Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse Statue at Walt Disney World Resort

Epcot Video Flashback: Watch Spaceship Earth Emerge

posted on October 1st, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Our look into Epcot history continues this week with a rare timelapse video that shows the construction of the park’s iconic attraction, Spaceship Earth.

This clip shows the construction of the attraction’s external geosphere from start to finish. Inside, the attraction told (and continues to tell) the story of human communication and the many technologies we’ve used over the years to express ourselves and connect with others.

The attraction opened 30 years ago today, on October 1, 1982. Happy anniversary!

Take a look back at Epcot in the posts below:

Filed: Disney History, Epcot, Walt Disney World Resort

5 Comments 1 Reply

Mark on October 1st, 2012 at 9:17 am

Love this video! Heading out today to help your birthday! Happy 30th Epcot!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on October 1st, 2012 at 10:24 am

Thank you, Mark. Have a blast. :)

melissa on October 1st, 2012 at 9:48 am

happy 30th birthday Epcot!!

Amber on October 1st, 2012 at 10:52 am

Thank you for this post and video. Epcot is my family’s favorite Disney park, and Spaceship Earth happens to be a family favorite as well. Since I’m a speech-language pathologist while my husband is an electrical engineer, it makes sense that we both enjoy a ride about communications technologies! However, we’ve been delighted to discover that our preschoolers and toddlers adore this ride too (and ask to go on it multiple times during our visits). Happy 30th Anniversary Epcot and Spaceship Earth!!

Sean from GA on October 1st, 2012 at 12:09 pm

You don’t look a day over 25. I can remember when you were just on the Horizons and Figment of my Imagination.

Andrew from NH on October 5th, 2012 at 9:42 am

I was wondering if Disney or any other writer has ever made a good book detailing the concept to construction of Spaceship Earth or EPCOT. I would like to read the history of the this park in more depth. As a kid I never liked EPCOT, as an adult I love it.