'World of Color' at Disney California Adventure Park

All in the Details: Exploring the Queue at Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid in New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park

posted on November 13th, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Many of our readers have been asking for an update on one of New Fantasyland’s big new attractions: Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid, so that’s exactly where we’re heading today!

One of the most amazing aspects of this attraction is the external/internal queue area and how guests immediately become enveloped in the story of “The Little Mermaid” even as they first approach the attraction. So, let’s go for a little photo exploration, shall we?

Upon arriving at the attraction, guests spot Prince Eric’s lovely castle, which sits high atop a seaside cliff. This is sure to be a favorite area in New Fantasyland for photo takers of all skill levels.

Exploring the Queue at Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid in New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park Exploring the Queue at Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid in New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park

The start of the queue is marked with the attraction’s marquee – a shipwrecked boat with Ariel as the figurehead. Be sure to notice the small details here that really make this ship look like it’s been wrecked for ages, including its decayed balustrades and barnacles.

Next, the queue leads you along a shoreline that’s occupied by starfish. Here, you’re surrounded by rushing waterfalls and lapping tide pools that are littered with pieces of long-lost ships.

Next, guests enter the grottos under the cliffs, and here they can see stashes of Ariel’s shipwrecked treasures – everything from dishes, and cups and saucers, to ships’ wheels and spyglasses.

And while I don’t want to give all the secrets of the attraction’s queue away here, you just might meet this fellow along the way.

See more from the “All in the Details” series in the posts below:

Filed: Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

jennifer on November 13th, 2012 at 4:20 pm

We will be going back to disney for the first time sense our make a wish trip in 2010. Our then 2 yr old had just finished treatment for cancer and we hurried to do his trip to make sure he was well in case he relapsed. he did not and is still cancner free after 2 yr and we are waiting until 12/22 to go to make sure we see the new fantisy land! We are all super excited and I have love seeing all the blog post! Thanks for all the update!
A excited mom!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 13th, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Jennifer – I’m so happy that your child is doing well. That is great to hear. I hope you all enjoy your trip in December and have a very special holiday season.

Marc on November 13th, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Absolutely great news Jennifer, that will make for a really enjoyable and memorable vacation.

We’re hoping to get there next year, looking forward to the new changes!

Kelly on November 13th, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I want to get married here some day!! My 5 year old self would be losing her mind over something like this. Who am I kidding, my 27 year old self now is kind of flipping out!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 13th, 2012 at 8:46 pm

That would be amazing!

Erin on November 13th, 2012 at 5:42 pm

While I know the Grand Opening is December 6th, will this be open sooner than that??? We are going to be there November 27th-December 6th.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 13th, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Yes, the entire New Fantasyland area opens in Preview Period on Nov. 19. This means the new attractions, etc., will be in operation, but may have limited operating hours. Best of luck!

Lauren on November 13th, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I can not wait to go back next fall. I havent been since I was in Primary school, we are so ready to go back! Can’t wait to see it next October!! :)

Ruth on November 13th, 2012 at 6:11 pm

It looks amazing. I was there the first week of October and was able to sneak a peek. It is going to be BIG! I can’t wait to go back to WDW soon!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 13th, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I agree. I’ve seen it in person and it’s amazing.

linda on November 13th, 2012 at 6:12 pm

This all looks and sounds so amazing!!!! Can’t wait till it opens!!:) Is it actually a ride? No matter what it is I am sure it’s going to out of this world!!!:)

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 13th, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Of course! Check out this previous blog post: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/09/all-in-the-details-the-first-photos-from-under-the-sea-journey-of-the-little-mermaid-at-magic-kingdom-park/

Martine from VA on November 13th, 2012 at 6:13 pm

We were there 1 week ago and were lucky enough to see it all! I took over 50 photos because Ariel’s grotto is so beautiful. The line was a bit long and then we realized why- everyone is playing with the little blue crabs! They are worth waiting for. Ariel was beautiful and so sweet. I must ask what happened to her beautiful statue that used to be in her grotto? We were hoping they would bring that back as well. Overall the entire New Fantasyland experience is so magical!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 13th, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I do believe that Prince Eric’s Castle just might be one of the most photographed areas once New Fantasyland opens. It is simply amazing!

Hillary on November 13th, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I can’t wait to see it in February! Kelly: my 27 year old self is freaking out as well! :)
And Jennifer: Congrats on your child being CF! Enjoy it and celebrate! :)

Jason on November 13th, 2012 at 6:49 pm

My wife and I are trying to go down for our first anniversary, we made it down last year for our honeymoon ! It was amazing, our first trip down, we had the time of our lives. HOWEVER, my wife has always been a Little Mermaid fan and Ariel’s grotto was closed and there was no sign of her or prince Eric !!!

All we are hoping for waiting on now is for the free dining plan to be extended into May so we can book for the first full week of May !!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 13th, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Ariel’s new meet-and-greet location in New Fantasyland is getting rave reviews so far. Be sure to check it out when you visit.

Nicole on November 13th, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I can’t wait to see New Fantasyland. I’ll be there November 28th to December 5th. Everything that you have shown us looks so wonderful!
Jennifer, could you please tell me what “preview” means? Will the 2 castels be open all day long, or only on special days?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 13th, 2012 at 8:51 pm

One castle houses Be Our Guest restaurant (Beauty & The Beast themed), and the other houses Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid. These locations are included in the Preview, but since it is a preview phase, may experience limited operating hours.

Carolyn on November 13th, 2012 at 7:24 pm

These posts make me wanna be a Disney blogger even worse!!! The new FantasyLand addition looks amazing and I am SO “jelly (fish)”!!! lol

Sherry on November 13th, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I am so excited to come back here and see this amazing attraction! It looks amazing!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 14th, 2012 at 9:27 pm

The level of detail here is unreal. Wait until you see it with your own eyes. :)

ina from utrecht on November 14th, 2012 at 8:10 am

I am glad I can make some photo’s then because I am coming there between 26th nov- 3 dec!

David on November 14th, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Don’t forget the tribute to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea attraction. Kudos to the Imagineers for carving out the Nautilus into the rock work. Look for it in one of the tide pools.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 14th, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Yep, that is super cool.

jason on November 14th, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Looking forward to arriving at the MK on Thanksgiving morning!! Any chance there will be previews for the New Fantasyland prior to the grand opening on 12/6?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 14th, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Yes! Preview period for the whole area starts Monday (Nov. 19)!

Allie on November 14th, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I’m SO excited to see this in person on December 6th! :)

Is it just me, or does that little crab look like the crab in Finding Nemo (the one who stands on the pipeline)?

Is the crab part of the Scuttle Scavenger Hunt thing? I keep hearing it mentioned, but I haven’t actually discovered what it is yet.

And last question: is Prince Eric anywhere in the new area? I loved meeting him with Ariel after the Grotto closed.

Brenda on November 16th, 2012 at 7:22 am

Disney World, Here We Come, Leaving Indiana today Be there Monday Thanksgiving Week 2012. Our Very First Time. My husband and I are going together. I CAN’T WAIT!!!! :)

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 16th, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I hope you have a great time.

Carilynn on November 18th, 2012 at 10:38 am

Are there any plans for an Ariel-themed dining experience? We’ll be there in February for my daughter’s 5th birthday and Ariel is her favorite princess. I’d love for her to experience breakfast or lunch with Ariel. Any suggestions?

Al from PA on November 18th, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Leaving on Wed evening for our annual Holiday trip to Disney, staying at Wilderness Lodge, Bay Lake Towers and Animal Kingdom Lodge. I think I’m more excited than the kids! I can’t wait to check out new Fantasyland.

Christopher on December 8th, 2012 at 10:32 pm

My family and I visited Disney’s California Adventure right after Thanksgiving and got on the Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid attraction. Although the queue at WDW looks much nicer, the actual ride looks to be the same. My question is, what happened to the original attraction that was planned many years ago for a Little Mermaid themed ride but was never built? I have the Little Mermaid movie and one of the extras has an entire walkthrough of the “theme ride that was almost built”. That ride looks spectacular and was wondering why it was changed.