Cars Land at Disney California Adventure Park

Creating Holiday Traditions on Buena Vista Street at Disney California Adventure Park

posted on November 1st, 2012 by Shawn Slater, Communications Manager, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Creative Entertainment

Buena Vista Street is filled with dreams of a bright future for all, and this Yuletide season promises to be even brighter as this happy, bustling community celebrates its first Christmas with joyous new traditions.

Shopkeepers up and down the street have decorated for the holidays, but inside the lavish Elias & Co. department store, they’ve gone all out to create a winter wonderland for the arrival of Santa Claus. Here, wide-eyed children may take a seat alongside the jolly old elf to share with him their fondest wishes for Christmas morning.

Another new idea really struck a chord after a holiday committee meeting of the Buena Vista Street Chamber of Commerce. Wishing to serve their community, eight individuals decided to form a volunteer holiday troupe, calling themselves the Buena Vista Street Community Bell Ringers. Acting as a spirited, traveling “welcome wagon” to anyone visiting this friendly neighborhood, the Bell Ringers take their festive cheer to the street, encouraging others to join in spontaneous ring-along sing-alongs of familiar holiday tunes.
Celebrating the Holidays on Buena Vista Street at Disney California Adventure Park

As dusk falls each evening, the Buena Vista Street Community Bell Ringers will gather in Carthay Circle with their fellow Citizens of Buena Vista Street. The sound of bells rings out, and everyone is invited to join together in the lighting of the town’s Christmas tree, wishing goodwill and joy to one and all!

You’re all invited to come join in the merriment, November 12 through January 6, at Disney California Adventure park.

Read more about Buena Vista Street in these posts:

Filed: Disney California Adventure Park, Disneyland Resort

Lisa on November 1st, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Sounds wonderful! Can not wait till our trip in early December and to hear about more holiday offerings!

Shawn Slater on November 1st, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Lisa – Stay tuned! We have a lot more to share about all the fun holiday happenings around the resort.

Carolyn from CA on November 1st, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Looking forward to seeing the holiday decorations at both parks. I think I’ll be spending almost every weekend visiting one or the other park in November and December

Danielle from FL on November 1st, 2012 at 1:42 pm

That gave me goosebumps, can’t wait for our visit either!

April on November 1st, 2012 at 1:51 pm

So will the tree be behind the statue of Walt then?

Shawn Slater on November 1st, 2012 at 4:39 pm

April – Yes. In that small plaza right behind the Storytellers statue, near Carthay Circle. It’s going to be a unique, community-style tree. Should be beautiful!

Sherry from CA on November 1st, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I am so unbelievably excited about this year’s holiday season. I’ve always adored the holidays at Disneyland, but over the years some seasons have been better and more magical than others. Between Buena Vista Street’s festivities, the Cars Land decorations and the Candlelight Processional, I think this may be the best season in years! I cannot wait!

Kyna from CA on November 1st, 2012 at 2:19 pm

So excited!!! Can’t wait for November 12th!!!

Evelyn on November 1st, 2012 at 2:34 pm

counting down the days!! will be trying to visit every possible chance I get!! thanks for this blissful post :)

Shawn Slater on November 1st, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Evelyn – You’re very welcome. This is my favorite time of year, in the parks or anywhere. I was so excited for November to get here, so we could share it with all of you.

Jaime on November 1st, 2012 at 4:57 pm

So it says “they’ve gone all out to create a winter wonderland for the arrival of Santa Claus….Here, wide-eyed children may take a seat alongside the jolly old elf to share with him their fondest wishes for Christmas morning.” Will Santa be appearing on Buena Vista Street? Will he no loger take visitors in the cabin at Big Thunder Ranch? I just need to know where to take my kids to give him their lists. ;0) Thanks!

Shawn Slater on November 1st, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Jamie – As you know, Santa’s a busy guy this time of year! He’s making stops all over the world to meet with kids of all ages. When he’s at the Disneyland Resort, Santa will be visiting with children at both Buena Vista Street and Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree. We’ll have more to share about the seasonal fun in Frontierland very soon.

Fred from CA on November 1st, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I’m really looking forward to seeing Buena Vista Street and Cars Land all decked out for the holidays!

Corene from BC on November 1st, 2012 at 7:47 pm

I’ve never been to Disneyland at Christmas time, nor have I seen the new California Adventure with Carsland & Buena Vista Street. So I’m soooooo excited to be going in early December! I noticed on the park calendar/hours portion of the website that Disneyland Park isn’t listing the Christmas Parade after 29Nov. It doesn’t seem possible that the parade will not be running for the month of December – are you able to tell me if this is just slow being posted while logistics are sorted out around the Candlelight Cermony? (yet another thing I’m super excited to see). Christmas & Disney Parks – my two favourite things! Did I mention I’m super excited?! :-)

Sherry from CA on November 1st, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Jaime – Santa also regularly appears at each one of the Disneyland Resort hotels (Paradise Pier, Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californian Hotel) once the season is in high gear (usually not until Thanksgiving weekend and beyond, unless that changes this year). The photo spot at the Grand Californian Hotel is gorgeous. The tree in the Paradise Pier lobby is stunning. The backdrop in the Disneyland Hotel is quite elaborate and fun!

Juliette on November 1st, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Shawn, all of the thought and consideration of the Buena Vista Street Community is pulling together California Adventure in a way that has not been expressed before. Little touches like the bell ringers and the local newspaper are just endearing. Gone is the disconnect of the remodel. Hello community. The family cannot wait to attend.

Juliette

Shawn Slater on November 2nd, 2012 at 9:27 am

Juliette – I’m so glad you feel that way, too! The entire team at the Disneyland Resort has pored their heart and soul into Disney California Adventure. It’s become a really special place.

Corene from BC on November 1st, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Oops! Please disregard the question above about the Christmas parade… I just looked again & I guess the info got updated since this morning! Soooo looking forward to this trip! (And it’s a surprise for my 9 year old son, which makes it even more exciting! :-)

Shawn Slater on November 2nd, 2012 at 9:29 am

Corene – You had me double-checking things for a second there! I’m glad you have all the information you need. You and your son are going to have a wonderful time!

J.D. from OR on November 1st, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I’ve spent several Christmases at Walt Disney World, but this will be my first one at Disneyland Resort, and the first visit since just before the lagoon was drained for World of Color. I’m so excited I could bust.

Brad from NM on November 2nd, 2012 at 1:14 am

Awesome! we did Disney World for the holidays & can’t wait to get to Disneyland this year over Thanksgiving weekend to soak all the holiday goodness DL and DCA have to offer :)

Joshua on November 2nd, 2012 at 9:12 am

I cannot wait to see the new Christmas setup! I am also eagerly awaiting the Cars Land’s Christmas setup too. I cannot wait to head down to DLR to see everything when it’s up.

Shawn Slater on November 2nd, 2012 at 9:31 am

Joshua – We’re in the holiday home stretch now! Our team will be in the parks overnight for the next week or so, getting everything ready. It’s going to be spectacular!

linda on November 6th, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Soooo EXCITED!! Got watery eyed just reading your blog Shawn, thanks a bunch!!! :)