Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

First Look: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow Opens at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

posted on November 8th, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Ahoy pirates fans! We have an update to share with you today on Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow, an attraction that’s coming soon to Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

Our friends at Walt Disney Imagineering just shared these first renderings of what you can expect at this new walk-through attraction when it officially opens on December 6. In it, guests will journey deep into an eerie lost grotto, where a mysterious pirate skull puts them to the test to see if they have what it takes to set sail with the legendary Captain Jack Sparrow. Along the way, they must face all the perils of a pirate’s life as their favorite moments from the films come to life before their eyes.

Dress rehearsals and previews begin in late November before the grand opening on December 6. So, what do you think? Tell us in the “Comments” section below, and stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more updates on this new attraction.

Look below for more news from Disney’s Hollywood Studios:

Filed: Disney's Hollywood Studios, Walt Disney World Resort

Lisa-Rose on November 8th, 2012 at 11:09 am

This looks amazing!!! Where in the park will it be located? Is it taking the place of an older attraction? Can’t wait to visit!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 12th, 2012 at 9:20 am

Where the Narnia walk-through attraction was.

Donna on November 8th, 2012 at 11:13 am

I can not wait for my family and I to see all the new attractions at Wald Disney World. We will arrive on December 15th, only 37 days to go. :)

Barbara from MI on November 8th, 2012 at 11:26 am

I was going to ask the same question Lisa-Rose did–where is this? And happy for Donna and her family…and incredibly jealous!

Amanda on November 8th, 2012 at 11:28 am

I think this is where the old Narnia walk-throughs used to be. So glad it’s being revamped!

Joseph on November 8th, 2012 at 11:30 am

Its right by Toy Story Maina on Minnie Lane – we were there when they were painting the outside and were just mezmerized at how they were doing it all and got a few photos during the day of how fast they work also!! We cant wait to get back there and walk through this

Mark on November 8th, 2012 at 11:31 am

This looks really awesome! I get the feeling that the Imagineers have been wanting to do a POTC attraction based more on the movies without having to completely gut and redo the original POTC attraction.

Wesley on November 8th, 2012 at 11:32 am

i cant think of the old ride, but it looks like it over by toy story mania….

peter on November 8th, 2012 at 11:33 am

Nice! Reminiscent of the original design for Pirates as a walk through wax museum!

Tena from AB on November 8th, 2012 at 11:44 am

What’s with so many new things opening Dec 6th??? My holiday ends Dec 9 I can’t be in all these places at the same time….. Fantasyland expansion, Test Track, now Pirates walk through…. very exciting but not enough holiday time left.

Todd on November 8th, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Thank you for the information. Will this attraction be age appropriate for small children?

Danielle on November 8th, 2012 at 12:03 pm

You sure are all keeping yourself mighty busy on December 6th!! Hope they give you all lots and lots of coffee. ;)

Eddie on November 8th, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Will this attraction include a meet and greet with Captain Jack Sparrow? The Narnia walkthru did have a meet & greet with Prince Caspian.Hoping this would be a permanant M&G for this extemely popular character.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 12th, 2012 at 9:22 am

No word on a meet & greet. Let me look into it.

Lisa from WI on November 8th, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Yay, so excited, love Pirates! Only 35 days before i’ll be able to experience it!

David from TX on November 8th, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Hoping for a soft open. We’ll be at DHS on 12/2 and would love to have a look at this!

Brian on November 8th, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Sounds like December 6th will be a busy day at WDW. I’m glad that I’ll be there.

Kelly on November 8th, 2012 at 12:32 pm

December 6 is shaping up to an epic day in WDW history! I can’t wait for December 12- I’ll be there! There will be so many new (and old favorites) to take in!

DENNIS on November 8th, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Just got back from a week at WDW, lots of fun and sun 80º we all 15 did not want to go home ,but you must return to the real world. till next time happy 15

Samantha on November 8th, 2012 at 1:31 pm

This is awesome! I am so excited to go to Disney World again. It seems that new attractions are coming out everyday (almost Disney’s early Christmas presents). I wonder what new things they are going to be coming out with next? hmm :) March 2013 Here I come! :)

Amy on November 8th, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I want to echo Todd’s question–we arrive with our three-year-old just in time for the opening, and we’ve been cautious about attractions that might prove a little to scary for her.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 12th, 2012 at 9:21 am

I have a little one, too. Let me ask around.

Debra from CA on November 8th, 2012 at 1:33 pm

We we had it here in Calif.

Miriam on November 8th, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Can’t wait! I’ll be there on December 9th!

Cori on November 8th, 2012 at 2:29 pm

It used to be the Narnia thing, you know the one no one ever went to!! LOL

Christopher from CA on November 8th, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Wow, so much will be opening before we get there at the end of December!

Sandy on November 8th, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Is the Dec. date the grand opening, or is it going to be available to see it at Thanksgiving?

JOANN on November 8th, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Saw them painting this last week when we were there – cannot wait for our next trip in February – love anything related to the POTC movies!!!!

Allie on November 8th, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I am so excited about this!!! Pirates of the Caribbean is one of my favorite movies; I can’t wait to see this experience!

So much is opening on December 6th! The Fantasyland Expansion, the new Test Track, and now this! I’m going for the Expansion opening, and it’s a short trip, so I don’t know if I’ll be able to go to other parks. Luckily, we’re planning to go to HS to see the Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights anyway, so hopefully I’ll be able to see this too!

PLEASE say that Captain Jack Sparrow will have a meet-and-greet spot here! He’s one of my favorite characters, but you see him out so rarely.

Mitchell from IL on November 8th, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Jennifer, do you know how long this walk through will be active? We’ll be there the week before it opens (darn), but will return in March 2013. I assume this is located where the Narnia exhibit was housed? Thanks for you help, and keep up the good work of keeping us well informed here on DisneyParksBlog.

Kathy from IN on November 9th, 2012 at 8:32 am

Any chance of a late November soft opening :)????

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 12th, 2012 at 9:21 am

I have no update on this. Stay tuned!

Lana on November 9th, 2012 at 9:38 am

I can’t wait! Please tell me there will be a meet and greet with Capt. Jack????

John from TX on November 11th, 2012 at 7:41 am

Love it. As a pirates fan, we need more! Can’t wait to see it in March. Hopefully it is more engaging than the Narnia exhibit.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 12th, 2012 at 9:20 am

I love pirates, too. Can’t wait until it opens. :)

Renee on November 11th, 2012 at 10:16 pm

This is something great! I cannot wait to experience it!

Kelly on November 12th, 2012 at 8:40 am

I was at the Studios a couple of days ago & didn’t even see this! I can’t wait! I also would like a soft-opening and meet and greet. It is brilliant how Disney is opening a bunch of rides on Dec. 6 and then each one won’t be as crowded.

michelle on November 12th, 2012 at 10:44 am

We’ll be headed to WDW next week and will miss the “official” openings of the many new attractions. :( However, on our return in March we’ll be able to see the finished product. As the mom of an 8 year old pirate and an 11 year old pirate-princess, cannot wait to experience this!!

Anna on November 12th, 2012 at 11:53 am

My family and I are hoping to be there November 2013!! I hope this attraction is still there when we arrive. My nephew loves pirates and i love Captain Jack Sparrow! :-)

Robin on November 13th, 2012 at 11:15 am

We LOVE the pirates movies so can’t wait to see what this is going to be like. We are coming down in Feb so this is going to be another thing we need to see. Hope they have a meet and greet with the great Capt Jack Sparrow.

Steve on November 13th, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Hi Jen,

I have a 4 and 3 year old. Think this will be too scary for them?

Robin on November 13th, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I can’t wait for this new attraction. I love the Pirates ,the movies and the ride at Disney World,and can’t wait to see this.We won’t be there till Dec of 2013,by then most of the new attractions in Magic Kingdom will be complete.

Sam on November 13th, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Jack Sparrow is NEVER seen at Disneyland unless there’s a Pirate’s movie to promote. What’s up with that?

Carmen on November 14th, 2012 at 8:14 pm

awsome and cool

Sharon from FL on November 29th, 2012 at 4:28 pm

We got to attend a ‘soft opening’the other night. It was really well done – enjoyed it. Although I wouldn’t call it a ‘walk through’- more of a ‘stand through’ You enter the room, then stand and enjoy the show. Although there’re signs outside warning of ‘darkness and loud noise’, I can honestly say, it wasn’t that dark, and no really sudden loud noise, so most children shouldn’t have a problem, only those that would be nervous on the regular ‘POTC’ride or ‘Haunted Mansion’. They did a great job – it’s an interactive show and really fun.