Halloween at the Walt Disney World Resort

Mermaids Make a Splashing Debut at Pirates of the Caribbean at Walt Disney World Resort

posted on November 1st, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Last month, we hinted here on the Disney Parks Blog that something from the film “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides” would be added into the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction here at Walt Disney World Resort.
You Can Now See a Mermaid Skeleton in Pirates of the Caribbean at Walt Disney World Resort

These new additions, the lovely (but also dangerous) Mermaids of Whitecap Bay, recently made their debut at the attraction. You can spot them early on in the attraction’s grotto scene, where you can spy a mermaid skeleton and possibly even catch them swimming alongside your boat. You can also hear a mermaid beckon you with her siren song just before your drop into the pirate battle. Additional rockwork and props have also been added into the Dead Man’s Cove scene.

This isn’t the first time something from the “Pirates of the Caribbean” film franchise has debuted at our Pirates of the Caribbean attraction. Famous faces from the film, including Captain Jack Sparrow, Captain Barbossa, and most recently the ghostly apparitions of knaves Davy Jones and Blackbeard, have all materialized over the years.

Which addition has been your favorite? Tell us in the “comments” section below.

Read more news from Magic Kingdom Park in the posts below:

Filed: Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Brian on November 1st, 2012 at 9:19 am

I remember the first time I saw the Capt. Jack animatronic. I thought “Wow, that guy really looks like Johnny Depp. But why are they using live people on the ride now?”

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 1st, 2012 at 8:36 pm

It’s a GREAT animatronic!

Julie from NC on November 1st, 2012 at 9:28 am

I love the new additions. Especially the siren song. Makes so much sense that the mermaid would lead you to danger. Brilliant!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 1st, 2012 at 9:35 am

It sure is a cool concept. :) I love all the pirates films.

Angela on November 1st, 2012 at 9:51 am

I love the mermaids! However, I do think there should be a few more swimming along side of the boat. Believe it or not alot of people tend to miss it. Everyone on my boat thought I was crazy when I said “Look mermaids!!!!” and they completely missed them.

James on November 1st, 2012 at 10:20 am

You have to be quick to see them in the water. I almost missed them the first time, so I had to ride again (and again).

Joel from BC on November 1st, 2012 at 10:40 am

Nice! Can’t wait to ride and experience the new additions in January!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 1st, 2012 at 11:05 am

I hope you enjoy!

Michele from NJ on November 1st, 2012 at 11:11 am

We LOVED the additions – PotC has always been one of the best-detailed attractions in the Magic Kingdom, and adding the mermaids and their song just makes it better!

Elaine on November 1st, 2012 at 11:34 am

I love this! I’m just wild about mermaids. I’m hoping to make my first trip to WDW next year for my birthday, and this will be first on my list of attractions. Meanwhile, do you know if there are any plans to make these additions to Disneyland?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 1st, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I do not know. Please keep watching the blog for updates.

Fay on November 1st, 2012 at 11:55 am

Are the mermaids going to be added to the Disneyland ride in the future?

Diane on November 1st, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Can’t wait to see the Mermaids. Love this ride but my favorite addition was adding Captain Jack throughout the ride itself;-)

Michelle on November 1st, 2012 at 1:56 pm

So THAT’S what a mermaid skeleton looks like… I always wondered. :)

Can’t WAIT to see it in person – 42 days and counting!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 1st, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Have a great visit. :)

Gillian on November 1st, 2012 at 3:58 pm

So glad to hear Pirates of the Caribbean has added even more new additions! I’m excited to visit and see the mermaids. Disney is doing a great job of keeping this ride a classic by making subtle yet strategic changes. I feel like I find something new every time I’m on it!

Ron on November 1st, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Nice! Now they just need to replace Blackbeard with Barbosa and the line he had from the movie, “Mermaids. Sea ghouls, devilfish…dreadful in hunger for flesh of man. Mermaid waters, that be our path. Cling to your soul as mermaids be given to take the rest, to the bone. “

Allie on November 1st, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I can’t wait to see the mermaids in person! POTC is one of my favorite rides, and also one of my favorite movies, so I love it when they are combined!

My favorite change was definitely the Captain Jack Sparrow AAs. They are SO realistic! And I love Captain Jack Sparrow. :)

Kelly on November 1st, 2012 at 6:00 pm

That is soooo cool!!!

Stefani on November 1st, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I saw that!!! I saw the splashing mermaid in the water and it scared me because I wasn’t expecting it haha! Then I heard “jolly sailor man” playing in the background and saw the mermaid skeleton and I got so exited! What a great idea… I love it :)

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 1st, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I’m happy you liked it, Stefani.

Mitchell from IL on November 1st, 2012 at 6:34 pm

My favourite addition has been the Captain Jack Sparrow figure in the treasure room. Can’t wait to see the new mermaid addition in just 16 short days!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on November 1st, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I think Captain Jack is my favorite, but I love that they keep adding new things from the films throughout.

Meghann on November 1st, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I can’t wait to go this summer! I’ll be looking forward to seeing the new additions! Pirates is one of my favorite rides!

Barbara Daniela from ON on November 1st, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Subtle yet wonderful. It looks like the additions have always belonged – the perfect way to add to a classic attraction!

Holly on November 2nd, 2012 at 8:50 am

Cool, I love the mermaids!

Joshua on November 2nd, 2012 at 9:08 am

Sounds like a much needed addition to the WDW Pirates attraction. Saw a video on youtube of the new section, looks cool. Can’t wait to see it firsthand when I return to WDW next year.

Nick on November 2nd, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I love it! I think it adds a whole new dimension of creepiness that Pirates needed. Great addition!

John from MI on November 2nd, 2012 at 12:14 pm

i loved davy jones in the mist…bill nighy is the best… x_o

Chris on November 4th, 2012 at 2:20 pm

We are so excited about our next trip to WDW !!! Our last trip was in October of last year, and a lot has changed since then…We are hoping to be able to make the trip next October…Can’t wait to see the mermaids, and the new Fantasyland !!!

Chris on November 5th, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I really hope this addition is added at Disneyland! I really love the previous additions. It doesn’t change the ride at all. Just adds more to the story, and I love it! I still really think there should be a krakken tentacle somewhere near Barbosa’s ship :)