Disney Parks Blog Celebrates the 15th Anniversary of Rock 'n' Roller Coaster at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Vintage Walt Disney World: Robin Hood and Friends Visit Magic Kingdom Park

posted on November 8th, 2012 by Nate Rasmussen, Archivist, Marketing Resource Center

Today, back in 1973 Walt Disney Studios released the film “Robin Hood” across the United States.

'Robin Hood,' Released by Walt Disney Studios in 1973

Here’s a look at Little John, Prince John, Robin Hood and Friar Tuck walking near Cinderella Castle in Magic Kingdom Park from 1979.

Robin Hood and Friends Visit Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World Resort

I bet Sir Hiss is bummed he missed this gathering. He would have loved slithering in the grass. He Sherwood.

Filed: Disney History, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Douglas on November 8th, 2012 at 7:48 am

I love this! That’s what I would have seen if I had gotten to go from England to Walt Disney World when I was little! :( Can we have some vintage “The Rescuers” in the parks too please?

Philip on November 8th, 2012 at 8:06 am

The Robin Hood characters need to return to the parks for meet-and-greets again.

Jennifer on November 8th, 2012 at 8:10 am

I was 5 when this movie was released and it has been my favorite Disney movie ever since. I also treasure the photos of myself with Prince John and the Sheriff of Nottingham in the Magic Kingdom (1980s). Now the songs from the movie will be going through my head all day … :)

Jeffrey from NC on November 8th, 2012 at 8:34 am

Great post! Bring back the old characters!!

Chris on November 8th, 2012 at 8:55 am

This was one of my all-time favorite movies as a kid! Thanks so much for the trip down memory lane. I hope some of these characters will visit during the “Rare Characters” week for Limited Time Magic next year.

George on November 8th, 2012 at 9:30 am

It would certainly be great to see Robin Hood and Little John available for meets again, coming off the heels of their recent appearance on Modern Family.

Speaking of, how is Little John doing?

Barbara from ON on November 8th, 2012 at 11:01 am

We have a rare photo with Friar Tuck taken at Walt Disney World in January 2008. It is one of our favourites!

Katie on November 8th, 2012 at 11:02 am

This movie is one of my favorites and it is seriously underrated!

Veronica on November 8th, 2012 at 11:54 am

these guys should definitely be brought back for “Long Lost Friends” week!

Eddie on November 8th, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Wish they would bring more of the classic characters out in the parks. This way my kids would get the chance to meet them. My daughter meet Friar Tuck back in 2007 in Toontown in WDW. There are so many character my daughter was able to meet that my son won’t see. My daughter is only seven and my son is two. Already in the last couple years so many wonderful characters are now gone.

Laurie on November 8th, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Would LOVE to see more vintage character ornaments!

Nicholas on November 9th, 2012 at 8:46 am

I really hope robin hood and little John come out for limited time magic past friends week!

Sharon from TX on November 9th, 2012 at 2:51 pm

That would be great if they brought these characters back too! We have this movie and my 12 and 3 year old boys love it! I remember going to WDW in 1977 and we have pictures of Prince John greeting guests down in front of Cinderella’s Castle with several other characters…And whoever posted above about the Rescuers characters too…yes, I totally agree! I must say though that Disney has been doing great over the years bringing back older characters in with the new ones – :-)