Disneyland Park, Haunted Mansion Attraction Poster

Vintage Walt Disney World: Taking a Spin Through Tomorrowland

posted on November 29th, 2012 by Nate Rasmussen, Archivist, Marketing Resource Center

Today, back in 1974, Star Jets opened at Magic Kingdom Park in Tomorrowland. Below is a look at the attraction still under construction in June 1974.
“Star

Scaled-down Apollo-Saturn replica rockets propelled guests up to 60 feet above Magic Kingdom Park.
“Star

While guests can no longer hop aboard a Star Jet, the Astro Orbiter continues the legacy of space flight in Tomorrowland.

Look below for more posts from the “Vintage Walt Disney World” series:

Filed: Disney History, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

8 Comments 1 Reply

John on November 29th, 2012 at 11:37 am

I love vintage Walt Disney World photos like these. I just wish you posted higher resolution versions of them. There is so much detail to see and I’m sure my eyes are missing some of it. Please, please, please give us higher rez!!

Thanks for posting!

ryan from FL on November 29th, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Wow!
Everything looked so white and clean back then.

Joshua on November 29th, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I love how you can just make out that at the time of the picture the TTA was the WEDway PeopleMover!

Nate Rasmussen on November 29th, 2012 at 4:57 pm

You sure can. That second picture is from December 1975.

Jule on November 29th, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I would love to see Space Mountain construction. I did my Disney College Program there!

John from FL on November 29th, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Boy…did that bring back some great memories! I was 11-years-old when that picture was taken.
I, as well, would love to se more Vintage WDW photos of days gone by.

Christopher on November 29th, 2012 at 8:47 pm

As someone much to young to successfully recall Tomorrowland before the 1990′s refurbishment, this picture is one of the greatest things I have ever seen!!! I have a HUGE interest in the Walt Disney World I never got to see!!! (I would be interested in the Disneyland I never got to see as well, but I haven’t gotten to visit there just yet!)

Skip from FL on November 29th, 2012 at 11:53 pm

I spy something turquoise to the left of Space Mountain’s roof. Maybe those will return someday.

john from FL on December 23rd, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Different John,from Fla.That pic reminds me of the first time we went to WDW in 1978. Loved it then an LOVE it now.