Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland Park

Celebrating Walt Disney’s Birthday

posted on December 5th, 2012 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

It’s a special day here at Disney Parks – Walt Disney was born on this day in 1901. And to mark the occasion, we’re sharing a collection of rare and unique “header” images featuring Walt.

“Celebrating
“Celebrating
“Celebrating

If you’ve seen any of my social media presentations, you know I like to share early images of Walt behind the scenes working on projects and on the set of some of his TV projects. Today’s headers have all that and more. The collection is from the Walt Disney Imagineering Art Library and Walt Disney Imagineering Slide Library and you can see the entire group by clicking “refresh” or navigating to new Disney Parks Blog stories.

Let us know your favorite photo – or even favorite Walt quote – in honor of his birthday today.

Filed: Disney History, Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

Danielle on December 5th, 2012 at 8:40 am

Happy Birthday, Walt. Here’s a quote I like from Mr. Disney: “All the adversity I’ve had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me… You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.”

Mario on December 5th, 2012 at 8:41 am

“All the adversity I’ve had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me… You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.” – Walt Disney

Gary from GA on December 5th, 2012 at 8:48 am

the tag for all of me emails, “The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing”

Ryan from NC on December 5th, 2012 at 8:52 am

If I have one quote that I carry with me from Walt Disney, it is when he is speaking about Imagineering. It holds true in every aspect of life, and I think upon it often.

“There’s really no secret about our approach. We keep moving forward – opening up new doors and doing new things – because we’re curious. And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. We’re always exploring and experiencing.”

pam on December 5th, 2012 at 9:29 am

My favorite photo of Walt is one of him sitting on the floor in a bowler hat and and a pair of glasses with a fake nose and mustache (he looks a bit like Ed Wynn’s character Uncle Albert from Mary Poppins) playing with Diane and Sharon. My favorite quote is… “Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource…the minds of our children.”

Jonathan on December 5th, 2012 at 9:41 am

“If you can DREAM it, you CAN do it.” – Walt Disney. Quote that has changed my life. Thank you Mr. Disney.

Daniel from CA on December 5th, 2012 at 9:42 am

Thank You for posting these great pictures, I always try to celebrate at Disneyland but I am not able to this year! Walt has been a source of great pleasure for me! I consider my AP to be the cheapest therepy you could ever wish for!! Thank you Walt for everything you did to make this world a better place! XXOO

Craig on December 5th, 2012 at 9:44 am

Good morning, and Happy Birthday Walt!!! :). Actually heading to Disneyland for a few hours today. Guess one of my favorite pictures of Walt, is the current one that’s up on this site where he’s walking into Fantasyland alone. If I were in his shoes, and able to walk around a place that brings so much joy to people from all over the world, I would be blown away with emotion. Thank you Walt; Happy Birthday.

Mollie from MI on December 5th, 2012 at 9:57 am

I just did a personal philosophy project for my senior capstone class. One of the requirements was having a clear, concise statement. Mine was “It’s kind of fun to do the impossible”. What an amazing man, he influenced so many lives, mine included.

Jeff on December 5th, 2012 at 9:58 am

“Never forget, it was all started by a mouse.” Used it yesterday. Find it helps put things into prospective.

Kristine from IL on December 5th, 2012 at 10:01 am

My life would not be the same without the creative genius of Walter E. Disney! My favorite quote from Walt is: :If you can dream it, you can do it.” Happy Birthday Mr. Disney!

Lawrence on December 5th, 2012 at 10:04 am

Everyone have played that game if you could meet or have dinner with just one person, who would it be. Walt Disney would be that person.

Two of my all time favorite quotes from him are :: “A man should never neglect his family for business.” and ” I would rather entertain and hope that people learned something than educate people and hope they were entertained.”

Happy Birthday Walt Disney and Thank You for Mickey Mouse and all the Magic you created, it has made the world a better place.

liza from CA on December 5th, 2012 at 11:13 am

My favorite Walt Disney quote is
“I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.” Walt Disn.ey

Thank you for the pictures. I so enjoyed them

Jeff from FL on December 5th, 2012 at 11:18 am

My favorite Walt photo is the one of him walking through Sleeping Beauty Castle in CA before the park opened for the day. I have it posted at my desk. As for a quote, that would be:

“That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up.”

Matthew on December 5th, 2012 at 1:18 pm

So many good quotes, but one I really like is “It’s kind of fun to do the impossible.” Sums up the man’s hard work, optimism, and zest for life in one simple sentence.

Erica on December 5th, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Happy birthday Walt! Thank you for only brining us nothing but joy and happiness into our life’s! My fav quote is “if you can visualize it, if you can dream it, there’s always some way to do it” < Thanks Walt for all your wise. This one especially means a lot to me!!! Xo

Anthony on December 5th, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Walt Disney is my hero, happy birthday Walt!!!!!

Alison on December 5th, 2012 at 4:25 pm

“All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.”

The quote got me through so many times when all I wanted to do was bang my head against a wall in frustration, but now I’m living my dream — a dream that wouldn’t even exist had it not been for Walt and his ideas. Thanks, Mr. Disney!

ROILA on December 5th, 2012 at 5:04 pm

My favorite quote would be,”That’s the real trouble with the world;too many people grow up”. I’m a senior citizen,and more in love with the magic of Disney than ever! and I don’t ever plan on growing up!Thank you,Uncle Walt for your legacy of imagination and magic;and Happy Birthday!

Jessica on December 5th, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Happy birthday Walt Disney! You are such an inspiration to me!

Ryan on December 5th, 2012 at 6:40 pm

All of your dreams can come true if you have the courage to peruse them.

Terri on December 5th, 2012 at 9:43 pm

My favorite Walt Disney quote:
“It’s kind of fun to do the impossible.”

Heather on December 6th, 2012 at 7:24 am

“The most important thing is family.” ~ Walt Disney

Nathan on December 7th, 2012 at 3:24 pm

“What ever you do, do it well. Do it so well that when people see you do it they will want to come back and see you do it again and they will want to bring others and show them how well you do what you do.” I’m an actor, and I think of this everytime I go on stage. Walt’s dreams and ideals mean so much to me. Walt made his dreams a reality, I try to remember that every day, anything is possible! Happy Birthday Uncle Walt!

john from FL on December 9th, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I grew up from watching Disney on TV[Black&white]back in the 50s[That is the 1950,s]First time at WDW was in 1978, have watched Disney grow at every Park WDW,Epcot& Animal Kingdom. Also all the resorts.I guess one of the reasons, I have always enjoyed Disney He Looked a lot like my DAD.