Spaceship Earth at Epcot

Christmas Goodies from Germany Pavilion in World Showcase at Epcot

posted on December 19th, 2012 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

Stein Inspired by the Germany Pavilion at Epcot

I love visiting World Showcase at Epcot during the holidays! There are so many yuletide traditions to enjoy including the beautiful Candlelight Processional at the American Gardens Theatre (I never tire of that show!). For as long as I’ve worked for Disney, I’ve done most of my holiday shopping each year in World Showcase. I have found many wonderful and unique gifts for my friends and family, all while pretending I’m an international jetsetter. This year, I was drawn to the festive Germany Pavilion (maybe it’s because I’m part German). Here is a look at a few items I found during a recent visit.

One of my favorite items is the handcrafted limited edition stein inspired by the Germany Pavilion. Made from German clay, the stein was created by the artisans of King-Werk, a family owned business located in Hoehr-Grenzhausen, Germany. There were 5,000 steins made, and each one is individually numbered by the painter and signed by the modeler.
Treats from Karamell-Küche at the Germany Pavilion in Epcot

Germany Pavilion is home to one of my favorite consumables locations, Karamell-Küche. Besides the deliciously sweet caramel treats offered in this location, you can find additional treats in a special area next to the Pavilion. Disney chefs partnered with the Werther’s Original caramel team to create two must-try beverages. The Hot Salted Caramel drink is heavenly, while the Spiced German Tea with whipped cream and caramel drizzle may be one of my favorite beverages from 2012.
Ornaments from the Germany Pavilion at Epcot

Guests visiting this special area can also meet Reinhard Herzog, who is making beautiful glass ornaments on site through December 22. There are a variety of shapes, styles and colors of ornaments offered, including snowmen and Mickey Mouse icons.

In Die Weihnachts Ecke (The Christmas Corner) location, you can find the traditional (and popular) German pickle ornament. According to tradition, the pickle brings good luck and is the last ornament placed on a tree. On Christmas morning, the first child to find the pickle is given an extra gift from St. Nicholas.
Shirts from the Germany Pavilion at Epcot

German pickles were also featured on one of three new shirts designed by artists from Disney Design Group. You may recall a similar art program in Norway Pavilion that put Disney characters in Norwegian settings.

Frohe Weihnachten!

Read more about holiday celebrations at Epcot in these posts:

Filed: Epcot, Walt Disney World Resort

Jennifer on December 19th, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I wish I could do my holiday shopping at Epcot! I’d probably end up with a lot of presents for myself though… maybe it’s a good thing I can’t.

Even though I don’t quite love pickles, I’m loving that shirt with Donald and Chip n Dale!

Brandi from FL on December 19th, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Sorry to say, but the pickle is folklore. German’s open gifts on Christmas Eve, not Christmas morning. I have never found a native German (I come from a huge family of them) that has heard of this tradition except through American’s asking it. And in Germany Santa comes at the beginning of the month. I don’t mean to be Scrooge McDuck, but it needs to be told as folklore and not tradition.

Steven Miller on December 20th, 2012 at 10:00 am

@Jennifer – World Showcase is one of my favorite spots to shop for the holidays or really any other time!

@Brandi – Thanks for the comment and sharing your insight. Then we will call it folklore tradition. :-) Being 50-percent Slovak, I grew up with Slovak traditions. For Christmas Eve dinner, we typically had sauerkraut soup and fish. My grandmother would also place on the table some straw, a spool of thread, garlic and honey. They were all supposed to symbolize something for the coming year. And I recall placing shoes by the front door on December 6 for St. Nicholas Day. I hope you have a great Christmas!

Samantha from LA on December 20th, 2012 at 1:27 am

is there anyway to buy one of those shirts , its probably a long shot asking .

Ashley from WV on December 20th, 2012 at 7:47 am

Are the t-shirts in the photos above available online? I love the Biergarten design!!

Steven Miller on December 20th, 2012 at 10:05 am

@Samantha and Ashley – Your best option would be to contact Disney Parks and Resorts Merchandise Guest Services at 1-877-560-6477 or send an email to: merchandiseguestservices@disney.go.com

Please reference these item numbers:

Donald Duck Pickle Tee:

Small – 400006730770
Medium – 400006730787
Large – 400006730794
X-Large – 400006730800
2X-Large – 400006730817

Tammy from ON on January 10th, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Thanks for the info on merchandise services.
As we brought back 3 of the Reinhold Herzog, blown glass Mickey Mouse heads for Christmas presents.

And now we have people asking how to get them.
I found a link on the Disney Store web page but the are sold out and only offer 1 color.

You wouldn’t have items numbers for them would you?
Thank-you
Tammy

Dustin on January 10th, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I wanted to thank Disney for the Park- (indeed Pavilion-) specific merchandise, including the Disney characters on the apparel. Park-specific merchandise is all the more unique, and thus fun to have!