Halloween at the Walt Disney World Resort

Disney Dragon Mission: Accomplished! I Found My Flying, Fire-Breathing Friend in New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park

posted on December 5th, 2012 by Gary Buchanan, Social Media Managing Editor

After weeks of poring through page after page on the Internet, studying grainy video, hearing reports of strange encounters and trying to make sense of archival photos from another era, I finally saw the Dragon tonight.

The graceful, fire-breathing creature made his grand entrance tonight in the night skies over Magic Kingdom Park. The majestic, reptilian-like wonder soared high above New Fantasyland, and then roared loudly (in what sounded like roars of joy…if my dragon-speak translation skills are what they used to be).

Sources tell me the Dragon made this special appearance tonight because he was drawn to the New Fantasyland Grand Opening Celebration. As he disappeared into the darkness, I was left wondering if we would ever see him again. There were plenty of cameras on hand to capture this magic moment, and the Disney Parks Blog captured this stunning video of him. Take a look. And don’t forget to check out my Disney Dragon Tumblr site for more.

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Jordan on December 5th, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Very cool! Nice Work TDO

Brian on December 5th, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Awesome!

Billy from NC on December 5th, 2012 at 8:29 pm

One night only!?! Looks like we all missed out.

Mary from MN on December 5th, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Awesome! So wish I was there tonight!

Mary

Craig on December 5th, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Awesome!

Cole on December 5th, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Please be for more than one night!

Richard on December 5th, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Awesome!

Adriana from FL on December 5th, 2012 at 8:53 pm

That’s crazy!!!!!! Disney NEVER ceases to amaze me!

Alex on December 5th, 2012 at 8:56 pm

This is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing! Can’t wait to hear about all the other fun details tomorrow will bring!!

Ella from IN on December 5th, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Oh wow, does anyone remember the sketches that were around like a year ago of a dragon and no one knew what they were doing? Looked a lot like this one. That is so awesome.

ryan from FL on December 5th, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Normally I’d be one of the people making an “Animal Kingdom” comment. But…this is just so truly incredible. To see something like that in the skies above Walt Disney World, is the very magic and wonder that Walt himself wanted to bring.
I’m blown away.

Laura on December 5th, 2012 at 9:00 pm

One nite… well i just hope that someday one day i will get to see our flying friend… Again

daniel on December 5th, 2012 at 9:04 pm

that was AWESOME, to bad it seems like a 1 time thing, they should do it for like special shows and bring in lots of people

Eric from MI on December 5th, 2012 at 9:07 pm

This must have been fully awesome in person! Please tell me this is not a one time deal? My kids would would love to see this on New Year’s Day when we arrive.

Taylor from IL on December 5th, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Stunning!

DeeDee on December 5th, 2012 at 9:13 pm

This is sooo exciting. I really hope we will see this dragon more than just at the Opening Ceremonies of New Fantasyland. I really hope that he or she would be part of a new fireworks show.

Alana on December 5th, 2012 at 9:16 pm

I saw it from the monorail! Amazing! I hope he stays around.

Derek on December 5th, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Do you know if the dragon will make any other appearances or will be in the parks at all? It seems a little odd that they would make this dragon and only bring it out for one night. Also, this dragon is pretty cool and since it can shoot out fire should be integrated into a new fireworks show.

Debra from FL on December 5th, 2012 at 9:44 pm

So amazingly COOL!!!! I’m a local and would have been there in a hearbeat if I had known about his/her appearance!!!! I hope there will be more appearances in the future!!!!

Noah on December 5th, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Wow! That’s amazing! Will this dragon be making regular appearances at Disney.

Rachel from MT on December 5th, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Your saying he might not show up again? That would be silly, I have been looking for him! :(

GENE on December 5th, 2012 at 9:53 pm

You comment that you wonder if you will see the dragon again but your video clearly states this was a one time event. Can you clarify if there is any intent for WDW to have this be a reoccurring thing or if this was truly a one time event. Seems like a very large investment for a one time thing…

Michael on December 5th, 2012 at 10:06 pm

As cool as this is–please tell me this wasn’t just a one time thing? I hope this will be a nightly flyover!

Marissa from NC on December 5th, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Please make this a nightly thing in New Fantasyland. Please?? WOW. Just aren’t words to convey how great this is! Bravo!

Evan on December 5th, 2012 at 10:25 pm

We heard fireworks around 6pm and wondered why so early? My wife and I peaked out the window and BAM! Its huge! Pretty amazing! How does this work? What’s the story behind this? How does this fit into the rest of Fantasyland? AVATAR maybe? Never the less it blew our minds and look forward to seeing it up close in the park this weekend!

JANETTE from FL on December 5th, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Sweet! I hope to see him this Saturday night :))))))))

Mark on December 5th, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Soooo one night only? Ughhh thats such a bummer to be able to see it in person, but all in all looks really cool,

william from NJ on December 5th, 2012 at 10:41 pm

i love the dragon, super cool, and congrats, your search is over! …but i’ve been following your search thinking that i too may see this! like this weekend when we arrive in WDW… i’ve heard already from other sources, that the dragon sighting tonight may be the one and only flight. What say you kind sir? …and once again congrats and can’t wait to see New Fantasyland in 2 days and counting!

Tina from CA on December 5th, 2012 at 10:45 pm

That was amazing!!! I sure would love to see that here at Disneyland.

Jay on December 5th, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Awesome!!

kristel from WV on December 5th, 2012 at 11:10 pm

somehow I strongly feel this isn’t the last we’ll see of our dragon friend.

Theodore on December 5th, 2012 at 11:51 pm

That was unbelievably FANTASTIC! Congratulations to the Imagineers who made that possible.

Laura on December 5th, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Soooooooooo cool! I hope this comes back soon! Well done Disney!

Ashley on December 6th, 2012 at 5:12 am

I hope that this is not a one time event! I would love to see the dragon. HE should also make appearances at Mickey’s not so scary Halloween party

Jim from NY on December 6th, 2012 at 7:03 am

Totally amazing! I hope that’s not the last time we see it.

Kathyleen from IN on December 6th, 2012 at 7:04 am

This is by far one of the coolest things I have ever seen Disney do. Why was this for a one-time only press event? There were many guests following the videos expecting this to make a nightly, or weekly flight, and now we know it was a one time flight. Please, figure out a way to make this dragon a more common magical event for guests to experience just like the media did last evening.

Jonathan on December 6th, 2012 at 7:28 am

Really hope this wasn’t a one time thing for that Dragon. That was the most exciting thing to happen in the MK in years! I would love to see this on my next vacation, even if they only bring it out on the weekends. I honestly would be sad to find out I’ll never see this in person!

Tami from TN on December 6th, 2012 at 7:40 am

Absolutely FANTASTIC!!!!!! Only Disney could imagine & create something this incredible!!! Walt would be proud!

Jeanne from MN on December 6th, 2012 at 8:10 am

This is really fun! But I sure hope that after all the hype leading up to this, that the dragon doesn’t just fly off into history! Would love to see SOMETHING going forward that links the dragon to the Enchanted Forest…otherwise, it really just doesn’t make much sense.

Roger from AR on December 6th, 2012 at 8:16 am

I trust this wasn’t a one time appearance of the dragon. At the very least, he should come out for special occasions.

David on December 6th, 2012 at 8:46 am

That was definitely worth the wait. Just wish I could have been there to see it in person. Thanks for keeping our curiosity piqued, Gary.

Ella from IN on December 6th, 2012 at 9:27 am

Does anyone else remember seeing sketches about a year ago i think of a creature much like this dragon? I even think there were folks talking about someone testing a prototype? It is so cool to see him come alive. What a great Disney magic for Fantasyland.

Scott from IL on December 6th, 2012 at 9:41 am

Let me join in the chorus who say bravo to a very successful and convincing Ddagon, and PLEASE do not let this be a one time thing. If this dragon is a one-time dragon, then I truly hope that it has “cousins” that show up someday flying over the floating mountains of Pandora…

Shawn on December 6th, 2012 at 10:14 am

Wow! That was incredible! 7 days to go and I will get to see my favorite place in the World! Magic Kingdom here I come!

Lisa from NJ on December 6th, 2012 at 10:16 am

Please let them do this again! More exciting than new fantasyland!

Jodi from WI on December 6th, 2012 at 11:10 am

From someone who is ALMOST as crazy about dragons as she is Disney, this was a totally AWESOME feat! Bravo, Imagineers! But please… (I’m begging here down on one knee)… let the Dragon be more than a one time thing!!!!!!!!! :)

David on December 6th, 2012 at 11:38 am

Going back to the Animal Kingdom posts, rumors and speculation; perhaps this is a sign. Perhaps an end to the Fantasyland expansion means it’s time for WDW to get to work on the Animal Kingdom plans. The dragon at Magic Kingdom wasn’t so much a celebration of the beginning of the new Fantasyland but a celebration of the end of that project and a symbol of what’s to come.

Kevin on December 6th, 2012 at 11:42 am

That video looks awesome. Please, please make this part of a regular, nightly show at the Magic Kingdom!

Vanessa on December 6th, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I REALLY REALLY hope that this dragon will show up again so everyone can see this. This is absolutely fantastic!

Mark on December 6th, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Although I can’t see this being a one time thing (although Lucky the Dinosaur is another outstanding creation that has been pretty scarce of late), I really wouldn’t want to see it over DAK. I think the animals below might think of it as disturbing more than amazing.