Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom Park

A Look Back: Mickey’s Toontown Grand Opening Celebration at Disneyland Park

posted on January 24th, 2013 by George Savvas, Public Relations Director, Disneyland Resort

It was exactly 20 years ago that Mickey’s Toontown first opened its gates to Disneyland park guests and today we’re looking back at photos from the grand opening celebration attended by media from all over the world and some of Hollywood’s top talent including Robin Williams, Sally Field and Steven Spielberg.

“Harry

Filed: Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

Jessica on January 24th, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Oh my goodness! Look at how 90′s that was… haha those high waisted jeans that Sally Field wore… oh my gosh.

I was just four years old at the time, and my family went to go celebrate the opening not long after that celebration! So wonderful :)

Catherine from CA on January 24th, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Toontow is s a delightful gem of a town with so many cute touches. I just wish the Jolly Trolley was back in service; I miss it.

Jackie on January 24th, 2013 at 10:36 pm

What a surprise!! We took our four year son to the park for his first visit to Disneyland that day. I have pictures & video of Sally Field, Ted Danson, Whoopi Goldberg, Robin Williams, Candice Bergen riding in those vintage autos during a parade down Main Street. We were absolutely clueless as to the reason why so many movies stars were there that day. Twenty years later the mystery is solved.

Debbie on January 25th, 2013 at 10:00 am

We were just there! So much fun! Happy Birthday Toontown!

Fred from CA on January 25th, 2013 at 12:37 pm

I’m glad that Toontown is still around. I love Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin, and its great that people can walk through Mickey house and meet him in his movie barn. The imagineers are awesome. Keep up the great work.

Amber on January 25th, 2013 at 2:28 pm

I was there for my fifth birthday and everybody was so wonderful. Cast members sang Happy Birthday to me and cheered for me. It was the best way to celebrate my birthday. That is also the first birthday I can remember. I will always love Toontown for these special memories I have.

George on January 25th, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Great post! Ive heard that there were dozens of seldom seen characters at the opening. Do you have any more pictures of them to share? Even though the celeb pictures are amazing, Id love to see Roger and the Disney Afternoon gang in their hometown.