Show Disney.com Hide Disney.com
Celebrating the Holidays with Christmas Fantasy at Tokyo Disneyland

Fantasy Faire Architecture to Extend Fantasyland at Disneyland Park

posted on January 28th, 2013 by Erin Glover, Social Media Director, Disneyland Resort

If you’ve visited Disneyland park recently, you may have noticed that Fantasy Faire is quickly taking shape next to Sleeping Beauty Castle. Opening this spring, Fantasy Faire will not only be a home for Disney princesses, but it will also be a natural extension of Fantasyland. To find out how the look and architecture of this new area will be designed to flow with Sleeping Beauty Castle and Fantasyland, I went to the creative lead for the project: Michel Den Dulk, Creative Director, Walt Disney Imagineering.

Fantasy Faire Architecture to Extend Fantasyland at Disneyland Park

“My goal,” he said, “was that the new Fantasy Faire would meld over into the existing Fantasyland naturally.” He said that his intention would be for first-time visitors to never suspect that this addition came later than the rest of Fantasyland.

v

“I took a lot of inspiration from the classic Disney movies like ‘Pinocchio.’ There’s some reference that’s in the architecture to the way the backgrounds of ‘Pinocchio’ are drawn. I took inspiration from the castle – you’ll see that there’s a lot of gold finials and beautiful banners and turrets that are similar to Sleeping Beauty Castle … So it really looks like it’s all part of the existing Fantasyland.”

Another key piece of architecture in Fantasy Faire will be the Royal Theatre, which was the former Carnation Plaza Gardens Stage. “My main inspiration there,” Michel explained, “was a Gothic kind of fair. King Arthur Carrousel and all the structures surrounding Dumbo – those were the main inspiration for the theatre structure.”

We’ll have more updates on Fantasy Faire – including the opening date – here on the Disney Parks Blog in the coming weeks, so keep checking back!

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

Fred from CA on January 28th, 2013 at 2:21 pm

I really like how the architecture is an extension of the storybook village of Fantasyland.

As mentioned in the Blue Sky Cellar, I’m really looking forward to seeing the music box with Clopin. Also, I really like the fact that there will be a tribute to the Carnation Plaza Gardens. (A crest with the letters “CPG”

Also revealed in the Blue Sky Cellar, I’m really looking forward to seeing the animatronic of Figaro the cat and the bird.

Dinah on January 28th, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Can’t wait. I was at Disneyland the other day, and it looks like everything’s coming along nicely. Erin: Will there be any AP Previews, do you think? Or a meetup to celebrate the grand opening?

Robert from LA on January 28th, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Is there a possibility that the Royal Theatre will host any small shows/new entertainment experiences?

Grace on January 28th, 2013 at 5:34 pm

It has always been mine and my family’s dream to stay in anyone of the princesses’ castles, is this possible? Thank you so much! :)

Adam on January 28th, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Robert-

There will be two new shows in the Royal Theatre…

One will feature Belle, the Beast and other characters from “Beauty and the Beast”

The other will feature Rapunzel, Flynn and characters from “Tangled”

mike on January 29th, 2013 at 12:08 pm

The location of Fantasy Faire is where the Carnation Plaza and stage was located, correct?? Is Disneyland no longer going to have “swing bands and dancing” on the weekends??? or has it been relocated?? to where???

Led on January 29th, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Hi!
i have a question! POCAHONTAS is going to be in this new atracction? it´s going to be posible to take a picture with her and what princess are going to be there!

Thanks!

Lisa from OR on January 29th, 2013 at 12:54 pm

we are going to be there in May, I am so excited to see it!!

Fred from CA on January 29th, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Mike–

Swing dancing has been moved to Downtown Disney, in front of the ESPN Zone and AMC theaters.

Disney has stated that swing dancing will return to Disneyland when Fantasy Faire opens.

Last year, I did an online news search, and I found the following statement from Disneyland Resort spokeswoman Suzi Brown;

“Swing dancing will return to the park when the Fantasy Faire opens next year, the area is being designed to host a variety of entertainment, from princess meet-and-greets during the day, to a wide range of musical offerings, including our popular swing bands, in the evening.”

victoria on January 29th, 2013 at 5:02 pm

How will this change the geography or the lay out of the park? Is any additional square footage being added or is it all existing space? Is there any where online that has a view from above? I’m curious how it will look all together and can’t wait until I make it back in December! Thanks for the update!

Maryann from OR on January 29th, 2013 at 7:01 pm

I heard a rumor they was going to make a restaurant in the castle like they have in disneyworld Castle is that true?

Jerry on January 29th, 2013 at 7:17 pm

will they have listed the times in which curtain Princesses will be there?

Mary on January 29th, 2013 at 10:32 pm

I am so excited to see this I soooo hope it is open by mid April we are going from April 11- 16th. After the show will there be any way to get a picture with the Beast? I have been trying for over 10 years to get a pic with him!!!

Fred from CA on February 12th, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Just so others know, its now been said be some various news sources that swing-dancing may not return to the venue. It that is the case, I assume it that dancing will remain at Downtown Disney. Either way, I am excited about the new Fantasy Faire.