New York World's Fair 50th Anniversary

This Month in Disney History: ‘Disney’s Aladdin – A Musical Spectacular’ Opens at Disney California Adventure Park

posted on January 16th, 2013 by Erin Glover, Social Media Director, Disneyland Resort

In January 2003, Disney California Adventure park guests first journeyed to Agrabah with “Disney’s Aladdin – A Musical Spectacular.” Ten years later, more than 12 million guests have seen the show, and it’s still going strong! To celebrate this milestone, I’ve got some interesting numbers to share with you from this unique show.

• There are more than 100 performers in the show’s company.
  • As many as 35 cast members perform in the show each day.
  • There are 18 scene changes during each performance.
  • More than 40 wireless microphones are used in each performance.
  • There are 48 pieces of scenery on the stage, weighing more than 60,000 pounds.
  • The Hyperion Theater, where the show is performed, houses more than 600 conventional light fixtures and 90 moving lights.

And of course, there’s only one magical Genie! What is your favorite part of “Disney’s Aladdin – A Musical Spectacular”? Let us know in the comments!

Look below for more updates from Disney California Adventure park:

Filed: Disney California Adventure Park, Disney History, Disneyland Resort

John from NY on January 16th, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Wow 10 years! Awesome! Saw this show on the Fantasy back in April, and I actually preferred that version. Can’t wait to see it on Broadway next!

Craig from FL on January 16th, 2013 at 1:38 pm

My family and I finally made it out to CA for our very first trip to Disneyland last fall, and we LOVED this show! We always heard what a great show it was, and it was wonderful to finally see it!

Kathleen on January 16th, 2013 at 2:11 pm

The GENIE – oh my word he is so funny and keeps the show fresh. We are annual pass holders and this show we can see over and over because it is amazing and the Genie keeps us laughing the whole time he is on stage.

Alex on January 16th, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Any word on when the carpet might magically fly again? The show hasn’t been the same without it!

Val from BC on January 16th, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Love the show. Can I ask for the show to be scheduled for Wed. Feb. 27 – the one day we planned to visit?

Daniel on January 16th, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Saw this show on a 1st date, my date loved it. So much, that I decided to propose at the hyperion a year later.

Chris from CA on January 16th, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Such a great show. The Hyperion is a great relaxing theater. How many guests does the Hyperion Theater hold? Being a 45 minute show makes it almost Broadway quality and is so good. The Genie is always great and alway has some new jokes every time I see it.
I also miss the flying carpet, but I understand that it was removed for safety reasons. I would love for it to come back. I also miss Abu the monkey not being in the show, but that would be hard to pull off for a live show since he doesn’t speak.

Conner on January 16th, 2013 at 7:13 pm

and if your last name was pepper shaker…

Robert on January 16th, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Easily the best show I have seen at any theme park but a long shot, hands down. Last time I saw it, however, they did not have Aladdin and Jasmine on the flying carpet above the audience. Was the effect removed from the show or just not operating the day I was there? Still a great show.

Aaron on January 16th, 2013 at 10:44 pm

@chris: 1,893 seats.
also some other cool numbers:
4 Stage Managers per show
15 Technicians per show
3 Computers to run all the scenery (2 above the stage 1 below)
2 Lighting console to run the show (1 for conventional 1 for moving lights)

Ryan on January 17th, 2013 at 12:41 am

Congratulations on the 10 years. I’ve been coming back and seeing that show for 5 of them; caught the at sea version on the Disney Fantasy last year too!

Hillary on January 17th, 2013 at 3:30 am

To paraphrase the great Genie himself, “AlaJasFarPetTanNieGoArds, and an amazing chorus too!”

Debbie on January 17th, 2013 at 10:23 am

We LOVE this show! We try to see it every day when we are visiting the Park! The music, actors, stage, scenery and theater are all amazing! We tell everyone, “Don’t miss this!” when you’re visiting!

Leanne on January 17th, 2013 at 12:20 pm

We’ve seen the show 3 times over the years. My husband and I last saw it at the beginning of December (2012) but we hadn’t seen it since 2007. We both thought that the Aladdin and Jasmine characters flew above the audience on the magic carpet when we’d seen it before but that didn’t happen last time. Were we imagining things?

I remember when we took our kids, who were all in their 20′s. The boys couldn’t believe we were going to a “kiddie” show. But they loved it. It’s a show for all ages and I agree that the genie keeps things current. His jokes were very topical and current.

Joseph on January 18th, 2013 at 9:16 pm

The Disney Fantasy version is great, but there’s nothing like the original at Disney California Adventure park. Saw the show in 2011 and looking forward to experience it once again in February. :)

Ashley on January 22nd, 2013 at 2:43 pm

the genie of course and all the rest of them except for jafar. I really wish they bring back the flying magic carpet it was one of my favorite parts I really miss that especially if you were in the upper levels Aladdin and Princess jasmine including the Genie would wave to us from on the upper floor seating it was fun. The magic carpet felt like you were actually in it.