Via Napoli Restaurant, Italy Pavilion at Epcot

Vintage Walt Disney World: New Year’s Resolutions

posted on January 3rd, 2013 by Nate Rasmussen, Archivist, Marketing Resource Center

Another year begins, and most likely, another set of New Year’s resolutions have been made. Here at “Vintage Walt Disney World,” we’re going to let some vintage Epcot attractions inspire you to keep those resolutions throughout 2013.

Promised to exercise more? If only you could still hop on one of these Wondercycles. These video-enhanced exercise bikes allowed guests to enjoy a light workout when visiting the Wonders of Life Pavilion. (Apparently, walking around Epcot isn’t workout enough on vacation.)

Wondercycles at Epcot

Maybe, you’ve decided to eat better. If Food Rocks was still presented daily at The Land, you’d be able to hum along with Neil Moussaka as he sang “eat your spinach, yes its true cuz’ vegetables are good for you.” Making your vegetable eating a whole lot more fun.

Food Rocks at The Land

Possibly, you want to stay in touch with friends and family. The “holographic telephone” in Horizons might have come in use. Wouldn’t our Audio-Animatronics friends from this attraction be amazed by our smartphones of today?

Horizons at Epcot

Whatever your resolution, here’s to a healthy and prosperous 2013!

Check out more posts from the “Vintage Walt Disney World” series:

Filed: Disney History, Epcot, Walt Disney World Resort

Deborah on January 3rd, 2013 at 9:07 am

I miss Food Rocks!!! Don’t take my squash away from meee…don’t you leave me with a broccoli :-)

Nate Rasmussen on January 3rd, 2013 at 4:12 pm

I’m singing along with you from my office. :)

Sharon from VA on January 3rd, 2013 at 9:33 am

You left out the original Journey Into Imagination – that ride inspires me to spend more time indulging my creative impulses because anything is possible with IMAGINATION!

Mary on January 3rd, 2013 at 10:23 am

I miss the original Epcot rides…my husband and I used to go on dates at WDW (both had annual passes in HS) and loved the World of Motion and Horizons, although our 5 yr old son LOVES Mission Space & the new Test Track. We loved Food Rocks too!

erinn on January 3rd, 2013 at 10:43 am

The Wonders of Life Pavilion was my favorite! I loved riding the bike through the rose parade and New York City. My dad always got sick on Body Wars :)

Nate Rasmussen on January 3rd, 2013 at 4:14 pm

I can’t ever remember riding a Wondercycle, but I do remember Body Wars.

Barbara from MI on January 3rd, 2013 at 11:11 am

Glad I can remember these instead of wondering what they were.

Mary from ON on January 3rd, 2013 at 12:08 pm

We loved Food Rocks .. As much as I love Soarin, my only regret is it cost us Food Rocks… Please Disney, you brought back Captain EO, can you bring back Food Rocks!

Daniel on January 3rd, 2013 at 2:45 pm

I never understood why the grandfather in Horizons said that with today’s transportation he was only minutes away from his kids, but when it came time for the grandson’s birthday party, they all holo-phoned it in.

Erin from AZ on January 3rd, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I miss Food Rocks too, along with the Wonders of Life Pavilion. Pita Gabriel was my favorite! I also love that first photo. Do you know what year that was taken? It’s so perfectly dated! The colors remind me of my high school days in the mid-late 80s but I think it may be more early 90s.

Nate Rasmussen on January 3rd, 2013 at 4:14 pm

It’s dated in our collection as 1989 – you’re exactly right in the time frame. I too loved Pita Gabriel who always wanted to be your high fiber!

Eric from MA on January 3rd, 2013 at 4:48 pm

How about the reminder to get that doctor’s checkup this year…Body Wars! :)

(Or for the teen to study more in school–Cranium Command!)

Jackie on January 8th, 2013 at 9:21 pm

One of the things that continues to amaze me is how Disney predicted video phones, and how back then that technology seemed so futuristic. Now everyone can use Facetime on iPhone, I bet the kids today don’t understand how incredible it was to the past generation to even think we’d be able to use video phones.

Shaili from IL on January 9th, 2013 at 10:48 am

World of Motion was a good reminder not to speed when driving! The police are always watching behind a roadside billboard…