Disney's Electrical Parade

1956 Photo: Walt Disney at Opening of Skyway to Fantasyland at Disneyland Park

posted on February 13th, 2013 by George Savvas, Public Relations Director, Disneyland Resort

This rare photo of Walt Disney was taken at the opening of the Skyway attraction on June 23, 1956. Standing on the steps of the chalet-like setting in Fantasyland that served as its home for nearly 30 years, he looks pretty happy to me – don’t you agree?
1956 Photo: Walt Disney at Opening of Skyway to Fantasyland at Disneyland Park

Filed: Disney History, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

Fred from CA on February 13th, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Great photo!

Debra on February 13th, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I miss the Skyway so much! Always nice to see pics of it :)

Jeff from OH on February 13th, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Great picture. He’s looks so happy.

Jason on February 13th, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Love the Skyway so much. I understand the reasons that it left but I still miss it.

Gloria from CA on February 13th, 2013 at 1:57 pm

As kids, we always called these the “buckets in the sky” and I miss them. So much fun to ride over the park and see everything from on high.

Shannon on February 13th, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Great photo; he does look so happy. I also miss the Skyway; it was one of my favorite rides growing up. Wished there was a way a to bring it back.

John on February 13th, 2013 at 9:17 pm

miss riding this at disney world.but can still ride it any time,
i want due to its on video. happy landings skyway riders!

Debbie on February 13th, 2013 at 11:54 pm

I, too, miss the skyway!! They were yet another wonderful way to move from one land to another! I feel privileged to have at least enjoyed them in my lifetime. And it’s no wonder that Disneyland is the happiest place on earth…Walt’s smile says it all!

Gary on February 15th, 2013 at 6:14 am

Walt Disney is my hero. I have been to Disneyland and Disney World and still get excited about going. My family were regular goers in the 50′s.

MH from CA on February 17th, 2013 at 11:55 am

I believe I saw a different version of this photo in a souvenir book I have for Disneyland’s 25th anniversary. If I remember correctly, the Swiss consul general was standing right next to Walt Disney, and you could see the chalet in the background. It’s a nice touch to have dignitaries visit Disneyland for these kinds of openings and dedications.