Halloween at Walt Disney World Resort

First Look: An Imagineer Tour Through the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad Interactive Queue at Magic Kingdom Park

posted on February 21st, 2013 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Today we have an exciting update on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at Magic Kingdom Park to share with you: Walt Disney Imagineering just sent us a “first look” inside the new interactive queue that’s currently being added to the Frontierland attraction.

In the video, Project Manager Wyatt Winter and Creative Designer Pete Carsillo offer up a behind-the-scenes tour of the new queue, which builds on the attraction’s backstory of Barnabas T. Bullion, founder and president of Big Thunder Mining Company. The storyline of the new area builds the attraction into something that takes guests deeper into the mining days of the Wild West. When the finished queue debuts in a few weeks, guests will be able to explore the mountain’s Mining Office, the Explosives Magazine Room, and maybe even get a little hands-on by doing some of the miners’ activities.

What do you think? Tell us in the “Comments” section below.

Tagged: , , , ,

Filed: Behind the Scenes, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Jonathan from TX on February 21st, 2013 at 11:04 am

Very cool. Can’t wait to experience them!! Love that more story is being brought to these great attractions! I hope the same will be done over at Disneyland!

Kyle from MI on February 21st, 2013 at 11:08 am

When can we expect this new line to be open?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on February 21st, 2013 at 11:49 am

No specific date to announce just yet. We’ll keep you updated!

Charles on February 21st, 2013 at 11:09 am

Awesome. That is the kind of stuff sets the Disney experience above everyone elses. I can’t wait to check it all out!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on February 21st, 2013 at 11:49 am

It looks awesome!

Neal on February 21st, 2013 at 11:12 am

I love the idea of looking down into the mine and seeing what the miners are doing. That’s hilarious!

Larry on February 21st, 2013 at 11:35 am

Hey Jen, do you have an idea when Big Thunder is scheduled to be re-opened? I’m one of those people who enjoys looking at what the imagineers have done to add story to the ques. Love Expedition Everest! Alway get a Fast Pass first but then get in the stand-by line just to enjoy the que.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on February 21st, 2013 at 8:06 pm

It is currently open – all this work is being completed overnight.

Adam on February 21st, 2013 at 11:57 am

Really loving where they’re going with this. I can’t wait to see what the dream up for us in the west coast version. Great work!

Leonilda from Sao Paulo on February 21st, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Is the attraction currently closed? Or is it running while the line is under cunstruction? DO you think that by July (2013) it will be opened? I can’t wait!!!!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on February 21st, 2013 at 8:07 pm

It has not closed for the rehab…work takes place overnight.

pam on February 21st, 2013 at 12:40 pm

It looks like it’s going to be amazing! I hope the same things are going on at Disneyland.

Traci on February 21st, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Big Thunder is open in Florida you can ride it right now. They are mostly working at night for the new additions.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on February 21st, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Correct!

Mitchell from IL on February 21st, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Thanks for the updates Jennifer. This is one of our “can’t miss” rides whenever we are at WDW. The new interactive queue will certainly add to the storyline, and give fidgity youngsters something to do while waiting to get to the head of the queue!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on February 21st, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Should be a pretty cool place to explore! :)

Lynn on February 21st, 2013 at 7:10 pm

We’ll be there next week. I guess we will miss the new queue experience. Must plan another trip soon, then!

Annette from QLD on February 21st, 2013 at 7:28 pm

WOW cant wait to see all the new stuff when we come back over from Australia again next time – it will like be there for the first time with all the new additions

James on February 21st, 2013 at 7:30 pm

We got a sneak peek of the new line queue during our visit to MK last week. It looks pretty cool. Can’t wait to see it when its complete.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on February 22nd, 2013 at 11:49 am

Fun!

Eric on February 21st, 2013 at 7:47 pm

This looks incredibly exciting! I can’t wait to come back to WDW & see this!!!

Duane on February 21st, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Will the ride continue to be open throughout construction?

Adela on February 21st, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Oh phew, I got scarred there for a minute. Thought it was going to be closed for my son’s surprise trip. He would be devastated if it were.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on February 22nd, 2013 at 11:46 am

I hope he has a great trip!

Stephen on February 21st, 2013 at 10:13 pm

My wife and I noticed the changes a few weeks ago. We very much enjoyed the experience.

David from CA on February 22nd, 2013 at 12:54 am

Jennifer, Can we expect similar changes to Disneyland’s version when it emerges from rehab?

CHRISTOPHER on February 22nd, 2013 at 6:44 am

Really excited for this…and thank you, Disney, for not closing the ride while this cool refurb is being done!

Bobbi on February 22nd, 2013 at 6:55 am

We were scheduled for a trip next week (February 25-March 2), but rescheduled for May so not to miss Splash Mountain. Waiting for this queue to open is one more reason that it was a good idea!

Kathleen from WI on February 22nd, 2013 at 7:48 am

This is my favorite ride at the Magic Kingdom. Can’t wait to ride it again in 60 days!!!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on February 22nd, 2013 at 11:45 am

I hope you love it, Kathleen!

Amanda on February 22nd, 2013 at 8:50 am

It is truly fantastic how Disney is always looking for ways to reinvent and revive all of it’s attractions and parks! I can’t wait until I am able to return to Disney next year and see this and all the other changes that have been done to the parks. Let’s hope they keep up the fantastic work! :)

Abigail on February 22nd, 2013 at 11:09 am

I hope this is complete by the time I visit in June, I’m looking forward to experiencing the Haunted Mansion interactive queue line when I go, and it would be nice to see the Imagineers expand these interactive queue lines to other attractions and possibly other parks. :)

Chris on February 22nd, 2013 at 4:47 pm

The additions to the queue look great. Especially if we get to use “dynamite” to blow things up!

Susan from PA on February 23rd, 2013 at 8:27 am

Oh This is so Kool I cant wait to see this when we go to DIsney World the end of May. My Family is goinf to be so excited

angela from me on February 23rd, 2013 at 10:01 am

Will the Fast Pass line bypass the new queue features?

Michele from MN on February 23rd, 2013 at 10:40 pm

This is awesome, I am always trying to take in all the detail on this ride but it goes to fast, now I can take in my detail before I even get on the ride!