Disneyland Paris, Phantom Manor

Meet Jewelry Designer Petra Azar on February 9 & 10 at Tren-D in Downtown Disney Marketplace

posted on February 6th, 2013 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

'River of Love' Pendant by Petra Azar at Disney Parks

With Valentine’s Day only a few weeks away, I spent some time at Magic Kingdom Park getting ideas for gifts. I found three unique necklaces at Uptown Jewelers on Main Street, U.S.A., which I had never seen before. They didn’t have traditional neck clasps; instead, they used magnets to pull the two sides together. I later discovered these necklaces were designed by Petra Azar from Studio Petra Azar. I spoke with her about her inspiration for these designs.
'River of Love' Pendant by Petra Azar at Disney Parks

“I always admired Walt Disney’s vision to invent an oasis of romance, imagination and adventure,” explained Petra. “When asked to create a jewelry collection for Disney Parks, I saw it as my challenge to invent something unique and innovative. This was a tall order because to capture the Disney spirit, it had to be a piece of jewelry nobody else had made before.”
Jewelry by Petra Azar at Disney Parks

Petra’s favorite design is the “River of Love” pendant. It is half black resin and half sterling silver with a row of white cubic zirconia stones in the shape of a winding river down the heart’s center. The “Heart of Disney” pendant is solid sterling silver and contains an extendable chain (you can adjust it to either 18 inches or 36 inches). Finally, “Minnie Bow” is a medium-sized sterling silver pendant that features sparkling polka dots in white cubic zirconia stones. There is also a genuine onyx drop dangling from the center.

Being someone who struggles with those tiny traditional clasps (my fingers aren’t that small!), I asked Petra about the magnetic clasps.

“I received a ‘utility patent’ for the [magnetic clasps], which is quite rare in the jewelry industry,” continued Petra. “The philosophical and emotional thoughts I put into my designs are important to me, but I think most women will appreciate the practicality of the magnetic clasp just as much.”

These necklaces are currently available at select locations in both Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resorts. They are also currently being sold on the Disney Parks online store.

I invite you to attend a special event with Petra Azar on February 9-10 in Tren-D at the Downtown Disney Marketplace. She will be meeting with guests from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. each day.

Filed: Disneyland Resort, Downtown Disney, Walt Disney World Resort

Michael on February 6th, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Noooo!!!! I would be buying it right now if it was online :(

Lindsey on February 6th, 2013 at 3:17 pm

But they ARE online! :)

Steven Miller on February 6th, 2013 at 4:03 pm

@Michael and Lindsey – At the time I wrote the article, they hadn’t arrived online yet. Good news, as Lindsey pointed out, they are now available on the Disney Parks Online store. Here are the direct links:

River of Love – http://www.disneystore.com/mickey-mouse-magnetic-heart-necklace-by-petra-azar/mp/1325688/1000295/

Heart of Disney – http://www.disneystore.com/mickey-mouse-magnetic-heart-necklace-by-petra-azar/mp/1325514/1000295/

Minnie’s Bow – http://www.disneystore.com/minnie-mouse-magnetic-bow-necklace-by-petra-azar/mp/1325476/1000295/

christopher on February 6th, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Steven, why is WDW so quiet about a pin trading night and what is the reason for removing the vinylmation trading boxes at resorts and park shops?

Steven Miller on February 6th, 2013 at 4:48 pm

@Christopher – At this time, we don’t have a confirmed date for Disney Trading Night at Walt Disney World. As soon as I hear something, I will share. I know Disneyland Resort recently announced a Disney Trading Night for March. It will be held on March 15, 2013 from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m at the Pacific Ballroom at the Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel.

As for Vinylmation Trading, Guests can still enjoy trading in select locations within Disneyland and Walt Disney World theme parks and Downtown Disney. By consolidating Vinylmation trading to key locations in our theme parks and Downtown Disney, we are able to offer a better trading experience for Guests.

Here is a list of those current locations:

Walt Disney World Parks/Downtown Disney
• Magic Kingdom Park – Emporium
• Epcot – Mouse Gear, Disney Traders
• Disney’s Hollywood Studios – Villains in Vogue
• Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park – Island Mercantile
• Downtown Disney – D Street, Disney’s Pin Traders

Disneyland Resort Parks/Downtown Disney
• Disneyland Park – The Star Trader and Disneyana
• Downtown Disney – D Street
• Disney California Adventure Park – Off the Page

Toni on February 6th, 2013 at 4:11 pm

They are online in parks products