Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

Trade for New Hidden Mickey Pins in 2013 at Disney Parks

posted on February 19th, 2013 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

The start of a new year traditionally marks the arrival of new Hidden Mickey pins at Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resorts. Cast members at Disney Parks use these specially designed pins for trading with guests. I received a few questions about the new pins for this year, so I contacted Julie Young, former merchandiser for pins, to learn more. Julie now develops Vinylmation, dolls, plush and Duffy the Disney Bear, which makes this year’s collection the final series she created.

“I’m happy how the pins turned out this year,” said Julie. “For my final series, I wanted to capture hidden treasures from Disney Parks and include some favorite Disney characters, like Winnie the Pooh. I love all the details found at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resorts, like the pinwheels found in Mickey’s Toontown at Disneyland park. I think those details are great for Hidden Mickey pins as they make the pins different from other pins we release.”

Similar to previous years, there will be two different series of pins released in 2013 – series A (now available) and series B (the latter will appear toward summertime). Many of the pins will be unique to Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resorts (this time, the exception is the popcorn pins, which are a shared set). As always, you can identify a Hidden Mickey pin with the small Mickey Mouse icon included on the front of the pin. The back stamp also indicates it’s a Hidden Mickey pin.

I like the Disney Villains parking lot signs from Magic Kingdom Park, as they are a continuation of a collection introduced years ago when I was involved with Disney pins. The Duffy the Disney Bear pins and cast member costumes are also continued collections from last year.

Other fun pins include the Wilderness Explorer badges inspired by the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail at Disney California Adventure park, and the Friendship Boats from World Showcase Lagoon at Epcot. Julie said the boats were an idea from a cast member who worked in transportation.

Look for these pins on cast members’ lanyards throughout 2013. As a reminder, you can trade a maximum of two pins, per cast member, per day. With thousands of cast members trading pins, that is a lot of trades waiting to be made!

Filed: Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

Rochelle on February 19th, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I have got to schedule a trip to either (or both) of these incredible resorts! Pin trading is my favorite Disney activity!

Eduardo on February 19th, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Hi Steven!!! Sorry about the question… it is out of the topic… but… any Disney Racer on horizon??? Thanks!!

Steven Miller on February 20th, 2013 at 12:25 pm

@Eduardo – Sorry. Nothing new to report at this time.

Clare from Devon on February 19th, 2013 at 4:36 pm

I love the Epcot costume pins!
Being a cast member and pin trading was great fun! Now I get to go back and play too!

Grace on February 19th, 2013 at 7:30 pm

These pins are all so amazing!! I have to make a trip to WDW soon to finish up some pin trading from my November trip. While we are on the pin trading topic, I was wonder what are chaser pins? Thanks everyone! Hope everyone has a magical night!

Steven Miller on February 20th, 2013 at 12:28 pm

@Grace – Chaser pins are pictured in silver above. These pins are slightly more rare than their full color counterparts. We don’t have as many produced which prompts the “chase” to find them (though I encourage walking carefully and slowly to your next trading destination :-)

Jenn on February 20th, 2013 at 10:54 am

so excited about those new villain pins!!

Allie on February 20th, 2013 at 1:40 pm

The Duffy pins are so cute! :) I’ll have to be on the lookout for them on my next trip.

Lisa on February 21st, 2013 at 9:50 am

Are these available to trade for in the parks now? We will be in Disneyland next week and are really hoping to trade for some of the new pins. Pin trading is always the highlight of our trip, so fingers are crossed in Colorado!

Steven Miller on February 22nd, 2013 at 11:16 am

@Lisa – I hope you have a wonderful visit. The pins were released to Cast Member for use when trading with Guests. Good luck!

Daniel on February 26th, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Hello Steven, please forgive the off topic question, but do you have any information you can share with us yet about any possible updates or expansion of the cool little Droid Factory activity station in Tatooine Traders? There had been mention last year of this activity possibly appearing in California as well in 2013, and/or possibly having a refreshed droid parts selection. Any news or teases you can give us on this topic please? Thanks. :)

Steven Miller on February 27th, 2013 at 1:14 pm

@Daniel – I will have to speak with the toy team. Please stay tuned. Hopefully I can find the droid information you are looking for. :-)

mike on February 27th, 2013 at 2:21 am

how do i get the winnie the pooh one !!! im in california :(

Daniel on February 27th, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Many thanks for looking into it Steven. :) I look forward to any tidbits you can bring us.

Daniel on March 5th, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Hello again Steven, I hope you don’t mind me asking whether you had any luck with the toy team yet regarding updates on the 2013 shape of the Droid Factory activity please? Thanks mate – frothing droid fan here, in case you couldn’t already tell. ;)

Jonathan on July 2nd, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Any idea when wave B pins will be announced?

Daniel on July 6th, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Same as Jonathan : When is wave B coming ? I have been waiting for a long 6 days for them……..
Have a good day ,