Disneyland Park, Haunted Mansion

Family Adventures with Disney Cruise Line in Alaska

posted on March 11th, 2013 by Arnaldo Zanonato, Port Adventures Manager

With Disney Cruise Line’s return to Alaska just three months away, and now that we’ve announced another summer season there in 2014, I’ve been getting a lot of questions lately about family-friendly Port Adventures on this popular itinerary.

Just like I did for the Disney Magic’s summer season in Europe, today I want to tell you about shore excursions that have exclusive youth activities for the Disney Wonder’s summer season in Alaska.
Family Adventures with Disney Cruise Line in Alaska
Totems, Exclusive Lumberjack Show and Potlatch Park Featuring Exclusive Youth Activity - Not only will families experience the exciting competition of the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show on this adventure from Ketchikan, they’ll also learn about the culture of Alaska’s natives, including the art form of totem carving, at a recreated settlement. Here kids have the chance to join Disney Cruise Line youth counselors and paint their very own wooden feather, which will be later added to a totem pole designed specifically for Disney Cruise Line guests.
Family Adventures with Disney Cruise Line in Alaska
White Pass Scenic Railway Featuring Exclusive Youth Activity – Since one of the family favorites from Skagway is a vintage rail car through the breathtaking White Pass summit, we dedicated a portion of this tour that allows parents to relax with a glass of champagne while kids expel energy in their own rail car. Under the supervision of local staff and joined by Disney Cruise Line youth counselors, they enjoy sing alongs, games, activities and stories of the gold rush…without anyone reminding them to use their “inside voices!”

Here’s a video to give you a better idea what this experience is all about…

As you’re planning your Alaskan adventures for this summer, which Port Adventures seem best for your family?

Filed: Disney Cruise Line

Melanie from NC on March 11th, 2013 at 9:45 am

Our family loved visiting the Dog Mushers Camp during our visit to Juneau. The staff were super friendly and the dogs were amazing. It was fun, educational, and they have puppies – two litters during our visit! By far, the best kids excursion we took!

Jaime on March 11th, 2013 at 4:33 pm

We will be on the second saiing of the season this year and I just can’t wait. We are so incredibly excited. We booked our port adventures last week. We are doing Takshanuk Mountain Trail 4×4
in Skagway which sounds so exciting and thrilling. We are doing the Dog Musher’s camp in Juneau. I really think that one will be my kids’ favorite. Also a trip to the Mendenhall glacier that day. Lastly in Ketchikan we are doing Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast for my hubby. I was in agony trying to sort through and pick out what we were going to do. I really wanted to do EVERYTHING. with all that is offered it was such a tough decision.

Jaime on March 11th, 2013 at 4:42 pm

BTW my girls will be 5 and 8 when we go. Only 84 days til we sail!

J.D. from OR on March 11th, 2013 at 5:15 pm

If you can choose only one excursion make it the White Pass Scenic Railway (unless you’re deathly afraid of heights). The scenery is breathtaking, the stories are fascinating, and, hey it’s a train! What’s not to love!

Jessica on March 11th, 2013 at 10:53 pm

HELP!! I got a question. We are taking a 3 night cruise with disney and they said i could prepay our tips 108 they said GREAT i thought. then my husband said thats not enough. So my question is this. After each meal are we not allowed to just tip them that night? Or our housekeeper can we not just leave a 5 in the room every morning? Please help im lost in this

Chandra from WA on March 12th, 2013 at 8:51 am

Can’t wait for our Alaska sailing in 2014!!! Thanks for the information on the White Pass Scenic Railway. Looks like a fun time!

Jaime on March 13th, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Jessica,

On the last night of your cruise you will be given little envelopes to put your tips in. If you have prepaid your tips you will be given the envelopes with little reciepts that show the amount they will receive. You can add additional to the envelopes if you would like. Because you will have the same crew working with you for the duration of the cruise it is customary to do it at the end. During the cruise I am not sure if the stateroom attendant will take the money left out as it is not the norm. but you will see them often so I presume you could just hand it to them. As for dining I presume you could just had them money when you dine although I think they kind of like it if you dont as money is pretty unsanitary. On the cruise they always try to keep things as clean as possible which I think is one of the main drives behind a cashless system. Enjoy your trip, Jaime