Disneyland Park, Haunted Mansion

runDisney Introduces New Race, New Challenge, New Medals to Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

posted on March 22nd, 2013 by Faron Kelley, Director, Marketing & Communications, Disney Sports

Today, runDisney reaches another milestone as we expand the 2014 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend presented by Cigna with the addition of the Walt Disney World 10K, the Dopey Challenge, new medals and the return of the popular Runner’s World Challenge.

In 2006, the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend had a big year. The races had become so popular, the half marathon and the full marathon now had to be held on two separate days. This race day bifurcation led to another interesting development. It was now theoretically possible for a runner to run both races, so the team decided that if someone was goofy enough to do that, they deserved a medal. And thus, Goofy’s Race and a Half Challenge was born with just over 2,300 runners receiving the first Goofy medal for their 39.3 mile accomplishment.

Through the years, “the Goofy” has been a favorite with our runners as well as a unique offering in the running industry. Well, you ain’t seen nothin’ yet. This next year, runDisney is adding a 10K race to our Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend line-up, joining our already popular 5K, Half Marathon and Full Marathon. And you guessed it (we couldn’t help ourselves), we are now offering the Dopey Challenge to those runners who conquer ALL FOUR of our races. That’s right…completing the 5K, the 10K, the Half Marathon and the Full Marathon in the four consecutive days will earn you the Dopey Challenge Medal. That coveted piece of hardware will be clanging around the necks of our finishers with the Mickey Marathon medal, the Donald Half medal, the 5K Family Fun Run medal, the Goofy Challenge medal, and the new Minnie 10K medal.

Six medals for 48.6 miles over four days. I think I am just Dopey enough to do it. Come join me!

I hope you will accept this invite:

Join us for the Dopey Challenge and the 2014 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend.

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Special Events, Walt Disney World Resort

Kevin on March 22nd, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Well, I think I’m in! Will there also be a bonus medal for doing the 10K and the Half Marathon, or the 10K and the Marathon? It seems like with the Dumbo Double Dare at Disneyland, there should be something equivalent for the other combinations in Walt Disney World too

David on March 22nd, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Challenge Accepted!!!

David on March 22nd, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Between Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend and Disneyworld Marathon Weekend, and Coast to Coast Challenge, I’ll be bringing home 10 new medals!

Kelly from CT on March 22nd, 2013 at 4:39 pm

game on!

Samantha from FL on March 22nd, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I’ll be focusing on the Coast to Coast Challenge in 2014 with my first half marathon being the Tinkerbell half and then the Princess half. I had planned on trying for the Goofy in 2015 if I survived but I might have to do this instead!

david on March 22nd, 2013 at 9:22 pm

my 1st and I swore only marathon was the Mickey run 1/2013. Now I’m thinking Dopey!

Crystal from VA on March 23rd, 2013 at 7:40 am

I’m glad there are people Dopey enough and Goofy enough to do this. I’m just “Happy” enough to cheer y’all on! Good luck to all the runners next January.

Lisa from FL on March 23rd, 2013 at 8:23 am

Too bad they don’t give out extra medals for doing the 5K & the 10K. Some of us can’t do anything longer than a 10K……I’m not sure if I can, but I’m going to try to do both of them!

Katherine from NJ on March 23rd, 2013 at 10:34 am

We were there last year and watched the Marathon. I haven’t run in over 20 years. We inspired the whole family to sign up thinking we would do the 1/2 marathon, Donald medal is really cool, but now a Minnie medal. I have to really think about that one. Maybe a Minnie medal would be nice to have for the first marathon ever. So excited Thanks for encouraging us in NJ to get fit.

Erin from RI on March 23rd, 2013 at 10:58 am

Well you have really done it now runDisney!!!

You have created the monster race weekend of our dreams! I have to say after finishing the Goofy Challenge this year I wanted to keep running. It was so fantastically fun I wanted more and now you are doing it. Can I please reserve my race bibs now?

Anyways…here it to your success and the success of all of the runners who run your races! Let’s run fun!

Erin
LoveDisneyRun
for the love of Disney running

MICHELLE on March 23rd, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I wish it were the half and 10K-like the Dumbo challenge. But I am happy they brought something similar here to WDW! I will def be attempting to register for the 10K, but sadly cannot afford the entire challenge.

Laird on March 23rd, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Challenge accepted!

I did the unofficial “Dopey” this year by running the 5k, half and full. The whole weekend was a blast, and be part of the parks and being with so many other runners really made it feel special. I was so impressed by the sense of community with the other guests and with the as always excellently trained Cast Members.

Adding the 10K is super cool. And it means going one day earlier and more park time!

I’m running the DL 5, 10 and half for my coast-to-coast in 2013, but I will be back at WDW for the official Dopey event.

Jennie from CA on March 25th, 2013 at 5:45 am

Wow, I’ve already gotten 4 runDisney medals this year w/Tink, Royal 5k, PHM & C2C. I’m signed up for my next 3 w/Dumbo Double, if I throw Dopey in the mix that’ll be 13 medals for 9 races in less than a year. I’m in!! I’ve done the unofficial Dopey so this can’t be much harder. Fun times.

Happy trails,
Jennie

Kristy on March 26th, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Will the vinylmation medals be released for the 2014 Run Disney?
(I love these)

Laura on April 1st, 2013 at 10:31 am

Wow, I would love to try the Dopey! Now I just need to find myself a fairy godmother who will cover the entry fee… !!