Sunset Over the Tree of Life at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Today in Disney History: Maharajah Jungle Trek Debuts at Disney’s Animal Kingdom

posted on March 1st, 2013 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Today in Disney History is a special day for animal lovers. On March 1, 1999, the Maharajah Jungle Trek officially opened at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.
Maharajah Jungle Trek at Disney’s Animal Kingdom

This attraction takes guests on a tour through Anandapur Royal Forest, where you can see a variety of exotic animals, including gibbons, black buck, fruit bats, elds deer – and my personal favorite, Asian tigers!

Is this attraction among your favorites? Tell us in the “Comments” section below.

Check out these posts for more news from Disney’s Animal Kingdom:

Filed: Disney's Animal Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Jorge on March 1st, 2013 at 10:27 am

So great to see the tigers so young, they are adorable. They are always at the top of my list when I visit Animal Kingdom!

Loren from CA on March 1st, 2013 at 11:02 am

The Maharajah Jungle Trek is one of my favorite things in any Disney Park. While I love all the animals along the Trek, I will admit that I am fairly obsessed with the fruit bats. I love them so.

Brian on March 1st, 2013 at 11:19 am

The Maharajah Jungle Trek encompasses so much about what is great about the Magic Kingdom. It is one of those attractions that really offers an opportunity to slow down and enjoy the details and animals together. It is part of what makes the park so magical and different than the other parks.

Brian on March 1st, 2013 at 11:19 am

Oops. Animal Kingdom.

Timothy on March 1st, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I love this walk through but would love to see some changes to it in the future. Any chance of seeing Giant Pandas, Orangutans, Red Pandas or the return of the Malayan Tapirs?

Allie on March 1st, 2013 at 5:33 pm

This is one of my favorite parts of Animal Kingdom! I’m crazy about tigers, so seeing them here is always a highlight of my trip!

Christopher on March 2nd, 2013 at 8:34 am

Absolutely love the “Trek”. Most favorite part is the tigers in the ruins of the Indian palace. Perfect setting for them. Awesome themes all the way through the whole “Trek”!

mike on March 30th, 2013 at 10:32 am

one of the best parts of the kingdom. i was also really impressed with the new safari ride when we were there in october. just love the atmosphere in the park.