Show Disney.com Hide Disney.com
Mickey's Once Upon A Christmastime Parade at Magic Kingdom Park

Vinylmation Evolution: Exciting Future for Collectible Figures at Disney Parks

posted on March 4th, 2013 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

“'Beauty

In a recent article about new Hidden Mickey pins at Disney Parks, I mentioned that long-time merchandiser Julie Young is now responsible for Vinylmation. I’ve known Julie for the past nine years. Without her, I probably wouldn’t be writing this article, as she was on the interview panel that hired me for my previous trading manager role. Julie spent more than 10 years with Disney pins. She has an incredible passion for creating memorable merchandise, so I was excited to hear about her vision for Vinylmation. We recently spoke at the Disney Theme Park Merchandise headquarters.
“Julie

What is one word to describe your experience with Vinylmation so far?

Julie: “I think ‘fascinating’ summarizes my experience. I’ve learned so much about the designer toy market, along with what has made Vinylmation successful in recent years. I’ve also learned about some of the biggest opportunities facing this category. With the fifth anniversary in November, we thought this was a good time to review what makes these collectible figures so great.”

What are some of the changes that Vinylmation fans can expect to see?

Julie: “Vinylmation, like Disney pins, has a strong and passionate fan base. We heard from fans about what they would like to see with Vinylmation. To many, it’s all about the collectability and rarity of figures. We also know that the thrill of the chase is a critical part of the experience. You will see us focus more on mystery boxes and focus less on open edition figures. We will be trying new things that we hope will keep things exciting, such as eight-figure mystery series that will make completing sets easier.”
“‘Cutesters

What are some of your favorite upcoming series and figures?

Julie: “I’m looking forward to the Urban Redux series in March. I love how we took a risk by rethinking how Vinylmation could exist at Disney Parks. The ‘Cutesters En Vogue’ series in March is super cute and will introduce the new Minnie Mouse-shaped platform. I think the ‘Beauty and the Beast’ series in June looks beautiful. Finally, I love the ‘Silly Symphony’ series coming in early fall as it features long lost characters rarely seen on merchandise.”
“‘Silly

Do you have any words of wisdom for a new Vinylmation collector?

Julie: “Go with what you love. Build collections around your favorite characters, stories or themes. Most importantly, have fun! We have fun creating these figures and hope fans have as much fun collecting them.”

Look out for more Vinylmation in the posts below:

Filed: Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

Camille from OR on March 4th, 2013 at 10:59 am

Me wants the red head! (I also love the Silly Symphonies!) YAY!!!

Emma on March 4th, 2013 at 11:08 am

SUPER excited for the Beauty and the Beast series!!

Michael on March 4th, 2013 at 11:11 am

Do we see an Orange Bird Park Starz blurry in the background?! (giggly shriek!)

Steven Miller on March 4th, 2013 at 3:33 pm

@Michael – Great catch! I couldn’t resist adding a little extra sunshine to an already happy image of Julie.

Mandy on March 4th, 2013 at 11:11 am

Will blind-box trading make a return to the parks and resorts? There were only a few trading boxes last week and while we had a good time trading, it wasn’t as fun as it had been with multiple locations. Purchasing mystery boxes is less fun when you receive doubles and have limited outlet for trading and collecting.

Steven Miller on March 4th, 2013 at 3:37 pm

@Mandy – We have made some modifications to the Vinylmation trading experience. Guests can still enjoy trading in select locations within Disneyland and Walt Disney World theme parks and Downtown Disney. By consolidating Vinylmation trading to key locations in our theme parks and Downtown Disney, we are able to offer a better trading experience for Guests.

Here is a list of those current locations:

Walt Disney World Parks/Downtown Disney
- Magic Kingdom Park – Emporium
- Epcot – Mouse Gear, Disney Traders
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios – Villains in Vogue
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park – Island Mercantile
- Downtown Disney – D Street, Disney’s Pin Traders

Disneyland Resort Parks/Downtown Disney
- Disneyland Park – The Star Trader and Disneyana
- Downtown Disney – D Street
- Disney California Adventure Park – Off the Page

Jennifer on March 4th, 2013 at 11:15 am

Oh my goodness this post made my day!! Beauty and the Beast is my favorite movie of all time!! Will these vinyls be available in only the parks or in the Disney Store as well?

tracey on March 4th, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Steve…What collection is the Red Head a part of? Where and when will she be released? Thaks!

Kristen from NJ on March 4th, 2013 at 12:13 pm

This post gets me really excited for the future of vinylmation! I’m especially excited for the Beauty and the Beast set! Do you have an exact release date for it by any chance?

Steven Miller on March 4th, 2013 at 3:50 pm

@Jennifer and Kristen – The “Beauty and the Beast” series is currently planned for a June release. I do not have a firm date at this point. I also believe the series will be carried at the Disney Stores and online at http://www.DisneyParks.com/Store

Diane on March 4th, 2013 at 12:26 pm

What is the Red Hat part of? Any more hints of the Park Starzs 2 series. Have to know lol…

Steven Miller on March 4th, 2013 at 3:40 pm

@Tracey and Diane – Look for the redhead girl that Julie is holding coming this summer as part of Park Starz #2.

Bob on March 4th, 2013 at 1:15 pm

While I am not an avid Vinylmation collector, I do have a few and enjoy seeing the different designs. The Holly Golightly-esque new Minnie Mouse-shaped Cutester is one I would like to have. I also MUST have an Orange Bird Vinylmation if he is coming out!! :D

Eric from MA on March 4th, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Been trying to figure out, who are the Cutesters En Vogue?
Going from the right, looks like Marie from the Aristocats, Georgette from Oliver & Company, and…wasn’t Audrey Hepburn at Paramount?

Steven Miller on March 8th, 2013 at 9:04 am

@Eric – The Cutesters En Vogue series was designed by Caley Hicks, Martha Widener and Thomas Scott from Disney Design Group. I asked the Vinylmation team about the series and they said the figures do not represent any character in particular, Disney or otherwise. The figure in the little black dress was included because they felt many women have at least one dress that makes them feel cute and pretty.

Hannah on March 4th, 2013 at 3:21 pm

LOVE the Beauty and the Beast series! The “stained glass” ears are amazing! I just have 1 question – will there be pins of them? (Same question for the Silly Symphony series!)

We’ll miss you in the pin world Julie! But hopefully this will mean more Vinylmation pins! (Hint Hint!)

Steven Miller on March 8th, 2013 at 9:05 am

@Hannah – I asked the pin team and they said they were considering adding a Beauty and the Beast set inspired by this series. But you may not see it until next year. No confirmation on any other pins at this point.

Jose on March 4th, 2013 at 3:44 pm

I would love to see a return of limited editions released in tins. I love the collectability of the vinyl and the tin.

Steven Miller on March 8th, 2013 at 9:07 am

@Jose – You will see tin packaging used for Park Starz #2 similar to Park Starz #1. There are no other plans for tin packaging at this time.

James on March 4th, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Do you know if Babette and the Wardrobe are included in the Beauty and the Beast series?

Steven Miller on March 8th, 2013 at 9:08 am

@James – It’s a little too early for us to release details for all the figures in this series. Please stay tuned.

david on March 4th, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Thanks for introducing us to Julie! The vinylmations are so fun! I know my daughters will love the Beauty and the Beast collection. I will be waiting for another Haunted Mansion series!! Speaking of HM, I posted a late comment on your blog about the new HM Merch back on feb 28 just today. I know you have to get on to the next days posts but if you have a chance please peek back at what I wrote, Steven. Thanks!! Your HM Pal, David

Rodolfo on March 5th, 2013 at 4:51 am

Hello! Im a Disney Pin & Vinylmations collector. I was so excited to read this post, because I was really sad today after I visited the Downtown Disney D Street at WDW and I discovered that the Vinylmation area was reduced and moved, actually the great Vinylmation table (Where kids could draw Vinylmation on paper) is now gone….=( I felt really sad to see this change and I though maybe it was the end of Vinylmations… now Im so happy to read all what is coming! =) I hope DStreet will get back as it was in the past =) ºoº

Breanne on March 9th, 2013 at 10:56 am

With the upcoming change in vinylmation, can you tell us how many figures will be in the Beauty and the Beast set?? 8 or 12??

Steven Miller on March 19th, 2013 at 8:12 pm

@Breanne – I asked the Vinylmation team but they weren’t ready to share all of the details yet for this series. I’m glad to hear that you are interested.

MICHELLE on March 10th, 2013 at 11:43 am

I just cannot wait for the Beauty & the Beast Collection!!!