Halloween at the Walt Disney World Resort

10 Fun Facts About Disney’s Blizzard Beach Water Park

posted on April 1st, 2013 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Today in Disney history is a milestone for Disney’s Blizzard Beach Water Park, which opened its doors on April 1, 1995.

In honor of the anniversary, here are 10 fun facts about this place.
“Summit

1. Summit Plummet, the park’s signature attraction, measures 120 feet tall.
  2. The park’s storyline described the park as being Florida’s first ski resort – which quickly melted into a fun water park due to the temperature.
  3. One of the “ski resort” elements that still remains is a chair lift, which takes guests from the beach to the top of Mt. Gushmore.

“Ice

1. The park debuted an original character, Ice Gator, as part of it’s storyline.
  2. When it comes to speed, guests can slide up to 55 mph on Summit Plummet and 25 mph on the Downhill Double Dipper.
  3. Teamboat Springs is the world’s longest family raft ride. Up to six can ride per raft.

“Tike’s

1. Tike’s Peak, an area for young children, features a scaled-down version of Mt. Gushmore.
  2. Teamboat Springs features a 1,200-foot series of rushing waterfalls.

“Mini

1. One of the park’s more unusual snacks are mini donuts, which are prepared fresh and offered up with chocolate, white chocolate or raspberry dipping sauce.
  2. In 2012, the park joined 500 host locations to help set the Guinness World Record for the World’s Largest Swimming Lesson.

Do you have a special memory of Disney’s Blizzard Beach Water Park? If so, leave it in the “Comments” section below.

Tagged:

Filed: Disney's Blizzard Beach, Walt Disney World Resort

Danielle on April 1st, 2013 at 3:25 pm

My favorite Blizzard Beach memory was the time that my brother was made “Ski-Captain” for the day! We arrived at the park very early and were lucky enough to be chosen. He even got to open the park and was the first person that day to ‘take the plunge’ down Summit Plummet. It was a great day, with lots of memories :)

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on April 1st, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Cari from PA on April 1st, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Many happy memories for me at Blizzard Beach, I was a lifeguard cast memeber on the college program in 2000!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on April 1st, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Fun!

Kelly on April 1st, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I love Blizzard Beach and I am looking forward to going with my friend on Friday!

I loved going on Summit Plummit, once, but I am too chicken to do it again!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on April 1st, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Have a great time!

George on April 1st, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I will always remember my first time going down Summit Plummet. It was a quiet day at Blizzard Beach, and I was determined to give it a go- the fact that there was no line meant I had no excuse not to! My family all watched me from the bottom of Mount Gushmore- just to make sure I didn’t descend via Slush Gusher instead! It was a beautiful day, and I remember vividly climbing the steps which lead to Summit Plummet and marvelling at the breathtaking views across Walt Disney World. Then came the adrenaline rush of the waterslide itself, it kinda felt like I was flying- it was spectacular. Of course, I couldn’t resist experiencing it again later that day, and I can’t wait to get back to WDW to experience it for a third time!

Kaitlin on April 1st, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I was a merchandise cast member for the Disney College Progam and it was the best 5 months of my life. I <3 Blizzard Beach!

Mariah on April 1st, 2013 at 7:59 pm

We were there this Christmas (Like literally, Christmas day). We went at park opening and every one else was at one of the major four so for the first two hours we could ride pretty much everything with little to no wait. It was such a fun time. We went back to the resort and dried off in time to make it to Hollywood Studios for our Fantasmic! Dining package. Best Christmas Ever!

Erin from RI on April 2nd, 2013 at 8:18 am

We are going to hit the water parks for the first time this June! I know a few people who are going to be loving those donuts in between trips down the water slides.

Erin
LoveDisneyRun
for the love of Disney running

Katherine on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:17 pm

I worked at the donut stand while in high school! They were SO good, but still can’t walk into a donut shop since the smell reminds me of my time there!

Dustin on April 3rd, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Is Ice Gator the long lost brother of Swampy from Where’s My Water? Looks an awful lot like him!

Friend on April 3rd, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I never got to try Blizzard Beach, as I was always at River Country. I did try Typhoon Lagoon. Wish they would get River Country going again.

Lee on April 7th, 2013 at 9:35 am

The best part about Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon are the mini donuts. Best stuff at the water parks among of course the great rides