Walt Disney "Partners" Statue at Disneyland Resort

First Three-Park All-Nighter Kicks Off Monstrous Summer at the Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts

posted on April 25th, 2013 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

First Three Park All-Nighter Kicks Off Monstrous Summer at the Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts
Just seconds ago, a 180-foot-tall Mike Wazowski from the upcoming Disney●Pixar film “Monsters University” made the official announcement that we’re keeping three theme parks open for 24 hours on Memorial Day Weekend, the traditional start of the family travel season, to kick off a Monstrous Summer on both coasts. Wazowski, the loveable green-bodied, one-eyed monster, joins best pal James P. Sullivan (“Sulley”) in the prequel to “Monsters, Inc.”, this summer as college students with hopes of becoming Scarers.

Our first-ever, three-park all-night party is happening at the Magic Kingdom Park in Florida and Disneyland park and Disney California Adventure park in California. The parks will stay open from 6 a.m., May 24 to 6 a.m., May 25, 2013, local time.

• In Florida, Magic Kingdom Park will feature a “Monsters University” theme where Mike and Sulley will be the Grand Marshals of the “Celebrate a Dream Come True” day parade and make appearances in Tomorrowland. There will be extra entertainment throughout the day and night, including characters in their pajamas in Town Square during the late night and early morning, and late-night dance parties in and around the courtyard of Cinderella Castle.
  • In California, you’ll be able to party the night away at both parks with special entertainment including: a “Monsters University” “TLT Monstrous” Dance Club and Star Wars characters in Tomorrowland and late-night Character Pajama Party in Mickey’s ToonTown at Disneyland park. The new Fantasy Faire Royal Theatre at Disneyland park will become a Royal Dance Hall late at night with a live band and dancing; and guests of Disney California Adventure park will find Monstrous photo opportunities with new “Monsters University” “Dorms” in Hollywood Land and a new “Monsters University” float leading the Pixar Play Parade.

Tonight, the huge sphere of Spaceship Earth was transformed from Disney Parks icon to Disney●Pixar “Eye-con” for the announcement.

Walt Disney World Resort President George Kalogridis joined Mike to share the news of the Monstrous Summer. “This summer, Disney Parks are bursting with a monstrous lineup of new thrills, shows and happenings,” he said. “Guests can start Memorial Day Weekend with a 24-hour-marathon of memory-making as three parks stay open all day and all night to celebrate the bi-coastal kick-off of our Disney Parks Monstrous Summer.”

All three parks will feature limited-edition specialty merchandise and food and beverage offerings plus other surprises throughout the entire day. Keep an eye on the Disney Parks Blog and the Monstrous Summer site for more details in coming weeks.

Tagged: , , , , , ,

Filed: Disneyland Resort, Special Events, Walt Disney World Resort

Michelle on April 25th, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Darn, I’m going to miss this by 3 days!! Anyway it can get moved to the 28th (LOL)?

Christie from CA on April 25th, 2013 at 10:12 pm

This is SO COOL!!!! And fits in perfectly with a trip I already have planned!!!

Joseph on April 25th, 2013 at 10:14 pm

wow that was awesome…im jealous – hope they do a all nighter the week that we are going there

Cheryl on April 25th, 2013 at 10:15 pm

I would give ANYTHING to bring my 3 grandchildren just once!!! Every week we go look and see what we would do if we ever get to go!! My Cabrianna says “NANA! My DREAM IS COMING TRUE! WE CAN PARTY ALL NIGHT LONG!” She is 5 and is always saying she wants to party all night! What a GREAT time it will be for those who get to join in!

Harris from DC on April 25th, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Awesome

CHRISTOPHER on April 25th, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Very cool!

Roberta on April 25th, 2013 at 10:21 pm

does this need an extra ticket (kinda like halloween party)? or just regular admission?

Thomas Smith on April 26th, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Hi Roberta, valid theme park admission is required for the Monstrous 24-hour “All-Nighter.”

Zachary from TN on April 25th, 2013 at 10:29 pm

I love it! I wish I was going!! Truly Magical!

Lynnette on April 25th, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Will parkhopping be available this day in CA? Or will you have to choose one park to remain in?

Tiffany from FL on April 25th, 2013 at 11:04 pm

People in Florida know this is one of the busiest weekends for Disney. It’s a clever way to break up the crowds a little bit.

David on April 25th, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Good question Roberta. The fact that needing an extra ticket wasn’t mentioned makes me believe you will need to buy an extra ticket. :)

I can’t see Disney letting this bonus night pass without reaping the bonus ticket revenue. I’d be shocked if a standard day pass got you the 24 hours. Not being cynical. I just know, and love, Disney.

Christine from IL on April 25th, 2013 at 11:45 pm

So if I arrive after midnight, do I lose a day from my ticket if I return back later on Saturday or is anything after midnight considered the same day?

Melissa on April 25th, 2013 at 11:55 pm

That’s the day I fly into California to visit Disneyland! Guess I will have to make a quick stop at Magic Kingdom before my flight to make it a Coast to Coast event!

Shawn on April 25th, 2013 at 11:55 pm

So I just looked at the whole Memorial day weekend and day, on the calendar for the hours. Can someone show or tell me the exact 24 hour period? The longest time I could find was 8am to 2am. Which is not 24 hours. And the following day did not start at 2am. So I am confused on when exactly I have to go to the park to experience the full 24 hour period. I too would like to know if this is included with regular admission.

Thomas Smith on April 26th, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Great question, Shawn. The parks will stay open from 6 a.m., May 24 to 6 a.m., May 25, 2013, local time.

Loreli on April 26th, 2013 at 12:05 am

This couldn’t have been scheduled at a better time! I’m planning on being there that weekend from Oklahoma!

THANK YOU, DISNEY!!!

Thomas Smith on April 26th, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Glad to hear you’ll be able to join us, Loreli.

Ernest on April 26th, 2013 at 12:12 am

I have a question how is this going to work out for the lower tier AP’s that are blocked out the 25th?

ROBERT on April 26th, 2013 at 12:14 am

I will assume there will be an extra ticket fee since most other passes only include events during “regular park hours”.

Manuel on April 26th, 2013 at 12:28 am

what if your annual pass is valid for the 24th but not on the 25th?

Alyxandria on April 26th, 2013 at 12:29 am

Will this be anything like the Leap Year event? If so, I’ll need to get there early to get even a chance at the merchandice.

Jennifer on April 26th, 2013 at 12:33 am

Where can we find out the ticket prices for Florida Residents?

Thomas Smith on April 26th, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Hi Jennifer, try this page: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tickets/?affiliation=FL_RESIDENT

Jessica on April 26th, 2013 at 12:37 am

I am so Bummed that I am on my Alaskan Cruise.

Krista on April 26th, 2013 at 12:41 am

How will ticketing work? For example, if you get a park hopper ticket during the day, does that mean it works all night too? or are you stuck in one park throughout the night?

Thomas Smith on April 26th, 2013 at 1:03 pm

You’ll be able to use your Park Hopper in California to switch parks. Only Magic Kingdom Park will stay open 24 hours in Florida.

Desiree A on April 26th, 2013 at 1:31 am

Woo hoo! We’ll be there this weekend!

Holly on April 26th, 2013 at 1:38 am

Disney website says “valid theme park admission required.” It does not say separate ticketed event. So it looks like a regular days admission gets you the full 24 hour event.

Thomas Smith on April 26th, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Yes, thanks Holly.

Jodette on April 26th, 2013 at 1:46 am

It’s going to be crazier than last year’s Leap Year Day – One More Disney Day. That sure was fun though!

Hillary on April 26th, 2013 at 3:28 am

Thank you. I can’t wait to experience the Royal Dance Hall with a live band. By the way, which band will be playing?

Samantha on April 26th, 2013 at 4:53 am

This is perfect!! We will be there on those days! I am SO excited!

Kimberly on April 26th, 2013 at 5:22 am

Do we need to get an additional ticket or will our annual passes get us in, especially those of us that are premium…we should get something for paying so much more that last year…so far I have not seen anything different or special with the increase in price…

Lindsey on April 26th, 2013 at 6:46 am

Oh man, this is the day we are leaving! We aren’t flying out until 4:30, but we will have used all of our tickets by the 24th :/

Leslie from FL on April 26th, 2013 at 6:55 am

YAY!!! We arrive on the 24th for Star Wars weekend! This is going to be AMAZING! May the Force be with all of us!!!

Katie on April 26th, 2013 at 8:23 am

Forgive me if I missed it in the article above – which night(s) will be all-nighters? We’re going to be there May 22-27 and would hate to have the all-nighter be the day that we’re leaving (27: Memorial Day).

Thomas Smith on April 26th, 2013 at 1:04 pm

No problem, Katie. The parks will stay open from 6 a.m., May 24 to 6 a.m., May 25, 2013, local time. And the all-night party is happening at the Magic Kingdom Park in Florida and Disneyland park and Disney California Adventure park in California.

Keith from NH on April 26th, 2013 at 8:32 am

One day too early. I’ll be on the Fantasy on the 24th. Back at WDW on the 25th.

Jen on April 26th, 2013 at 9:13 am

omg…this would be so much fun…i would give the world to be able to take my kiddos…but, with 5 of them…it’s just a dream for us :(

SUE on April 26th, 2013 at 9:24 am

Brilliant, would love to be there , Tempted to cash in my daughters college fund so we can come! (Oh the irony!) We are huge Monsters Inc fans and can’t wait for Monsters University. How long will the extra Monsters uni stuff be in the parks?

Thomas Smith on April 26th, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Hi Sue, it’s going to be a Monstrous Summer at the parks. Did you see Shawn’s post? http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/04/attend-monsters-university-at-disney-parks-this-summer/

Megan on April 26th, 2013 at 9:33 am

For those asking about the extra ticket fees, I just wanted to point out that I went to the all-nighter on Leap Day last year and there was NO extra ticket fee; it was the same price to get in as a regular day and no matter when you got there between 6am the first day and 6am the second morning, it was still just 1 day’s worth of your hopper. However, if you went to this, then went back to MK or another park after it ended, it was counted as another day, just like it would be if you went two days in a row. I obviously have no idea if this will be similar, but I can’t see why it wouldn’t be. Clearly the all-nighter was so awesome last year that they had to find a way to do it again :-) I hope everyone who goes has an amazing time like I did!!!

Thomas Smith on April 26th, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Thanks, Megan.

Amy from FL on April 26th, 2013 at 11:01 am

Will the Epcot Ball be lit like this until the event, or was it just for this announcement?

Kerry on April 26th, 2013 at 11:25 am

Bah, missing this by a few days…we’re leaving on the 22nd. Sad!

erica on April 26th, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Can I use my Deluxe Passport that day?

Brandon on April 26th, 2013 at 2:03 pm

I just wanted to make sure that paying to have my pass unblocked for the event is a one time thing and not for two days since it spans across the weekend!

Scott on April 26th, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Will the Sulley eye be on spaceship earth all summer or just until the special 3 day event? Would love to see it when I am there in August.

John on April 26th, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I have a question, we have a deluxe annual pass to Disneyland and May 25th is a blackout date. Will that mean that after 12am we will not be able to hop parks? Just want to be sure. Thanks!

Caitlyn on April 26th, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Awesome! We went to One More Disney Day and my then-boyfriend though February 29th would be a great day to propose while watching the fireworks! Now a trip to Disney will always have extra special meaning for us!

Patricia on April 26th, 2013 at 2:58 pm

I came here to ask the same question as John. We have a Deluxe pass to Disneyland and can go the 24th, but the 25th is blocked. So I wanted to know how that will work out for us?

Denisse on April 26th, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I was wondering if Disney e-tickets would be valid admission for Disneyland’s Monsters All-Nighter. If we do use our Disney-e-tickets will we receive standard Disneyland tickets?

Miryam from FL on April 26th, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Hi Thomas – I have a Southern California pass in California and want to participate. The pass is valid on Friday, but not on Saturday. How will that work with the event? At midnight I won’t be able to park hop anymore? Please address this as I see others have in the blog as well. Thanks!

Elizabeth on April 26th, 2013 at 4:53 pm

So many questions — and thank you for answering most of them! I only have a few more…

1. Are you allowing people with passes or park-hopper tickets to move between Disneyland and California Adventure throughout the 24 hours?

2. Even if park-hopping is allowed, if things get as crowded on the plaza between the parks as they did on Leap Day — which I loved, btw — and it would make more sense for people to stay put in one park overnight… will California Adventure continue to serve alcohol throughout the night.

Sorry, but I had to ask :-)

Janice on April 26th, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Will all rides be open and will have have fast pass?

Gregory on April 26th, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I (and many other people) are wondering how the Grad Nite at Disneyland & DCA will mesh with this event. Specifically, what if any, parts of the parks will be exclusively for Grad Nite attendees at what times?

[ UNOFFICIAL answer to those with Deluxe passes - the entire 24 Leap Day event was considered as ONE day - starting at the beginning, naturally, so you should be able to get into either park after midnight {assuming they haven't stopped admitting guests) ]

Maggie on April 26th, 2013 at 6:06 pm

I am so excited! This is going to be our day 1 of 3! What are the hours for the parks on May 25th after the allnighter is done? I dont want to miss OPA!

Lisa on April 26th, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Are you guaranteed to get in for the 24 hour event or is it a ‘first come first serve’ event? I am considering coming down JUST for this event. Thanks!