Mickey and Friends at Disneyland Park

More Magic Coming to the Disney Magic and Disney Cruise Line

posted on April 26th, 2013 by Jonathan Frontado, Disney Cruise Line

I’m thrilled to share Disney Cruise Line‘s exciting news today…there’s an extra dose of magic coming aboard the Disney Magic! Our first ship in the fleet is getting a “reimagineering” transformation during dry dock from Sept. 7 through Oct. 10, 2013.

AquaDunk Thrill Slide on the Disney Magic AquaDunk Thrill Slide on the Disney Magic

We’re adding brand-new experiences like AquaDunk, a really cool thrill slide that starts with a near-vertical launch and then sends guests in a translucent tube 20 feet over the side of the ship…

Marvel's Avengers Academy on the Disney Magic

…and a chance for young “recruits” to unleash their inner super heroes at Marvel’s Avengers Academy! This is the first time Super Heroes from the Marvel Universe have been introduced on a Disney Cruise Line ship.

Redesigned Grand Atrium Lobby on the Disney Magic

Plus, we’re re-imagining spaces, starting with a beautifully redesigned grand atrium lobby…

AquaLab Water Playground on the Disney Magic

…bringing more splashtacular fun up on deck with the AquaLab water playground, Twist n’ Spout slide and Nephews’ Splash Zone for toddlers…

Dine at Carioca's on the Disney Magic

….giving families a vibrant new dining room, Carioca’s, inspired by Rio de Janeiro…

Adult-only Palo Restaurant on the Disney Magic

….and sprinkling the pixie dust on our adult-only Palo restaurant and Senses Spa & Salon.

With an all-new lineup of clubs in the After Hours nighttime district, and with new lands of adventure in Disney’s Oceaneer Club, Disney’s Oceaneer Lab and It’s A Small World Nursery, both adults and kids have entirely new areas just for them. We’ll be taking a closer look inside these spaces in the weeks to come.

Over the next several months we’ll be sharing tons of videos so you can have all the details on the ship’s transformation. We’ll also be giving exclusive sneak peeks to Disney Cruise Line fans on Facebook, including a Disney Magic Re-Imagined video series with global architecture expert Danny Forster. Be sure to check out the first video posted today at www.facebook.com/disneycruiseline!

And if you want to be one of the first to take a virtual ride on AquaDunk, check out the Disney Cruise Line Facebook page today at 12 p.m. ET to “experience” this extreme thrill slide (through the eyes of Donald Duck!)

Fans, tell us – which of these magical details coming to the Disney Magic excites you most?

Keep an eye on the Disney Parks Blog and Disney Cruise Line Facebook page, and follow @DisneyCruise on Twitter for all of the exciting updates about the Disney Magic’s transformation! While you’re on Twitter, join in the conversation by using the hashtag #DisneyMagic.

Filed: Disney Cruise Line

Arielle from NC on April 26th, 2013 at 9:46 am

We will be on the Magic for the first time in 2014. I am so happy this will be done before our trip, what an awesome bonus!! I’m most excited about the refresh of ALL these spaces versus any one detail. After being on the Dream, we were concerned our visit to the Magic might pale in comparison, but now we are looking forward to this cruise more than ever!

Dale from MD on April 26th, 2013 at 9:59 am

The slide looks like fun! Any changes to my favorite spot on the ship, Quiet Cove?

Alecia from LA on April 26th, 2013 at 10:07 am

My kids would say that the Aqua Dunk is the most exciting detail. After sailing on the Fantasy last year, they commented that they would want to sail on the Magic again (our first sail was in 2010) if it had a water feature like the Aqua Duck. I’m going to enjoy following the redesign of the grand atrium lobby. I guess the pictures I took back in 2010 will be considered nostalgic once it’s complete. :)

Monique from FL on April 26th, 2013 at 10:28 am

Can I just say now you have given me a pretty good reason for my husband to want to say yes to a Disney cruise?! Avengers Recruitment? I know its for youngsters but he’ll find a way in

Gloria on April 26th, 2013 at 10:39 am

I knew it because when I sailed on the Magic last summer, the ship needed a refurb. I also was spot on when I told my friends that when that ship goes into drydock if they can put in an aquaduck like on the Dream and Fantasy they’re going to do it because it’s so popular. Now, I only wish they would sail out of New York again because not having to fly to the cruise port was awesome. It’s not that I don’t mind flying, it’s just that it is more of a nuisance these days and besides you don’t need to be up at the crack of dawn for a flight!

Lauren from MD on April 26th, 2013 at 10:40 am

We consider the Magic to be our families “home ship” and we are so excited to see it getting some extra love. I can’t wait to sail her again!

Craig on April 26th, 2013 at 10:52 am

I’m looking forward to the transformation of Topsider Buffet into Cabanas.

William from TX on April 26th, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Any info on if a concierge lounge will be added to the Magic during this reimagineering?

Beverly on April 26th, 2013 at 3:35 pm

We will be sailing on our first Magic Disney cruise in Jan, 2014. So glad the Magic will be 1st class by then!!! And yes, my husband will want to sneak into the Avengers Experience too. I’m glad they are bringing the older, smaller ship “up to speed.”

Cory from AB on April 27th, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Are you also going to be adding the interactive art and the Midship Detective Agency to Magic in the refurb?

Matthew from PA on April 29th, 2013 at 8:38 am

This is awesome! The Magic is my favorite of the Disney cruise ships and it’s great to see her getting so much attention.

Any word on updates to the staterooms? I saw in another press release that the beds are being elevated, ala the newer cruise ships for additional space. Any word in that case if the beds can still be split? The was the only downside of the Fantasy’s staterooms with our family

Carolina on April 30th, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I’m so excited that this will be done in time for our New Year’s cruise in December :) Yay!

Mindy from IL on May 7th, 2013 at 10:17 am

I didn’t realize the Magic didn’t have the aquaduck when we booked our MLK wknd cruise, I thought it was always on there! But what a bonus!!! So excited!!!

Michael on May 9th, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Jonathan,
I was wondering what is going to happen to the Chihuly chandelier originally installed on the ship? Any Chihuly piece is a true work or artistry and craftsmanship and it’s a shame to see that the chandelier may not longer grace the atrium anymore! So I hope you can give me some insight on where it is going, or if it is being sold off.

stacey on May 22nd, 2013 at 11:18 am

Will disney wonder be getting a reimagineering makeover? Love the fleet :)

Sharon from FL on September 14th, 2013 at 10:36 am

I agree with Craig. I am also looking forward to the transformation of Topsider Buffet into Cabanas.

I think the new Aqua Dunk will be great.

Glad they are transforming the kids clubs, as after being in the Dream and Fantasy, the kids would be a little disappointed in them. I felt like the kids clubs were the biggest difference between the Magic/Wonder and Dream/Fantasy.

My teenager wants to know if the teen club is getting a make-over or if it is just the lab and club.

Joyce on September 14th, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I was so excited to hear the old deck chairs from the Magic were available at Company D in California. I bought 6. Lots of memories around my pool now. I have cruised many times on Disney and the first was in l998 on the Magic inaugural. I’ll be there again in January to see the redo. Thanks Disney