Walt Disney World Resort, The Haunted Mansion

‘Star Wars’ Droid Factory Expands to New Locations at Disney Parks

posted on April 12th, 2013 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

“‘Star

In May 2012, we opened the first Star Wars Droid Factory experience at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. I’m delighted to announce that we’ve expanded the build-your-own droid experience to new locations at Disneyland park in California and Downtown Disney Marketplace in Florida. I spoke with toy merchandiser Cody Hampton at Disney Theme Park Merchandise about what’s in store for fans.
“‘Star

“The Droid Factory has been an incredibly popular experience with our fans,” explained Cody. “After the initial launch, we heard our fans loud and clear that they also wanted this interactive experience in California. I’m beyond happy that guests are able to exit Star Tours – The Adventures Continue at Disneyland park and be able to build their own droids.”
“‘Star

A Droid Factory build station opened at Once Upon a Toy in the Downtown Disney Marketplace earlier this month. For California, the new build station can be found in The Star Trader in Tomorrowland at Disneyland park starting April 13.
“‘Star

Guests are able to build “astromech” droids from the Star Wars galaxy. (Here’s a closer look at this series of droids from the official Star Wars website)
“‘Star

The new experiences will feature more build stations for guests to make their own droid action figures. They were designed as a square, which can accommodate up to four guests at one time (that’s two more build stations than the current version at Tatooine Traders in Disney’s Hollywood Studios).

May the Force be with you … and your droids!

Tagged: , , , , ,

Filed: Disney's Hollywood Studios, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort, Downtown Disney, Walt Disney World Resort

Fred from CA on April 12th, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Very cool! :) I’m looking forward to seeing this in person at Disneyland.
I just hope that this doesn’t make the Star Trader too crowded, especially when guests are exiting the ride.

Dinah on April 12th, 2013 at 4:09 pm

My day has just been made, thank you!

Steven Miller on April 15th, 2013 at 9:33 am

@Dinah – Happy to hear! And thanks for the reply about pricing.

Dolores on April 12th, 2013 at 5:28 pm

It would be really great to know the price ranges so I could budget this into our trip. With 4 little ones, I gotta prepare!

Brittney from AL on April 12th, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Those are adorable! And it’s such a fun experience!!! And I’m not even a Star Wars junkie :)

Dinah on April 12th, 2013 at 6:42 pm

@Dolores: My cousin who’s at DL today said that it’s $12.95 for one droid or $19.95 for two. They get put in packages (one droid in a single package/two droids in a double package), so if you buy two, you cannot put them in the single package or you will be charged for the single price, if that makes sense. Hope your kids enjoy them.

Jason on April 13th, 2013 at 1:58 am

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!! The construction of a Droid army begins…

Jessica from CA on April 13th, 2013 at 3:58 am

This is so cool! I can’t wait to create my own in the future! :) There’s even Mickey ears you can put on the droids?! Totally cool! Besides the Create your own Mr. Potato Head, there’s this! Nice addition DLR!

Steven Miller on April 15th, 2013 at 9:36 am

@Jason – You’re welcome! Happy droid building!

@Jessica – There are multi-colored ear hats, a Goofy hat, a pirate hat, a fedora and a Yoda ballcap.

Timothy on April 13th, 2013 at 9:42 am

I am so excited about this, but disappointed I missed it by weeks! Looks like a trip back to Disneyland will happen sooner than I planned!

Sarah on April 13th, 2013 at 9:46 am

Fantastic, my two boys will be saving their spending money to purchase plenty on our trip in July. They are both majorly excited, thank you!!

Steven Miller on April 15th, 2013 at 9:37 am

@Sarah – I hope you have a wonderful trip! My son just built two more droids on Saturday at the Once Upon a Toy location. He loves the experience!

Carla from AZ on April 13th, 2013 at 10:07 am

I think this is awesome! I also wish they’d bring back the Mr. Potato Head parts to the Disneyland Resort. My girls are so disappointed that was lost with the overhaul of California Adventure.

TODD from LA on April 13th, 2013 at 4:59 pm

When are the rest of the celebrities for Star Wars Weekends 2013 going to be announced?

Courtney on April 14th, 2013 at 11:46 pm

So pumped. Huge Star Wars fan, I was there last year building my saber with my Ewok backpack and R2 ears on, so constructing a droid is a must this year!!!

stephanie on April 15th, 2013 at 5:23 am

Hello Dear Steven,
I love that idea !
My son is a Star Wars fan.
He has dozen of light sabers he made himself so he will be happy to create is own droïd.
Do you think that this good idea could come here at Disneyland Paris ?
Thank you to let me know.
Have a magical day !