Disneyland Paris, Phantom Manor

Journey to Norway – No Passport Needed

posted on May 6th, 2013 by Gene Duncan, Photographer, Walt Disney World Resort

Journey to Norway Without a Passport in the Norway Pavilion at Epcot
Depending on where you live in Norway, you can go for months with the sun never setting, or rising. Hence, “The Land of the Midnight Sun” loosely defines much of this ancient country. As I recently visited the Norway Pavilion in Epcot, the weather happened to be dark and blustery-something Norwegians, no doubt, see a lot more than we do in Florida. I decided to exploit the weather a little, reaching into a little photographer’s bag of “tricks” to help heighten a sense of drama that faced Vikings as well as gnomes.

HDR, or High Dynamic Range, is a photographic process by which one can alter the appearance of reality-in small and large ways. Today, I thought it provided a different look to a pavilion that has been seen by countless guests over its 25-year existence. It is my hope to travel somewhere between history and mythology.

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Epcot, Walt Disney World Resort

Matthew on May 6th, 2013 at 9:15 am

I LOVE the Norway Pavilion. Whether it’s riding the Maelstrom or having an Aquavit Glacial shot, I always make sure to stop by when I’m traveling through the World Showcase.

Kalya on May 6th, 2013 at 10:21 am

I love your photography so much! It is always exciting when you have a new post. I’m an amateur photographer myself and very much love taking pictures in Disney World. I still talk about your door knob pictures from forever ago and the little girl’s shadow with the wings. Your pictures inspire me to look for new little details every time I go to Disney and in my day to day picture taking.

Tim on May 6th, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I love the look of these HDR photos and wish I knew how to do it myself.

Gene Duncan on May 6th, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Thanks Tim- There is a great deal of info on HDR on the internet, with very nice tutorials. Plus, the process is getting easier all the time, with new and improved user-friendly software.

Gene Duncan on May 6th, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Kalya, thank you so much for your kind words. The “fairy” shadow shot is one of my favorites, too. I am happy that these posts give you inspiration in some way. Good luck in your photo pursuits!

Crystal on May 6th, 2013 at 1:31 pm

The photo’s look really good …… ummmb but Being married to a Norwegian there TROLLS not gnomes ;)

Gene Duncan on May 6th, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Thank you Crystal- Obviously, I was confused! :-)

Dustin on May 6th, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Gene, your work is always fantastic. Any chance the posts can include bigger versions of the photos? I like to use Disney photos as desktop backgrounds, but these are not large enough :)