You’re going to love the Disney Cruise Line recipe we’re sharing this month: a very flavorful seafood risotto! Another guest favorite at Palo, this saffron risotto dish is served with shrimp, mussels, clams and fried zucchini. Check out this video with Palo’s Executive Chef Silvio as he shows you how to make this delicious entrée.
Saffron Risotto served with Fried Zucchini, Shrimp, Mussels, and Clams
- 1 small zucchini, sliced lengthwise into paper-thin strips
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 6 cups fish or vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped shallot
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 12 mussels, scrubbed
- 12 clams, scrubbed
- 12 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups seafood or vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 4 stems fresh thyme
- 4 stems fresh oregano
- 4 stems fresh rosemary
- 4 fresh chives
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- Shaved parmesan cheese, to taste
For fried zucchini:
Heat oil in a large, deep pot until it shimmers. Working in batches of 3 or 4, gently drop zucchini strips into hot oil. Cook until crisp and golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Keep warm.
- Warm stock in a small saucepan over medium heat. Keep warm.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat; add onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice and toast lightly for 1 minute. Add wine and cook until almost completely absorbed. Add 1 cup stock and cook until it is mostly absorbed, stirring often. Continue adding stock, 1 cup at a time, simmering, stirring often, until almost all broth is absorbed before adding next cup. Add stock until rice is creamy and cooked through.
- Stir in saffron threads and mascarpone; season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- Warm olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat; add shallot and garlic, cooking until softened and golden, about 2 minutes.
- Add mussels, clams, and shrimp; stir to combine. Add stock; cover, and bring to a simmer. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until shellfish has opened and shrimp are just cooked through. Stir in tarragon. Keep warm.
Create 4 bundles of 1 stem each of thyme, oregano, and rosemary. Tie a chive around each bundle to secure.
Gently fold seafood into risotto. Divide risotto mixture evenly among 4 serving plates. Top each serving with fried zucchini strips, 3 cherry tomatoes, an herb bundle, and shaved parmesan cheese.
Yum! Read on for more recipes from Disney Cruise Line: