Walt Disney World, The Haunted Mansion Graveyard Scene

Star Wars – D-Tech Me Experience Returns to Star Wars Weekends at Disney’s Hollywood Studios Starting May 17, 2013

posted on May 6th, 2013 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

“Star

I’m excited to share that the Star Wars – D-Tech Me experience will be returning for Star Wars Weekends at Disney’s Hollywood Studios this year. The experience will be located inside Darth’s Mall, the highly themed merchandise destination located in the courtyard adjacent to Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith. You may recall we first introduced the Carbon-Freeze Me experience last year during Star Wars Weekends (my fellow author Gary Buchanan explains how it works in this video). We also introduced the experience at Celebration VI, the ultimate Star Wars fan event that was held last August in Orlando, Florida.

This year, we are bringing back the popular “cast yourself in Carbonite” option that was inspired by a scene from Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back. We are also delighted to offer a new option featuring the elite soldiers of the Galactic Empire, the Stormtroopers.
“Star

The 10-minute experience uses the world’s highest-resolution, single-shot 3D face scanner created by our Imagineering scientists with Disney Research labs. That captured image is later sent to a high resolution 3D printer to create the figurine. The completed figurine will arrive within 7-8 weeks after the experience if shipping domestically (it takes a little longer if shipping internationally). Guests will also receive either a Carbon-Freeze Me light-up band or a collector button depending upon which option they choose.

The Star Wars – D-Tech Me experience is $99.95, plus shipping and applicable sales tax.
“Star

To book your experience, please call 407-WDW-TECH (407-939-8324) to ask about availability. We will only offer the experience during Star Wars Weekends 2013 (May 17 – 19, May 24 – 26, May 31 – June 2, and June 7 – 9).

Please note: Separate theme park admission required for Disney’s Hollywood Studios. No discounts apply unless otherwise noted. Guests must be at least three (3) years of age to participate. A valid accepted credit card number is required at time of booking. No-shows or in the event a reservation is cancelled within 48 hours of scheduled experience will result in such credit card being charged a $25 cancellation fee. The experience, due to its personalized nature, is non-refundable and not eligible for an exchange. Children must be accompanied by an adult at least 18 years of age or older during the entire experience. Certain restrictions may apply. All prices, components and information are subject to change without notice.

Filed: Disney's Hollywood Studios, Special Events, Walt Disney World Resort

Diane on May 6th, 2013 at 11:11 am

That is really great – maybe we will do it this year! Really awesome that you can be a Stormtrooper too !!

Jennifer on May 6th, 2013 at 11:16 am

Is merchandise put out each day? Just wondering if everything will be picked over or sold out. We will be making out first ever visit to SWW on June 9th. I know this is the last day. My boys especially like to collect pins. Thanks Steven!

Steven Miller on May 6th, 2013 at 1:43 pm

@Jennifer – I hope you have a wonderful trip. Typically, all of the items are released that first weekend. There are very few exceptions, like some of the Vinylmation figures (see Question 5 in this article for those release dates – http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/03/first-look-at-star-wars-weekends-2013-merchandise-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/).

I can say that some of the more limited edition items may not be available by the last weekend. It really depends upon popularity of items. Yet you should still be able to find a great souvenir from your trip on that last weekend.

Jason on May 6th, 2013 at 11:16 am

FYI…According to the people answering the phone the experience is NOT loaded in the system yet…when will we be able to book?

Steven Miller on May 6th, 2013 at 1:45 pm

@Jason – My sincere apologies for the challenge this morning. All should be resolved now.

Ashley on May 6th, 2013 at 11:20 am

When you book, does it charge the whole amount or just use your credit card to hold your reservation? Thanks!

Steven Miller on May 6th, 2013 at 1:48 pm

@Ashley – The card is only used to hold the reservation. You aren’t charged until you complete the experience at Darth’s Mall.

Debra from NJ on May 6th, 2013 at 11:22 am

What fun! This would make a great Father’s Day gift! We’ll be there opening weekend.

Michael on May 6th, 2013 at 11:50 am

That is so awesome. Thanks for bringing it back and adding the Stormtrooper!!!!

Mark on May 6th, 2013 at 12:11 pm

I just got through after 20 mins – it’s not ready for booking yet and they don’t know when it will be ready.

Missy from NY on May 6th, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Ashley — Last year, they only charged to reserve your timeslot/date. and then when you go thru the experience, you pay afterwards as you decide then, how many of the figures you want, how many people actually did it, etc. (ie- hubby and i ordered two of each so we could give to our parents).

I love that there is a new option this year. I only hope I have enough money to maybe go this year and do it! :) Was fun doing the carbonite last year! :)

Thanks Disney for bringing this back!

Johnathon on May 6th, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I had the same experience as Mark – the system isn’t yet ready to take requests. I was told I should keep calling back every couple of days to check if it was ready.

Steven, do you know if one person can get both a carbon-frozen version and the Stormtrooper? Thanks!

Steven Miller on May 6th, 2013 at 1:53 pm

@Johnathan – The issues should be resolved now and reservations are being accepted. My apologies for the challenge this morning.

Yes, a Guest can get both the Stormtrooper and the figure in Carbonite. There will be two different face images captured but that can be done within the same appointment (if that makes sense). Just advise the Star Wars – D-Tech Me technician when you arrive for your experience at Darth’s Mall that you would like both figures.

Allison on May 6th, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I just called and they told me it would be a walk up/first come first serve experience. I am going to check again later in the week.

Steven Miller on May 6th, 2013 at 2:12 pm

@Allison – Due to the popularity of this experience, reservations are strongly recommended. I invite you call 407-WDW-TECH (407-939-8324) today and they can assist you with making a reservation. I’m sorry for any confusion.

Michael on May 6th, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I just got through and the booking is up. I was able to reserve my time.

Tracy from MA on May 6th, 2013 at 1:32 pm

that’s so cool! If I was going, I’d do the make me a storm tropper thing! :)

Mark on May 6th, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Yeeeees! Got through again and booked with no problem. Gonna do both. It is ONLY on the weekends (incl. Friday)

Daryl on May 6th, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Any option for a bald/shaved head?

Steven Miller on May 6th, 2013 at 5:45 pm

@Daryl – Here is some additional information from the Star Wars – D-Tech Me team. This only applies to Stormtroopers.

A Guest will select a color from a color palette that best matches his or her own hair color.

Hair styles for male Stormtroopers include crew cut, buzz cut, “Han Solo”-like hair and bald.

The only option for female Stormtroopers is the pulled back style (so that the hair would fit under her helmet).

William on May 6th, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Oh I am doing the Stormtrooper this year without a doubt! We’ll be there the opening weekend and can not wait!

Mitchell on May 6th, 2013 at 3:48 pm

It was great to read today’s news. Called and got a reservation with no problems. Final question is about other merchandise. Do you have pictures and prices for the four medium figures and the Mickey Anakin bust?

Steven Miller on May 7th, 2013 at 10:18 am

@Mitchell – Please see the image gallery in this article for a photo of the four medium figures. I don’t have an image of the Mickey Mouse as Anakin Skywalker bust.

I know that the medium figures will have a retail of $99.95 each, while the bust will retail for $65.00 (please note that all retails are subject to change without notice).

Edwin from FL on May 6th, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Can’t wait to go with the family.

Allison on May 6th, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Steven-I called again tonight and got a reservation for the first day! Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

Steven Miller on May 7th, 2013 at 10:18 am

@Allison – Outstanding! Glad to help. I hope to see you at Star Wars Weekends this year.

Scott on May 6th, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Sure would be nice if this was offered at other times of the year… maybe say… Christmas.

Timothy on May 7th, 2013 at 2:23 am

This is great. Will we be able to see what the other merchandise will look like for SWW? Can we see the T shirts for all guests and Annual Passholders please?

Chris from FL on May 7th, 2013 at 8:37 am

How tall is the Storm Trooper figure. Hard to tell from a photo.

Steven Miller on May 7th, 2013 at 10:23 am

@Chris – With the base, the figure stands about 7.5-inches tall. The base measures about 4-inches wide by 2.25-inches long.

Tom on May 7th, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Booked mine. Doing 24 hours at the Magic Kingdom the day before… so I’ll be a sleepy Stormtrooper.

Mark on May 8th, 2013 at 8:27 am

Any word on the packaging yet for the stormtrooper? Will it come on a blister card or in a box like the carbon block?

Steven Miller on May 8th, 2013 at 3:19 pm

@Tom – How awesome! I hope to see you in the Magic Kingdom on May 24.

@Mark – The Stormtrooper will be packaged in a decorated (and padded) box to ensure safe transit. We will use the same packaging as last year for the Carbon-Freeze Me Experience.

Christine from NY on May 9th, 2013 at 9:43 am

Hi Steven, I know I’m a couple of days late but I wanted to ask if you knew whether or not they are going to bring back the D-Tech me Princess. I’m going back to Florida to visit my mom in July and I would love it if they brought it back by then. Any information that you have I would greatly appreciate it. Also I don’t know if you already answered this but how long is the Stars Wars D-Tech me going to last?

Thanks for all the great posts and I also can’t wait to pick up my Princess and Villain Shoe Christmas Ornaments! =)

Steven Miller on May 9th, 2013 at 11:43 pm

@Christine – I’ve not heard of any plans at this point about D-Tech Me Princess. I know the team has been focused on Star Wars – D-Tech Me and the addition of the Stormtroopers. Currently, the experience is only scheduled to run during Star Wars Weekends 2013. Look for an article coming soon specifically about the new shoe ornaments.

Joe from ON on May 9th, 2013 at 10:22 am

I will be there May 31 I tried to book and they still havent opened up booking yet

Steven Miller on May 9th, 2013 at 11:46 pm

@Joe – I’m glad to hear you will be visiting. I am not sure what you mean by they “haven’t opened up booking” for May 31. I called the D-Tech Me line this evening – 407-WDW-TECH (407-939-8324) – and confirmed that they are currently taking resevations. If you are still interested, please place another call so that a Cast Member can assist you.

Paul on May 10th, 2013 at 12:36 pm

So Excited to do this!!!!!!

Already made the appointment!!

Do you have any photos of the “padded box” that the figures are to be mailed in?
Is there a plastic window to see the figure in the decorated box? Do we need to open up the box in order to see the figure?

At $99.99 per figure, is there an option to have the figure delivered in a blister card like the one that you would be able to find in a store on the shelf ready for sale?

Steven Miller on May 13th, 2013 at 4:46 pm

@Paul – I’m glad to hear of your excitement. Unfortunately, I don’t have any images of the packaging. We will have some packaging on display at Darth’s Mall. I’m sorry to report there are no plans at this point for blister card packaging for Stormtroopers.

Joe from ON on May 11th, 2013 at 12:48 am

Ya I got mine book for June 1 at 12pm

Fernando on May 11th, 2013 at 12:50 am

SUPER STOKED! I already booked mine! I finally get to clone myself….as a Stormtrooper :)

William on May 11th, 2013 at 1:35 am

Its KILLING me that I wont be there during the times it will be available (I don’t go down until the last 2 weeks in august) and I would LOVE to do this, and I really really want to do it. Is there any word on if it may be available at any other time, or if there is anyway for us folk who wont be in Disneyland during the star wars weekends to be able to get a personalized storm trooper?

William on May 11th, 2013 at 1:37 am

*meant to say disneyworld not land :-)

Sarah on May 12th, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I’d also like to know if there are plans to bring this in outside of the Star Wars weekends. As I’m from the U.K we can only make it over in August due to kids school holidays. My husband and boys would love to have this done.

Steven Miller on May 13th, 2013 at 4:49 pm

@William and Sarah – Currently, we are only offering this experience for Star Wars Weekends. I don’t know of any plans to offer it in different locations, like Disneyland Resort, or at different times of the year.

brian on May 13th, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Hi from the uk, will be over for the star wars weekend do you know what the cost for shipment back to uk would be and is there places still left to book?

Steven Miller on May 13th, 2013 at 4:55 pm

@Brian – We are still taking appointments for this experience. International shipping rates start at $75.00 and final rates would be determined after the experience at Darth’s Mall. The final rate depends on where you are shipping the item.

Alex on May 16th, 2013 at 12:03 am

Me and my family can’t wait I booked appointments for four of us and I love that you guys are offering a female trooper for my wife and daughter thank you! I read that the figure will be close to 7.5 inches but is it poseable or fixed like a statue? And also can the figure wear the helmet? Thanks and can’t wait till I’m there June 8!

Steven Miller on May 18th, 2013 at 9:01 am

@Alex – Wow! That’s awesome. I hope you have a great trip. The figure does not move and the helmet can’t be worn.

Beth on May 18th, 2013 at 1:14 pm

when will you post a video of the storm tropper experince cause you didn’t yesterday

Steven Miller on May 18th, 2013 at 8:40 pm

@Beth – I’m a little confused by your comment. I don’t have any video to show from this year’s experience. You can, however, see the Carbon-Freeze Me Experience in this video from last year. The experience is similar except that it’s now located in Darth’s Mall. I was at Star Wars Weekends today with my son and we had a blast!

Mike on May 23rd, 2013 at 2:33 pm

For younger children, will there be armor in their size to wear or is it ideally for more adult-sized frames? My son is 7.

Eric on June 11th, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Steven,
My son and I just recieved our Carbon Freeze statues, but my son’s is not of him. Try as I might I cannot find a support number. Do you have any idea how I can contact customer service for the D-Tech.me merchandise?

Steven Miller on June 12th, 2013 at 2:20 pm

@Eric – I’m sorry to hear of this challenge. Please contact our Walt Disney World Merchandise Guest Services team at 1-877-560-6477 or merchandiseguestservices@disney.go.com. When you contact Merchandise Guest Services, please have your receipt and order number ready to share with the Cast Member. Once you have provided Guest Services with the issues relating back to your figurine please allow Guest Services about 72 hours to research and contact you with product resolution.

William on June 26th, 2013 at 12:51 am

I’ve recived the order summarys for my figures. In both emails the order status says “Ready to ship out
Picked up on site”. Does this mean that they are shiping them out me or do I have to go to the park to pick them up?

Thanks, Bill

Mark on July 11th, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Bill – you will get another e-mail when they ship – the page with your picture will then have a FedEx tracking #.

Carlos on July 16th, 2013 at 10:16 am

Hi Steven, I place two orders a carbón freeze and storm trooper on may 31, the carbón freeze arrives with no issues, stills no news of the storm trooper, not a tracking currier numer or nothing, the carbón freeze figurine was all time tracked.
Is there an email where I can ask for some feedback regardig the delivery date? the D-tech.me web site have Little but not enough info.

Thanks!

Tom on July 27th, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Is there a website, email address, or phone number to call for receiving defective figures? I received mine after 2 months as expected, but the face looks like I’m wearing mask. The color around the face is darker than the head, so it just looks weird. A lot of the color blended in on the body as well. Some of the parts that are supposed to be black are white. I can’t find a place to send it back or ask about having it corrected.

Wayne on August 1st, 2013 at 1:10 pm

I ordered my D-tech me storm trooper on June 1. It has now been nine weeks since my order, yet I still have no storm trooper and no further updates from d-tech me other than my status which says ready to ship, pick up on site. Looking for a phone number or e-mail so I can check on the status of my figure. It’s over due.

ANGELA from TX on August 16th, 2013 at 12:45 am

We ordered two of the Storm Troopers in June and have not received them nor have we received any type of status update. Any idea of how we can make contact so that we can get a status update on the order?

Wayne on August 19th, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Just an update, after not receiving it after nine weeks, I called Disney through the Disney merchandise number. They told the exact date it would ship and then called back to confirm. Sure enough, a few days later it arrived. BUT that’s not even the odd part. A week later, a second package arrived. In it was an identical, second storm trooper of me. Only thing is I only ordered one. Go figure.