Disneyland Resort, Haunted Mansion

Vintage Walt Disney World: An ‘A’ Attraction or an ‘E’?

posted on May 9th, 2013 by Nate Rasmussen, Archivist, Marketing Resource Center

A few weeks ago, I shared my very first ticket to Walt Disney World Resort. This prompted blog reader Skip to ask if we had any photographs of the old A to E tickets used at Magic Kingdom Park. With the help of my friends at the Walt Disney Archives, I was able to track them down.

The Omnibus, an 'A' Ticket Attraction at Magic Kingdom Park A Vintage 'A' Ticket for Attractions at Magic Kingdom Park

Want to take a ride on the Omnibus on Main Street, U.S.A.? Grab your A ticket and enjoy the double-decker view!

The Mike Fink Keel Boat, a 'B' Ticket Attraction at Magic Kingdom Park A Vintage 'B' Ticket for Attractions at Magic Kingdom Park

Don’t know what to do with your B ticket? Climb aboard a Mike Fink Keel Boat and sail around the Rivers of America.

Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride, a 'C' Ticket Attraction at Magic Kingdom Park A Vintage 'C' Ticket for Attractions at Magic Kingdom Park

That C ticket you’re holding would have been perfect to take a spin aboard Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride.

The Admiral Joe Fowler, a 'D' Ticket Attraction at Magic Kingdom Park A Vintage 'D' Ticket for Attractions at Magic Kingdom Park

Already ridden on the Omnibus and a Mike Fink Keel Boat? Why not make it a trifecta with a voyage aboard the Admiral Joe Fowler with your D ticket?

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, an 'E' Ticket Attraction at Magic Kingdom Park A Vintage 'E' Ticket for Attractions at Magic Kingdom Park

Use that E ticket wisely. Take a dive underwater on 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Although all-inclusive passport tickets were introduced at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland park in June of 1981 in advance of ticket books being phased, we still often lovingly refer to attractions by their ticket letter.

Check out these posts for more “Vintage Walt Disney World”:

Tagged:

Filed: Disney History, Walt Disney World Resort

Steven on May 9th, 2013 at 9:22 am

Sorry 20,000 Leagues and Jungle Cruise. My ‘E’ tickets would have been for the Haunted Mansion only.

Andrea on May 9th, 2013 at 9:40 am

Did the Tropical Serenade become the Tiki Room? If so I consider it more of a A ticket than an E ticket. To me Space Mountain and Matterhorn would be E tickets.

Nate Rasmussen on May 9th, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Matthew, below, answered the question for you! Thanks, Matthew.

Elizabeth on May 9th, 2013 at 9:54 am

While cleaning out my grandparents’ house, I came across the leftover ticket booklet from our trip in 1979. Quite a bit of nostalgia for my first time at the part and meeting Tigger!!

Fred from MI on May 9th, 2013 at 10:28 am

I first went to Walt Disney World on my honeymoon in 1975 – at my then wife’s insistence, I included a HALF DAY there just to say we had been. In that half day, we rode 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, and the magic became real, and I was hooked. Today, we are DVC members, and we will visit WDW three times this year – and I still wish that 20,000 Leagues would be brought back. LOL

James on May 9th, 2013 at 10:49 am

The Mike Fink Keel Boats were a bargain as a “B” ticket. I notice that this one did not include the Swan Boats. I think they were also a “B” in their short lived time.

Matthew on May 9th, 2013 at 11:10 am

“Tropical Serenade” was the name of the show that premiered at the Enchanted Tiki Room when the Magic Kingdom first opened. It is not an “A” ticket, for Pete’s sake — look at the other “A” ticket rides.

Today, it would probably be a “C” or “D” ticket, while Peter Pan would likely get bumped up to “D” or “E”. And of course Space Mountain would be an “E” ticket, but it didn’t exist yet!

Daniel from WI on May 9th, 2013 at 12:28 pm

The letter designation was based not on thrill level, but on popularity. It was fairly common for attractions to move up and down the alphabet, as it were, as their popularity waxed and waned over time. This year’s D or E could be next years’s B as the lines shortened. Conversely, a showing of an older property on television might spike the atraction it inspired for weeks to months.

The letter system was as much about managing the wait times as maximizing revenue. They also figured out that people who would not paay $2 for a single ride would pay $20 to go on ten rides.

Steve on May 9th, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Was “Flight to the Moon” the same ride as today’s Astro-Orbiter ride? I visited Disneyland in 1971 and remember ending our day on that ride.

Would not be a D today, but seemed well worth a “D” back then.

Nate Rasmussen on May 9th, 2013 at 1:57 pm

No, they were two separate attractions.

Christopher on May 9th, 2013 at 2:00 pm

I have a 1974 book, all stamped void because the Magic Kingdom Entrance/Transportation fell off. Lucky for me, someone kept it and sold it to me on eBay!

My favorite part is looking at it and seeing no Mountains on the E-Ticket! All three were well-established before I ever visited, so it’s crazy to think of a Magic Kingdom without them!

Alison from VA on May 9th, 2013 at 5:49 pm

A later version of those tickets had Pirates as an E – and the E tickets were an orangey color, kind of like the 500s in Monopoly money.

Skip from FL on May 9th, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Hallelujah! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
(I will have to buy you lunch the next time I’m in town!).

Nate Rasmussen on May 10th, 2013 at 10:12 am

You’re welcome, you’re welcome, you’re welcome.

Joe on May 10th, 2013 at 8:26 am

Peter Pan only a ‘C’ ticket? Hard to imagine, considering how much that ride is loved by so many people.

Melissa on May 10th, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Are you SURE about those dates?? I have a 3-Day Magic Kingdom Passport from 1978 in my album from my first trip to the world. I was 5! I can send you a pic if you want….

Melissa on May 10th, 2013 at 1:28 pm

PS… anyone want to guess how much a 3 day child passport cost in 1978? How about a one-day admission to River Country? I have that one too!

Susan from MA on May 12th, 2013 at 8:02 pm

not only do we have some of our unused A-E tickets from my family’s first trip to WDW on August 22 1973 but I came across an old parking pass on that day it was only 50 cents to park !!!!!

V from MD on May 13th, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Does anyone remember ‘If You Had Wings’? My parents were thrilled my favorite ride was a walk-on. (no ticket needed)

Anthony on September 5th, 2013 at 9:14 pm

I loved “If You Had Wings” and I still find myself humming the tune every now and then. I hope my childrens memories of our trips to Disney have the same lasting effect!