Aloha! Summer is officially here, and it’s time for a summer celebration! The Downtown Disney Summer Celebration, that is! This special event, on June 29 in the Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort, will be a celebration of the Pacific Islands. Come “Taste – Play – Live the Spirit of the Pacific Islands” with art, performances and – of course – delicious food.
Speaking of food, restaurants all over the Downtown Disney District will offer special menu items inspired by products from Dole – the event sponsor for the Downtown Disney Summer Celebration – from now through September 2. Want to bring a taste of the Pacific Islands home? Try out the recipe below from La Brea Bakery Café – and be on the lookout for more during the Downtown Disney Summer Celebration!
Dole Mango Chicken Salad
- Grilled chicken breast - 5 oz.
- DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts – Mango Cubes – 2 oz
- Jicama – 1.5 oz
- Toasted cashews - 1 oz
- Oil Blend (80/20) - 1 Tbsp/0.5 oz
- Green onions - 0.5 oz
- Butter lettuce - 3 oz
- Salt & pepper
Place the 5 oz. chicken breast in a bowl and add the 80/20 oil blend. Season with salt and pepper. Grill 4 minutes on each side. Place on a sheet tray and refrigerate until 41°. When cool, chop into 2” dice.
Charred Pineapple Vinaigrette:
- DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts – Pineapple Cubes – 16 oz
- Rice wine vinegar - 4 oz
- DOLE pineapple juice - 24 oz
- Ginger - 1 oz
- Dijon mustard – 2 Tbsp/1 oz
- 80/20 Oil blend - 2 Cups/16 oz
- Chili flakes - 0.25 oz
- Kosher salt - 2 tsp/0.34 oz
- Season DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts – Mango Cubes with Kosher salt & pepper then char them on the grill.
- Peel the ginger using a spoon and slice thinly. In a stainless steel pan, add DOLE pineapple juice & thinly sliced ginger. Reduce in half then reserve.
- In a food processor, add the 1) charred DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts – Pineapple Cubes, 2) rice wine vinegar, 3) Dijon mustard, 4) chili flakes, 5) the reduced DOLE pineapple juice & ginger – pouring the juice into the food processor through a strainer.
- Blend for 1 minute, then slowly add the 80/20 oil blend. Finish with Kosher salt.
- Peel jicama and cut into batons. Dice the batons into 1/8” dice.
- In a 350° oven, toast the cashews for 10 minutes – stirring after 5 minutes.
- Wash the green onions and trim off the white part. Slice on a bias from end to end.
- Tear the basil & mint into ¼ then reserve.
- In a serving bowl, place 2 halves of butter lettuce on the bottom of the bowl.
- In another bowl, combine all ingredients (including chicken) except the cashews, basil & mint. Toss the ingredients with the 2 oz. charred pineapple vinaigrette.
- Place the tossed & dressed salad on top of the butter lettuce in the serving bowl. Pile high!
- Garnish with the toasted cashews, basil and mint. Serve.
For more Disney Parks recipes, check out the posts below: