'Mickey and the Magical Map' at Disneyland Resort

Get Up Close and Personal With New Character Shirts Coming to Disney Parks

posted on July 15th, 2013 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

Get Up Close and Personal With New Character Shirts Coming to Disney Parks, Featuring a Shirt for Boys With Mickey Mouse and Buzz Lightyear

One trick I have learned when taking photographs is to get close. I’ve found my up close style surprises some people when I take their portraits. I like the end result, however, as the image completely fills the frame. This could be a reason why I was excited to see new, big face character shirts that are arriving in late summer at Disney Parks. After speaking with the softlines team, I learned that these shirts follow a trend that is popular in the marketplace of using bold, in-your-face graphics.

Last Year's Walt Disney Tee for Adults at Disney Parks

Last year, we introduced a similar big face shirt using an image of Walt Disney that was designed by Disney Design Group artist Tim Whalen. Following the popularity of that design, they expanded the assortment to include shirts featuring various Disney and Pixar characters.

Get Up Close and Personal With New Characters Shirts Coming to Disney Parks, Including Four Shirts for Adults Including Goofy, Mr. Potato Head, Grumpy and a Pie-eyed Mickey Mouse

The new artwork was created by Doug Strayer, creative manager for softlines at Disney Design Group. There will be two shirts for boys featuring Mickey Mouse and Buzz Lightyear (as seen in the first image above). Doug also designed four shirts for adults including Goofy, Mr. Potato Head, Grumpy and a pie-eyed Mickey Mouse. I like the Mr. Potato Head shirt, yet I wonder if he comes with an option for angry eyes.

Look for these shirts in select locations at Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resorts in the coming months.

Filed: Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

6 Comments 1 Reply

Jason on July 15th, 2013 at 6:05 pm

This would have been awesome if there was a Mr. Toad one! A missed opportunity! Consider Toady for the new generations to know him.

Mary from KY on July 15th, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I am very glad to see some new t-shirt designs! I just hope they are not as long as the shirts have been in recent times. I also hope the fabric is more robust and not the thin stuff I keep seeing.

Katherine on July 16th, 2013 at 9:24 am

LOVE the Goofy shirt! Must have! And in contrast to Mary, I much prefer the thinner, longer shirts. Especially since I’m a local! It gets too hot here for thick fabric and a longer shirt is great for when you’re in the park and being active and do not want to worry about your shirt rising up. Excited to see these in stores later this year!

Steven Miller on July 16th, 2013 at 9:54 am

@Mary and Katherine – I spoke with the softlines team. The shirts will be printed on the Hanes beefy-tee form which are 100% pre-shrunk cotton. They will be similiar in size to other core souvenir shirts we currenty offer.

Rodolfo on July 16th, 2013 at 12:22 pm

That´s great!!!!! I´m now at Tokyo Disneyland and they have here some incredible full face characters Tshirts that are very popular here!!!!! I cant wait to see the WDW & Disneyland version!!! ºoº

Shelly on July 16th, 2013 at 1:13 pm

They are awesome…..like so many Disney shirts I wish I could own. I just wish that Disney would understand, that what they label a 2x, is a large at best in the real world. And that is usually as high as they go. I would have a whole wardrobe of Disney clothes if they would fit. I can wear a 1x or 2x anywhere else but there! :(

Emily on July 16th, 2013 at 4:56 pm

LOVE the Goofy shirt!!! So excited to see more merchandise with his happy grin :D