Disneyland Monorail

Looking for a Sign – New Vintage Signage Program Arrives at Disney Parks

posted on July 18th, 2013 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

“New

I recently spent a few days at Disneyland Resort taking pictures of signs. I loved the assignment because it wasn’t a far cry from what I like to do in my spare time (I’ve spent countless hours in search of great roadside signage from the past). At Disney Parks, there are plenty of awesome signs that advertise attractions, food and beverage locations, merchandise stops and more. A few months ago, the arts and collectibles team introduced a new art program inspired by these signs. The program has been so popular that I was never able to capture images in locations until this past week. I caught up with senior merchandiser David Whitaker to learn more.
“New

“The sign program has been wildly popular with guests,” exclaimed David. “We wanted to offer oversized replicas of Disney Parks’ signs printed on wood-like material or metal. This program takes its cue from a recent marketplace trend of reproducing vintage signage. Fortunately, we had plenty of options for us at Disney Parks. The fun part was selecting the most iconic signs for this first program.”

David worked with Walt Disney Imagineering and Disney Design Group to create these oversized replica signs. In some cases, they reproduced the sign almost exactly how it looks at Disney Parks (see my favorite – Aloha Isle Refreshments – for a great example). In the case of the sign for Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room, the art team combined elements to create the final sign.
“New

“We took the attraction sign and combined it with shields found both on the Adventureland bridge in Magic Kingdom Park in Florida and on the attraction building in Disneyland park in California,” explained David. “I thought the addition of the shields made the sign more aesthetically pleasing.”
“New

The signs are currently offered at the Art of Disney location in Downtown Disney Marketplace and Animation Gallery at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. There are also two Disney•Pixar’s “Cars“-inspired signs found at select locations in Cars Land at Disney California Adventure park. Finally, you may also find the Gaston’s Tavern sign in New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park.

David said they intend to have some of these signs offered at the Disneyland Resort at a future date. There are, however, no immediate plans to carry them via the Disney Parks online store.

Now all I need is a replica Dole Whip machine and I’m all set!

Filed: Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

Melony on July 18th, 2013 at 10:29 am

I’m confused… is the Disneyland sign not available in Disneyland?

Steven Miller on July 18th, 2013 at 11:23 am

@Melony – You are correct. It has not arrive yet at Disneyland Resort. David told me, however, that it has been quite popular at locations in Florida. I’m not surprised – the sign (including the original marquee for which it was based) is awesome! Besides, who doesn’t love Disneyland? :-)

Elizabeth on July 18th, 2013 at 10:33 am

Awesome! I was be stalking these! Steven, a close Dole Whip machine replica is a soft serve ice cream maker with Dole pineapple soft serve mix ordered off the internet. :)

Steven Miller on July 18th, 2013 at 11:24 am

@Elizabeth – Well now I’m hungry! Road trip to Disney’s Polynesian Resort perhaps for lunch. Ha!

Collen on July 18th, 2013 at 10:35 am

These are brilliant! It’s like having a little piece of park heaven right inside your home. I hope the pricing isn’t too heavy on these items. Would like to see them available to all customers. Most art pieces at Downtown Disney are out of people’s price range.

Adam on July 18th, 2013 at 10:35 am

How much are they?

Jonathan on July 18th, 2013 at 10:38 am

Oh my. My wallet can’t handle all this!!!

I got a Tiki Room sign a while ago, and when you say the program is so popular, you are right, because it was rather hard to get!!!

Are they all $150?

Do you have sku’s for the Big Thunder Mt/Frontierland/Tom Sawyer Island and the Greetings from Radiator Springs??

Steven Miller on July 18th, 2013 at 11:31 am

@Collen, Adam & Johnathan – Most of the signs are $150 (plus tax). The Gaston’s Tavern sign is $65 (plus tax). Please note that all retails are subject to change without notice.

As for item numbers, here you go!

Aloha Isle Refreshments – 400007547001
Disneyland – 400007547018
Frontierland – 400007546998
Gaston’s Tavern – 400007704985
Radiator Springs – 400007328921
Rust-Eze – 400007329409
Toluca Legs Turkey Company – 400007547032
Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room – 40007547025

Gregory on July 18th, 2013 at 11:00 am

Yeah, as #1 pointed out – where but Disneyland would you sell a Disneyland sign?

Gregory on July 18th, 2013 at 11:16 am

Also, Disney California Adventure park is part of the Disneyland Resort, so the last two paragraphs conflict.

Steven Miller on July 18th, 2013 at 12:26 pm

@Gregory – As it turns out, the Disneyland sign is actually one of the most popular (along with Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room and Aloha Isle Refreshments). The collectibles team has been placing reorders rather frequently since the signs were first introduced. As mentioned, their plan is to eventually carry additional select signs at Disneyland Resort (like the Disneyland marquee).

The Cars Land signs are only being sold in California at this point, so I’m unsure what you mean by the paragraphs conflicting. I included those signs in this article as they are a part of the bigger program. I apologize for any confusion.

I’ve learned that we periodically like to test new concepts or items in one location first. If successful, the test items are then introduced to additional locations. A great recent example would be the Start Wars – Droid Factory. It was first introduced at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida. After it proved to be extremely popular with Guests (and after space was located in California), it was added to The Star Trader at Disneyland Park. It was also added to Once Upon a Toy at Downtown Disney Marketplace. I hope this insight is helpful.

mike on July 18th, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Why in the world aren’t they available at Disneyland???? that is very odd and disappointing.

Steven Miller on July 18th, 2013 at 12:34 pm

@Mike – I’m sorry for your disappointment. I invite you to read my response to Gregory (#7) above. This may give you some additional insight.

If you are still interested (and would like to place an order sooner than later), please contact our Merchandise Guest Services team and reference the item numbers listed above. You can either call them at 877-560-6477 or send email to Merchandise.Guest.Services@DisneyParks.com

Jonathan on July 18th, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I want to also tell you Steven I was impressed with the size of the signs (I can at least speak for the Tiki Room one!).

It was wonderful to see it was made in the USA as well!!! Do you know if all of them are?

Scott on July 18th, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Ate their any plans to make wdw signs?

Raemi on July 18th, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Can you give me more info about the castle in the second picture? How much is it and where can I find one? It’s beautiful!

Steven Miller on July 23rd, 2013 at 11:56 am

@Raemi – The Castle you see in the second photo is a limited edition mosaic piece. There is also a version of Sleeping Beauty Castle that was opposite Cinderella Castle (I didn’t photograph it). Here are the item numbers and retail. Each Castle has an edition size of 50.

Cinderella Castle
Retail: $3000.00 (plus tax)

Sleeping Beauty Castle
Retail: $3000.00 (plus tax)

James on July 18th, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Oh man. First the pile of Haunted mansion items and now this. Good thing I’m driving to Disney in a few weeks and not flying!

Jackie on July 18th, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Where would the “All Aboard! Walt Disney World Railroad” sign be able to be purchased? Do you have the sku for it? Thanks!

Steven Miller on July 23rd, 2013 at 12:00 pm

@Jackie – The Railroad sign was designed by Jeff Granito. The item number is 400004392598 and retail is $150.00 (plus tax).

Michael on July 18th, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I absolutely LOVE the Tiki Room sign! A must-have!!!!

Jacqueline on July 18th, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Hello Steven,

Thank you for sharing this very exciting post, and just before our summer vacation to Walt Disney World. I’m always looking for unique yet inspirational works of art.
I believe I’m ready to buy a few and begin my collection.
Fabulous idea!

Best regards,
Jacqueline

Steven Miller on July 22nd, 2013 at 2:42 pm

@Jacqueline – You’re welcome! I’m glad you liked the article. I was pretty jazzed to see them in concept form last year. I figured there may be a few other folks like me who loved the idea!

Kate on July 19th, 2013 at 7:22 am

Bummer!!! I have a Disney Bar at home & some of these would be PERFECT for it! I won’t be @ WDW until next winter unfortunately… Too bad they won’t be offered online.

Julie on July 19th, 2013 at 11:55 am

I agree with Raemi! Can you post the SKU and price of the castle? Pretty please??!! :)

Steven Miller on July 23rd, 2013 at 12:01 pm

@Julie – Here you go. Please note each moasaic Castle has an edition size of 50.

Cinderella Castle
Retail: $3000.00 (plus tax)

Sleeping Beauty Castle
Retail: $3000.00 (plus tax)

Michelle on July 19th, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Would love to see a sign for the best ride on Disney property–Tower of Terror!!

Erin from AZ on July 20th, 2013 at 2:16 am

Love the Aloha Isle sign! We have our entire living room themed to the Tiki Room yet I’m drawn to that Dole Whip sign. The weathered corrugated steel is just so cool. Any chance you could tell us the dimensions? We won’t be at WDW again till October and I’m not sure we can wait that long to own it. :)

Steven Miller on July 22nd, 2013 at 2:43 pm

@Erin – An Enchanted Tiki Room living room?!?! WOW!! The collectibles team said the sign measures approximately 30” wide and 24” tall.

Kyna from CA on July 23rd, 2013 at 3:31 am

@Raemi The mosaic castle was debuted as part of the “Disney Crowning Achievements” feature in the Disney Gallery last spring. If memory serves they were around $2,500 or $3,000? At Disneyland you could find it on Main Street in the Disney Gallery – which is now Disneyana.

Tyler on July 23rd, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Steven- Would you by chance know the dimensions of the Disneyland sign? And are there any plans for a second series of signs in the works? Thank you in advance!

Steven Miller on July 23rd, 2013 at 3:30 pm

@Tyler – The Disneyland sign measures 36″ wide by 10″ tall. At this point, they are focused on this first collection. Yet there could be additional signs in the future.

Tyler on July 23rd, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Thank you! Great to know! They look awesome and hope to see this program live on. Would love to someday see a ” Notice! To all ghosts and restless spirits” sign that was out front of the Haunted Mansion prior to its opening day. I’m a sucker for the vintage stuff and anything Haunted Mansion :)

Michelle on July 24th, 2013 at 9:19 am

I wish they would offer a replica of the Splash Mtn sign “You May Get Wet” with Brer Rabbit. I have wanted one for years to display at my pool.

Joanne on July 24th, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Thank-you for making merchandise we have always wanted. ‘Can’t afford them all, but they’re truly outstanding!

Wilma Kathleen from TX on July 25th, 2013 at 8:36 am

Is there any way to get these if you aren’t at the parks? We aren’t coming until November.

Traci on July 30th, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Would you be able to find out the dimensions for the Thunder Mountain sign. I didn’t see it mentioned in the earlier postings. Thank you so much.

Jamie on July 31st, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Awe, I wish they werent so big and expensive. Id love a smaller sized Aloha Isle sign that I could hang on a wall or place on a shelf. :(

John on July 31st, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Hey Steven!

The signs look AWESOME!!! I will be down there next week and would love to pick one up! Are they all LE ? And do you know how many of them they are making? I can see the Castle is 50 LE but do you know any of the other edition sizes on them?
Thanks a bunch!

Robert on August 19th, 2013 at 8:15 am

Our game room already was themed for The Enchanted Tiki Room so the sign was a great addition! We picked it up yesterday at Downtown Disney, along with Jose and two great Tiki statues.

Dan on August 30th, 2013 at 11:08 am

Are they available at World of Disney in Downtown Disney?

Mitch on September 25th, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I’m really having trouble finding some of these signs! I won’t be in the parks until December..is there anywhere I can locate them? I’m looking specifically for Disneyland Railroad, and Big Thunder signs.