Hyperion Theater at Disney California Adventure Park

Wish You Were Here – Postcards from Disney Parks

posted on July 12th, 2013 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

Wish You Were Here – Postcards from Disney Parks

There are a few Disney things I like to collect – anything from EPCOT Center circa 1982-85, items inspired by Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room and postcards from Disney Parks.

Wish You Were Here – Postcards from Disney Parks

After rummaging through many postcards at antique shops over the years, I’ve acquired a small collection of cards mostly from Walt Disney World Resort in the 1970s and early 1980s. I’m drawn to postcards mostly because they remind me of a time before all-things digital (there was a time when I actually used to print photographs). I like how the images, along with the occasional handwritten greetings, capture fun moments and memories in time.

Wish You Were Here – Postcards from Disney Parks

The nice part is that Disney Parks still carry a small selection of postcards. I recently found some at the World of Disney in Downtown Disney Marketplace in Florida, and on Main Street U.S.A., at Disneyland park.

Wish You Were Here – Postcards from Disney Parks

I think my favorite new postcards, however, are the retro-looking cards I spotted at Radiator Springs Curios in Cars Land at Disney California Adventure park. They look like they have been sold in the shop for decades (I love that kind of detail on merchandise!).

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Disney California Adventure Park, Disneyland Resort, Downtown Disney, Walt Disney World Resort

Heather on July 12th, 2013 at 10:19 am

I would love to see more photos of your old postcards! Sounds like a fun collection!

Bob on July 12th, 2013 at 10:21 am

I miss handwritten letters, postcards, and printing pictures, especially those from vacations. The time before all-things digital was simpler. Thanks for sharing these, Steven! :)

Bob from NC

Steven Miller on July 15th, 2013 at 11:48 am

@Bob – Agreed! I love the digital age yet a handwritten note goes such a long way.

Michelle on July 12th, 2013 at 11:19 am

I still collect post cards and I have hundreds at home! I have lots from my visits to Disneyland when I was younger in the 80s, and several antique post cards. I would love to see a story all about post cards, either old Disney ones or antique post cards showing the sights in Orange County or Florida before there was Disney. Or maybe post cards from Disney films or cartoons? Did those exist? Thanks for the post, and I too love the retro Cars Land ones!

Steven Miller on July 15th, 2013 at 11:51 am

@Michelle – I’ll have to think about such a story as I have a finite amount of postcards in my collection. I do enjoy looking at vintage postcards to see how things have changed.

A great reference book for Disneyland postcards is “Disneyland: The Nickel Tour” by Bruce Gordon and Dave Mumford. It’s out of print now, but is an amazing resource about postcards throughout the years.

Jackie on July 12th, 2013 at 11:35 am

Absolutely share your love of postcards! I’m involved with an international postcard swap and those Disney parks cards are always well received. I make sure I stock up on trips up to Orlando!

Daniel on July 12th, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I love postcards as well! I have a photo album full of them! Such a cool and inexpensive souvenir.

Debra from NJ on July 12th, 2013 at 4:41 pm

I’ve always loved collecting postcards. The vintage looking ones are beautiful. Every trip I take some time to check out the postcards and floaty pens.
I’m so happy to see new postcards are coming to the park shops!!

Leesa from TN on July 12th, 2013 at 8:30 pm

I, too, collect Disney postcards and would LOVE to see more in the parks, especially those that are lenticular. Looking forward to going to Disneyland for the first time this December and hope to see lots of great cards to purchase. I also love the ones that are found in the Art of Disney Store at WDW.

Shawn on July 13th, 2013 at 12:11 am

Wonderful! I always send out postcards during my vacations. And I usually buy a few to keep for myself. I just found a stash of DL postcards from the early 80′s. Love the older images!

I was (and am) happy to see Disney still offers these in the digital age!

Polly on July 13th, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Wondering if the release/sell date for the new Disney Vera Bradley products has been announced.

Steven Miller on July 15th, 2013 at 11:53 am

@Polly – Stay tuned! We are still finalizing details for the launch. It is looking like closer to mid-September.

Todd on July 14th, 2013 at 12:48 am

Thanks for the post! I too am glad to see that there are some new postcards being produced and sold at the parks. Do I wish there were more…well, yeah! But, times have changed. If you look online, there is a dedicated fan base that actively collects disney postcards. So, the cards may be mostly gone from the parks…but they are not forgotten!

Steven Miller on July 15th, 2013 at 11:54 am

@Todd – Glad to hear from another fan of Disney postcards! Thanks for the comment.

Dorian on July 14th, 2013 at 7:20 pm

I have a collection of Disney postcards and memorabilia from the 60′s and 70′s…my first trip to Disneyland was in 1960 for my 5th birthday when my Papa (Grandpa) took me…I was hooked on Disney ever since and have saved my postcards, photos and mini figurines for more than 50 years!

Steven Miller on July 15th, 2013 at 11:55 am

@Dorian – How awesome! It sounds like you have some great memories. I wish I had a time machine to visit Disneyland in the 1960s!

Chris on July 16th, 2013 at 11:32 am

Thanks for the great post. Of all my family and friends, I’m one of the few who still send postcards from every trip I go on. Sadly postcards have slipped out of popularity in recent years making them harder to find…even in Disneyland.

I remember back in the day you could find postcards for sale in at least a few stores and kiosks in every land of the park. Not only could you find them all over, but there was tons of variety. On my trip last spring I could only find them in the Emporium and one or two other shops. And even then there were only a handful of designs available. I’m really sad to see the decline of this lovely keepsake. I’ll continue to purchase them as long as they’re available. I guess on the “plus” side, as a collector, it’s now easier to get EVERY available postcard in a single trip. ;)

Steven Miller on July 19th, 2013 at 1:28 pm

@Chris – “I guess on the “plus” side, as a collector, it’s now easier to get EVERY available postcard in a single trip.” I love your outlook on that :-) Glad to meet a fellow postcard fan!

Kim on July 16th, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I love postcards. I often send postcards home to myself when I go on vacation to remember a special event. Makes a great souvenir!

Ted from IL on July 16th, 2013 at 7:08 pm

It’s also fun to see some older postcards at some of the gift shops off property and you can tell that some of the images they use are one’s from the 80′s..Now those are pretty cool..

Lisa from CA on July 17th, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Too funny. I just framed five Disney postcards and two of them are in the picture. Epcot and Electrical Parade. Thanks for the great post!

Steven Miller on July 19th, 2013 at 1:29 pm

@Lisa – Ha! How awesome! Those are some of my favorites so I made sure to include them in the image. Sounds like you have a nice framed image as well.