Halloween at Walt Disney World Resort

Choose Your Side with New ‘Cover Your Ears’ as Part of ‘Limited Time Magic’ at Disney Parks

posted on August 2nd, 2013 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

Choose Your Side with New ‘Cover Your Ears’ as Part of 'Limited Time Magic' at Disney Parks

I think nearly everyone has a favorite Disney hero and villain. Donald Duck is my favorite hero while Hades from Disney’s ‘Hercules’ my favorite animated villain (not surprisingly, Tron and the Master Control Program represent my favorite Disney film characters). This week as part of our continued Year of the Ear celebration, we are introducing a new hero and villain-themed Cover Your Ears base for “Limited Time Magic.” This reversible wrap was designed by long-time Disney Design Group artist Mark Seppala. I spoke with Mark about the creation of this new character-infused item.

“A few years ago my fellow artist Brian Blackmore and I worked on a project that featured heroes and villains,” explained Mark. “I pulled character elements from that project for this hat as I thought it would be a neat concept. I’m happy with the final version as the colors and printing really pop! I’m partial to the villain side and included as many characters as I possibly could. There are approximately 34 villains and 61 heroes represented on this base. Now that’s a hat with a lot of character [laughs].”

You may recall we first introduced Cover Your Ears during the 30th Anniversary of Epcot celebration last fall (one was also featured for the opening of New Fantasyland). This wrap slips right over your everyday Mickey Mouse black ear hat. The image above shows the front and back of the reversible base.

Look for this item in Fantasyland Mad Hatter at the Disneyland park at the Disneyland Resort and Chapeau Hat Shoppe in Magic Kingdom Park at the Walt Disney World Resort. Please note that a limited number of the reversible covers will be available, while supplies last.

Who is your favorite Disney hero or villain? Please share in the comments below.

Tagged: , , , ,

Filed: Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Carrie from WA on August 2nd, 2013 at 12:30 pm

These are amazing! I’ve been wondering why these weren’t introduced years ago! I can’t wait to get the villains wrap for my daughter… It would be great to have different wraps for different seasons of the year to commemorate “it’s my birthday”, or anniversay or Christmas…. the possibilities are endless. Soooooo fun!

Barbara from MI on August 2nd, 2013 at 12:36 pm

I’d definitely want the villain one.

Steven Miller on August 2nd, 2013 at 1:23 pm

@Barbara – The nice part is that you get both as this Cover Your Ears base is reversible. :-)

Katherine on August 2nd, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Steven, are these in the parks now? This is a must-have for me!! Hercules is my favorite hero (and movie) and villian would probably have to be Scar! Or maybe Mad Madame Mim.

Steven Miller on August 2nd, 2013 at 1:25 pm

@Katherine – From my understanding, yes, they are in locations. The item number is 400007693982 just in case you need it. Thanks for sharing your favorite characters!

Danielle on August 2nd, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Hi Steven! I love this idea of a reversible base for the ears… it’s about time this happened (: Do you know how the base will retail for? Thank you!

Steven Miller on August 2nd, 2013 at 2:11 pm

@Danielle – The retail for this item is $12.95 plus tax. Please note that all retails are subject to change without notice.

Andrea on August 2nd, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Steven I know this question does not quite pertain to your current article here, but do you have a release date for Main Street Electrical Parade Ear Hats? In a previous article(06/12/13) you stated sometime in August. I’m going to Disneyland Aug 7-12 and really hope they will be available! Can’t wait to get a set!!!

Thanks,
Andrea

Steven Miller on August 3rd, 2013 at 6:00 pm

@Andrea – I’m glad to hear you are excited for the set (as seen here – http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/06/electrifying-ear-hat-ornament-set-coming-to-disney-parks-in-august/). I have asked the seasonal team for an update on the in warehouse / release date. Please stay tuned. I also hope you have a great trip to Disneyland. Have a Dole Whip for me!

Great news. The ornament set is now at Disneyland Resort. It appears World of Disney at Downtown Disney District currently has it (with possible additional locations to follow). For Walt Disney World Resort, the ornament set is due to arrive toward mid- to-late August. The online store won’t be carrying it until at least October / November.

Brianna on August 2nd, 2013 at 9:20 pm

I will be going to disneyland on the 10th will they still be available then? When are they coming out?

Steven Miller on August 3rd, 2013 at 6:01 pm

@Brianna – They should be in the locations listed above now. It’s difficult to say if they will be available on August 10 as it will depend upon popularity. Have a fun trip!

Kevin on August 2nd, 2013 at 11:50 pm

There so cool, what an arrange of characters some i never see :) My favorite Hero is donald and villain has to be the hyenas from lion king!!!

Steven Miller on August 3rd, 2013 at 6:02 pm

@Kevin – Thanks for sharing your favorite characters. “Mufasa!” [shutters] :-)

Rochelle on August 3rd, 2013 at 12:12 am

Please tell me this is available through Disney Merchandise! I’m taking one of my HF autistic daughters next spring for her second ever visit. She LOVES villains! After all how can a hero be a hero without there first being a villain?

Janice from WA on August 3rd, 2013 at 12:34 am

Can these be ordered over the phone? They’d be perfect for my january trip to WDW.

Steven Miller on August 3rd, 2013 at 6:08 pm

@Rochelle and Janice – You may try contacting Merchandise Guest Services but they may not have access to this item at the time of your inquiry. You have two ways to contact them: by telephone at 877-560-6477 or by email at Merchandise.Guest.Services@DisneyParks.com. Please reference the following item number – 400007693982.

Tanya on August 3rd, 2013 at 12:34 am

Andrea, are those hats supposedly for the glow with the show? I don’t like spreading rumors so let me state that a rumor is what my question is based on, so I’d also like some facts! Thank you, and you too, Steven!

Steven Miller on August 3rd, 2013 at 6:09 pm

@Tanya – Andrea was actually referencing this ear hat ornament set shown in this article from June 12, 2013 – http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/06/electrifying-ear-hat-ornament-set-coming-to-disney-parks-in-august/

Jose from CA on August 3rd, 2013 at 1:38 am

When did Indian Chief from Peter Pan and the Mad Hatter / March Hare become villains?

Susan from CA on August 4th, 2013 at 2:04 am

Is that price before the AP discount? Can I use the 20% off coupon found on QS receipts?

Salina from VA on August 5th, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Thx Steven :) I just placed my order over the phone today- can’t wait for them to get here! Favorite Hero: Donald Duck & Favorite Villain: Maleficeent

Jindy from CA on August 9th, 2013 at 1:35 am

I want the villain hat! #CheshireCatFan

Janice from WA on August 14th, 2013 at 3:34 am

Got mine ordered. Should arrive soon. I’m so excited!

Jean from CA on August 14th, 2013 at 6:48 pm

I just bought one today. Even cuter in person, and such an awesome array of villains.