Show Disney.com Hide Disney.com
Holiday Art for the Grand Emporium at Tokyo Disneyland

Encounter Thor from ‘Thor: The Dark World’ This Fall at Disneyland Park

posted on August 20th, 2013 by Shawn Slater, Communications Manager, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Creative Entertainment

In celebration of “Thor: The Dark World” coming to theaters November 8, guests at Disneyland park will be able to visit Asgard this fall and come face-to-face with the Mighty Avenger, Thor.

Encounter Thor from ‘Thor: The Dark World’ This Fall at Disneyland Park

This summer at Disneyland park, Iron Man Tech Presented by Stark Industries has given us a close-up look at Tony Stark’s Hall of Armor and an opportunity to virtually “suit up” in the Mark 42 armor featured in the blockbuster film, “Iron Man 3.” And we’ve recently learned Captain America will be appearing at Avengers Academy on the reimagined Disney Magic. Soon, we’ll have a chance to meet yet another super hero.

Be sure to check back here on the Disney Parks Blog next month, as we share more details about how you’ll be able to visit with Thor at Disneyland park.

Filed: Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

Maria on August 20th, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Would it be too much to ask if I request Loki ^_^ meeting him with the villains at Halloween would be awesome ^_^

Shawn Slater on August 20th, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Maria – Meeting Loki would be pretty awesome (it was certainly cool to see Tom Hiddleston make an appearance at the D23 Expo)! I’m afraid there are no plans at this time, though, to bring Loki to the park.

John on August 20th, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Just curious if this would be available to those who attend “Mickey’s Halloween Party” (which I’m sure others would like to know).

Shawn Slater on August 20th, 2013 at 3:08 pm

John – We’re not quite ready to share an opening date for this experience, but keep checking back here on the blog. As soon as we have more information, we’ll be sure to pass it along!

Melanie on August 20th, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Are there any plans for Thor, Iron Man or any other Avengers-related stuff to come to Walt Disney World in Orlando?

Shawn Slater on August 20th, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Melanie – At this time, none of these characters will be making appearances at the Walt Disney World Resort.

Carlos on August 20th, 2013 at 2:28 pm

I am so jealous that this isn’t coming to Orlando!

Fred from CA on August 20th, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Very cool!!

I’m looking forward to more info. :)

Vanessa from CA on August 20th, 2013 at 3:08 pm

OMG! When is Asgard expected to appear at Disneyland this fall?

Shawn Slater on August 20th, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Vanessa – We’ll share more details as soon as we have them. Stay tuned!

Francine from UT on August 20th, 2013 at 3:20 pm

You just made my daughter tear up a little bit. LOL! We may have to plan a trip this fall!

Michael on August 20th, 2013 at 5:00 pm

I hope there is hammer that you get to try and pick up just like the sword in the stone. Too bad I will not be able to make it down for this.

Shawn Slater on August 21st, 2013 at 9:03 am

Michael – Who other than Thor could possibly be deemed worthy to wield the mighty Mjolnir?

Michael on August 20th, 2013 at 6:15 pm

@Melania Unfortunately, due to Marvel’s previous contracts with another Orlando theme park, Bob Iger himself has stated that the Marvel theme park rights to the east of the Mississippi lie with the other park and can’t be used by the Walt Disney World Resort.

James on August 20th, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Now if we can only convince him to seek out juice boxes like the one Isabella gave him in Danville…

Shawn Slater on August 21st, 2013 at 8:58 am

James – That cracks me up! I watched “Phineas and Ferb: Mission Marvel” with my boys Friday night and was laughing the whole time! Such a great crossover episode.

Dustin on August 20th, 2013 at 7:16 pm

This looks like a movie that could be really epic in scope. Very interesting…..

Noah on August 20th, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Disney really needs to find a way to to regain the rights to the Marvel characters from Universal Orlando. A Marvel Studios themed area would be a perfect in at the Disney Hollywood Studios.

Thomas from TX on August 20th, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Will this be limited time magic? Or will I have a chance to meet Thor (and possibly some of the other Avengers) a little further in the future(Planning on stopping by Disneyland in April 2015 when I go to Anaheim for Star Wars Celebration)?

Shawn Slater on August 21st, 2013 at 9:39 am

Thomas – The arrival of Thor is not tied to the current Limited Time Magic campaign. That said, we are always evaluating and changing the entertainment at Disney Parks to keep the guest experience fresh, so it’s difficult to say what character appearances or shows might be presented in 2015. You’ll want to check back with Disneyland.com and Disney Parks Blog closer to your visit.

Loren from CA on August 20th, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Yes! Yes! Yes! I cannot wait!

That is all.

Augusto on August 20th, 2013 at 10:20 pm

It’s really unfortunate that we can’t see any of the Marvel heroes at Disney World … hope Disney can find a way to fix that issue sometime in the future …

Caren on August 21st, 2013 at 3:25 am

Please please please let thor be there sep 4-8!!!!!!

Edward on August 21st, 2013 at 4:14 pm

My wife’s service dog is a Norwegian Elkhound. I hope that we can get a picture of him with Thor when we’re there Oct 4-7.

Emily on August 21st, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Thor will be there as in Chris Hemsworth??

Fred from CA on August 22nd, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Emily–It will be Thor the character as a meet and greet, and not actually Chris Hemsworth.

Emily on August 24th, 2013 at 1:31 pm

@Fred Oh okay. Would still be awesome to go during this time! Thank you for the information. :)

Patricia on August 26th, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Okay, I hope I don’t sound dumb asking this but I am confused: when they say meeting Thor do they mean the actor Chris Hemsworth (I think that is his name)…or is a face character? I know it might be odd to have a big Hollywood actor there. But I am excited if they would have Chris Hemsworth for real!

Fred from CA on August 26th, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Patrica– It will most likely be Thor the character, and not Chris Hemsworth.

Fred from CA on August 26th, 2013 at 4:37 pm

…Sorry, I meant “Patricia”. I apologize for the misspelling of your name. :)

Patricia on August 26th, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Hey Fred — Thanks for answering! And it’s okay about the spelling. You should see how I spell on my phone it is ridiculous! I love that they are bringing a Marvel character into the parks for the first time. This is pretty historic. I might have to plan a special trip out to Disneyland to check this out with my son who just loves everything Thor.

kate on August 28th, 2013 at 12:50 am

My son will be thrilled! Our family LOVES all the princesses and classic Disney characters but my son is all about super heros! He is very excited about Thor (as is my husband ;-)) – I hope we can come and meet him!