Spaceship Earth at Epcot

Every Role a Starring Role – Disneyland Band Conductor Art Dragon

posted on August 22nd, 2013 by Kevin Rafferty, Jr., Communications Specialist, Disneyland Resort

Earlier this year, I told you about the 30th anniversary of the music education concerts that the Disneyland Band performs annually for Orange County second-graders.

Throughout that time, Disneyland Resort cast member Art Dragon has been a member of the Disneyland Band, serving as conductor the past two decades. In this “Every Role a Starring Role,” Art talks about his role conducting 15 talented musicians who perform more than 1,000 concerts at the Disneyland Resort every year!

Filed: Cast Member Profiles, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

Jon on August 22nd, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Not only is this guy good at his job, but he has the coolest name ever.

Kathi on August 22nd, 2013 at 7:17 pm

While I was a Music Ed Major at Fresno State, my husband and I were with our children at Disneyland. I was so excited to see the Disneyland Band, I ask Art for a picture and he was more than happy to accommodate me. He saw I was wearing my Fresno State Marching Band T-shirt, and turned the baton over to me. I was so excited and scared all at the same time. I actually conducted the band in front of Sleeping Beauty’s castle. It was MAGICAL!!!!!! I even have a picture of me conducting. Thank you Art Dragon for giving me an opportunity in my life that I will NEVER forget (and the band clapped for me after they were done playing and told me I did a great job!)

Michael from CA on August 22nd, 2013 at 10:16 pm

We love the Disneyland Band. We always make a point of attending their noon concert in Town Square. My wife is like a Disneyland Band groupie. She has been chosen to be the leading lady guest announcer seven times. If she isn’t chosen to be the announcer we dance along with the band!!!

Hillary on August 22nd, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Mr. Dragon is a musical star and a true gentleman. We have enjoyed many hours of his fine performances. Thank you for recognizing his stellar qualities.

mike on August 24th, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Kevin,

Our family has been coming to the Park for 43 years and have the pleasure of getting to know many of the long time cast members (new ones too). We’re proud that Art Dragon is among these “cast member friends”!

Art is a genuine Disneyland Ambassador and always has time for a friendly word for guests at the Park. He has been especially kind to us over the years and we value his friendship very much. The Band is an enduring part of the Disneyland fabric and we thank all those talented musicians that make the music.

Among their other duties Art and the Band often perform at Flag Retreat; a long time tradition which we enjoy tremendously!

You can also catch Art playing a variety of instruments in ensemble groups around the Park…..he plays a pretty “mean” trombone!!

Arizona Mike

Stacey on August 25th, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I LOVE reading about the cast members, the blogs are always very entertaining and it gives us a closer connection to them. I wanted to ask if maybe you can do a story about someone in the entertainment department. Maybe one of the dancers in the parades or someone in the new show at the Fantasyland theater. I love the parades and shows and would love to see some of the behind the scenes. Thank you and can’t wait read more of your blogs :)

Patricia on August 29th, 2013 at 8:41 pm

I first saw Art doing a little “show” with Mickey and Minnie dancing, and then a couple of guests joining in the fun. He is amazing, his voice it truly one of the “Voices of the Parks”. He appeared at D23 Expo, I was excited to see him on the big Arena stage. LOVE him and always look for him at DL.