“I love trying something different, and sharing discoveries with a team,” says Chef Mark. In his first two months at Disney’s PCH Grill he’s not reinventing the menu, but he’s added a new favorite: the PCH Mesa Burger – a 1/3-pound Angus burger topped with Pepper Jack cheese, roasted Anaheim chili, barbecue sauce and an onion ring, served on a hefty pretzel roll.
The California native says he’s also hoping to add more seasonal dishes to the menu, and describes his culinary style as “melting pot.” He loves the idea of taking a childhood favorite and serving it with a modern twist “to trigger great childhood memories.”
Watch for new dishes on the PCH menu as Chef Mark settles in. Meantime, we asked him five fun questions:
- What are some of your favorite dishes to prepare? Simple Filipino dishes such as chicken adobo. And tacos, with everything made from scratch, from the taco shells to the beef to the salsa. Also anything sautéed; I just love the action of using a sauté pan.
- Favorite spice? Toss-up between cumin and paprika.
- You run a restaurant, but what do you cook for your family? Meatloaf with garlic mashed potatoes.
- If you weren’t a chef, what would you be and why? A doctor. My mom was a doctor; I would like to have followed in her footsteps.
- Your secret culinary indulgence? Bacon is good with anything!