Spaceship Earth at Epcot

Take 5: Vintage Walt Disney World

posted on August 31st, 2013 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

Disney’s Grand Floridian Is Topped Off

Last week, we traveled back in time to the construction of Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa. As you can see, a lot has happened at Walt Disney World Resort over the years to make it what it is today. Let’s take a look at some more Vintage Walt Disney World memories. You might even remember some from growing up with Disney!

Take 5: Vintage Walt Disney World

1. Vintage Walt Disney World: America Goes on Parade – Back in 1975, America on Parade took place at Magic Kingdom Park. This parade featured larger-than-life sized characters representing American achievements that took place in our first 200 years as a nation.
  2. Vintage Walt Disney World: An ‘A’ Attraction or an ‘E’? – Take a look at how attractions at Magic Kingdom Park used to be categorized and how different tickets were used for each one.
  3. Vintage Walt Disney World: Growing Character at Epcot – See how the infamous topiaries at Walt Disney World Resort have changed over the years!
  4. Vintage Walt Disney World: Building an Animal Kingdom – See how far Disney’s Animal Kingdom has come since opening its doors in 1989.
  5. Vintage Walt Disney World: Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort Opens Its Doors – See the construction process of Disney’s Coronado Spring Resort and how the iconic Dig Site was created!

Filed: Disney History, Walt Disney World Resort

Douglas on August 31st, 2013 at 11:07 am

On point #4.. AK opened in 1998, not 1989 :)

Robert on August 31st, 2013 at 11:47 am

Vintage Walt Disney World: If You Had Wings – Just a couple of weeks ago my friend and I were exiting off Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin. We started to reminisce of old attractions at the same location. If You Had Wings sponsored by Eastern Air Lines, Delta Dreamflight and Disney’s Take Flight. Brought back a lot of memories and history of Tomorrowland.

David on August 31st, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Animal Kingdom opened in 1998.

Timothy from FL on September 2nd, 2013 at 9:43 am

I have a commemorative watch in a wood box from the Grand Floridian Hotel. I remember thinking what a departure it was from the other hotels on the monorail loop…. Beautiful re-creation of an earlier elegant era.
I have several partial ticket books from Disney World including Magic Key books who’s tickets were good for any A thru E attraction.I have enjoyed Epcot and Animal Kingdom many times since they opened, although I have a bit of nostalgic feeling for Horizon, Walter Conkite’s commentary on Spaceship Earth (current voice reminds me of my teachers), and the original Imagination attraction.
The one thing I haven’t seen is the Coranado hotel although I have heard it is very nice.

Timothy from FL on September 2nd, 2013 at 9:44 am

Sorry, misspelled Coronado…

Anthony on September 3rd, 2013 at 10:41 am

I really enjoyed the construction photos. Those are always my favorites. Thanks for sharing!