Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln at Disneyland Park

Vintage Walt Disney World: Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort Opens Its Doors

posted on August 1st, 2013 by Nate Rasmussen, Archivist, Marketing Resource Center

Today, back in 1997, Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort opened at Walt Disney World Resort. Inspired by the grand haciendas and elegant mission cities of the Spanish Colonial era in Latin America, this Disney Resort hotel has over 1,900 guest rooms and is home to one of the coolest pools on property – the Dig Site. Here’s a look at the Dig Site still under construction in an undated photograph.
The Dig Site Pool at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort During its Construction

Home to the 46-foot Mayan pyramid with water cascading down its ceremonial stone steps, this pool area represents the imaginary discovery of a lost Mayan kingdom during a present-day archaeological dig.
The Dig Site Pool at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort

The Dig Site also boasts one of the largest outdoor hot tubs at Walt Disney World Resort, with enough room for 22 guests – making it a great spot to relax after spending a day in the parks.

Check out more posts from the “Vintage Walt Disney World” series below:

Tagged:

Filed: Disney History, Hotels & Resorts, Walt Disney World Resort

Steven on August 1st, 2013 at 10:11 am

Very cool, my soon to be wife and I are staying there on our honeymoon in September. We stayed there on our trip two years ago and fell in love with the resort. The hotel is well worth the price, I can remember how helpful the staff was and comfortable the rooms are.

Kimberly on August 1st, 2013 at 10:23 am

We usually stay at the Value Resorts, but one year we splurged and stayed here. I fell in love with the resort. Such a wonderful atmosphere!

Nicola on August 1st, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I’ll be staying here for the first time in 19 days time :)Looks amazing!

Jim from NY on August 1st, 2013 at 2:02 pm

My favorite moderate resort. This resort holds some great memories for us. We’ve stayed here many times. Love walking around the lake early morning. Just beautiful.

Jennifer on August 2nd, 2013 at 11:33 am

Love this resort! My mother and I were among the guests on opening day. Such a wonderful experience! We still have our commemorative pins proudly displayed…

Michael on August 2nd, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Nate,

Nice pictures! The bottom one is inverse though of the top perspective though. :) Took me a minute to figure out what was going on. The bottom picture would only be true in a world reversed!

Salvatore from FL on August 9th, 2013 at 1:10 am

I stayed here in 2004. Great atmosphere, the Dig Site pool and slide was great, the Pepper Market food was excellent! A very enjoyable stay. I’ve stayed at all the Moderate Resorts over the years and have had an very enjoyable stay at all of them! But because of the food, the Coronado ranks as the best!