Halloween at the Walt Disney World Resort

Walt Disney and the Disney Characters at Disneyland Park

posted on August 13th, 2013 by George Savvas, Public Relations Director, Disneyland Resort

Continuing our look at rare photos of Walt Disney with the Disney characters at Disneyland park, today’s picture appears to be a “behind the scenes” outtake of Walt taken during a 1965 photo shoot at Sleeping Beauty Castle.
Walt Disney at Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland Park in 1965

This picture is so fun and colorful, it’s hard to believe it was taken nearly a half century ago.

Check back soon for more photography of Walt and the Disney characters!

Filed: Disney History, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

Joe on August 13th, 2013 at 4:40 pm

I love Walt…so wish I could go back in time and meet him.

Michael on August 13th, 2013 at 6:22 pm

I never knew the Mad Hatter was a costumed character before, when did he become a face character?

Eric from MA on August 13th, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Michael – Many characters got upgrades during the big push for entertainment in the late 80′s/early 90′s, so it would’ve been recently. (He’s much better as a “live” character.)
Think there was also a suit character of the March Hare in Walt’s day, but he hasn’t been seen since, and the Walrus and the Carpenter were banished to the parades.

Jennie from CA on August 13th, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Absolutely fantastic. I can’t wait to see more of these photos of Walt. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Ryan on August 13th, 2013 at 11:09 pm

and look how LARGE the pig is compared to today’s standard costume!

Fred from CA on August 14th, 2013 at 12:47 am

Michael– I believe that The Mad Hatter became a face character in the early/mid ’90s.

This is a great photo. I love seeing rare photos of Walt in Disneyland. Especially in color!

Brittney from AL on August 14th, 2013 at 10:43 am

Love the vintage photos, and Walt in the picture is priceless

Dustin on August 15th, 2013 at 7:53 pm

They all seem to be looking downward, I wonder at what?

Michael from NC on August 16th, 2013 at 1:49 am

A picture from this session was used as the cover for the very first issue of Disney News way back when.

Also note the color scheme of the castle in Walt’s time – so different from today! It’d be cool to see that come back.

Sandy on August 16th, 2013 at 8:17 am

I love Walt Disney ever since I was a little girl and I still do. I would anything to go back to Disneyland again and have fun again! Disneyland will always be my favorite place on earth! I’m planning on working there after college!