Disney's Hollywood Studios, Twilight Zone Tower of Terror Interior

Behind the Scenes: Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Car Completes Drop Test at Magic Kingdom Park

posted on September 23rd, 2013 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

“Imagineers

Earlier today, Imagineers and Design & Engineering marked a milestone in the construction of Seven Dwarfs Mine Train in New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park.

“Seven

Last week, the team completed the car’s first push/pull test, and today marked the first time the train ran under its own gravity and completed its first drop out of the station.

As a reminder, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is set to debut in 2014.

For more on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, read the posts below:

Tagged: , , , ,

Filed: Behind the Scenes, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Jackson on September 23rd, 2013 at 4:39 pm

How Exciting! Was just there Saturday and it looks like a lot of progress has been made. Really looking forward to it!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 23rd, 2013 at 4:40 pm

I was out there today. It’s going to be amazing when it opens. :)

Miranda from FL on September 23rd, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Will the train have a lapbar or seatbelts? From the pictures I cannot see either, though the yellow bars look like they may be place holders for lap bars. Thanks!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 24th, 2013 at 11:33 am

It will have lapbars.

Nate on September 23rd, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Awesome! I’m so excited to go on this ride the next time I go to Disney World!

Robb on September 23rd, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Wow! That’s great news! Really looking forward to this ride.

Tobi-Dawne on September 23rd, 2013 at 5:50 pm

We’ll be there in January, and I’m SOOO hoping it will be ready to ride. Yeah, that’s really early in 2014, but a family can hope, can’t we? :D

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 24th, 2013 at 9:07 am

Right now all we know about an opening date is 2014…as soon as we have an update, we’ll share it on the Disney Parks Blog!

Melody from FL on September 23rd, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Miranda…Those yellow bars are for adding weight to the cars for testing.

Shaunnon from GA on September 23rd, 2013 at 6:28 pm

So, does that mean it completed the 1st complete circuit under its own power, or just from the station to the lift hill? Roller coaster enthusiasts want to know!

Joe from NJ on September 23rd, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Miranda, I’m guessing since there’s a 38″ height requirement that there will be a lap bar.

Thomas from ON on September 23rd, 2013 at 7:16 pm

We are there at the end of october I doubt it will be in soft open yet but I can always wish!

Cynthia on September 23rd, 2013 at 7:17 pm

I’m so excited! I am planning a trip for next year. Jennifer do you have an approximate time for the Mine Train to open?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 24th, 2013 at 9:08 am

Not yet…please stay tuned!

Amy on September 23rd, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I so wish this was going to ready for our trip mid-November!!

Tony on September 23rd, 2013 at 9:42 pm

will this be similar to Thunder Mountain?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 24th, 2013 at 9:32 am

Tony – This question was asked during our live chat last week…the coaster will be a family ride, but according to our Imagineers will also include elements of a traditional dark ride – sounds like an exciting blend to me! Check out more details here: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/09/live-chat-talk-princess-fairytale-hall-seven-dwarfs-mine-train-at-215-p-m/

James on September 23rd, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Man that is going to be so exiting. i cannot wait until it is finished. Hoping it is done by March when we come for vacation
woohoo.

Lisa on September 23rd, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I hope they have a test period in Nov. Kind of like a pre-opening.

Gina from Merseyside on September 24th, 2013 at 5:29 am

We are going to be there early Dec. any chance we might be able to ride one of the test runs?

Lisa on September 24th, 2013 at 5:36 am

Really hope this is open for my trip to Florida in March (22nd) next year with my sister. Coming all the way from the UK so would be sad if it opened just after we came, fingers crossed x

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 24th, 2013 at 9:08 am

Please keep checking back for news on an opening date.

Kathleen from WI on September 24th, 2013 at 7:16 am

Is this coaster ride more like a Rolling Thunder thrill ride or more like an Mt. Everest Ride with larger drops?

Darren on September 24th, 2013 at 7:55 am

The Imagineering nerd in me wants to know what “push – pull testing” is.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 24th, 2013 at 9:14 am

It’s a test in which the ride team moves the vehicle by hand through the attraction. For more on this, please check out the replay of last week’s live chat on Mine Train: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/09/live-chat-talk-princess-fairytale-hall-seven-dwarfs-mine-train-at-215-p-m/

Laura on September 24th, 2013 at 11:50 am

Can’t wait! Looking forward to hearing the opening date, as my family is holding off on planning any trips to Disney until this is open! Thanks for continuing to share updates!

Patricia on September 24th, 2013 at 4:41 pm

I plan on riding this with my niece and nephew when it opens! I don’t normally like coasters and I think Big Thunder Mountain is a little too scary. But I am excited because the Mine Train looks like the perfect ride for my family. It’s going to be so nice to have a ride that I can go on and enjoy with my niece and nephew!!!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 24th, 2013 at 5:02 pm

I hope you enjoy it, Patricia!

Laura on September 24th, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Jennifer, I am coming to the Magic Kingdom on December 10th for MVMCP! :) I am super excited as this is my first time coming to the party, but definitely not my first time! I am wondering if there will be a soft opening for the Mine Train, even just a tour for guests to see the ride. My husband and I came down for our honeymoon in June of 2012, and was not able to experience alot of the Magic at New FantasyLand. We are coming back a year and a half later (exactly) and are hoping to be able to see all of it! If you are not sure yet, I understand, but I would love to be kept posted! From your HUGE Disney fan in Maine ;)

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 25th, 2013 at 10:10 am

Hi Laura- Mine Train is still under construction, however you can clearly see the attraction from anywhere in New Fantasyland…it’s going to be huge! There are also some sneak peek windows within the construction wall that invite guests to look in and see the progress. As soon as we have any update on the opening, we’ll post it on the Blog.

Stefani on September 24th, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Yeah! One step closer to the new best ride at the magic kingdom!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 25th, 2013 at 11:19 am

Jack on September 25th, 2013 at 11:32 am

If you look on bing or google maps’ aerial photos, the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train footprint is about 2/3 the size of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. I guess there wasn’t any more room in the New Fantasyland to make it any larger. If you look, it looks squeezed in very close to the other NF attractions.

JEANY on September 25th, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I hope they will have lapbars too! I can’t wait to ride this new ride next year! I love it!

Jennifer on September 26th, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I can’t wait to see it in person! I REALLY hope it’s running in February when we are there!!!!

Thomas from TX on September 28th, 2013 at 8:44 am

I was sad to see Snow White’s Scary Adventures go, but it sounds like the dark ride elements combined with the coaster will more than make up for it! This will be my first stop on my next trip!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 30th, 2013 at 9:07 am

It sounds like it will be amazing. :)

Natalie on September 29th, 2013 at 6:47 pm

We just went to Disney earlier this month and saw all of the progress being made on the Seven Dwarfs’ Mine ride–we’re hoping it’ll be ready and waiting when we come back in August!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on October 1st, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Stay tuned for more updates. :)

missy on October 16th, 2013 at 11:45 am

wish it was going to be finished we were arrive January 16, we are so sad!

Jessica on October 18th, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Any idea when this attraction might open? We arrive Feb 23rd 2014

thomas on January 29th, 2014 at 9:13 am

we are coming in april when do you expect it to be open. the dwarfs ride.