Fall is in the air and the Disneyland Resort is celebrating non-stop. As with any celebration, delicious tastes are part of the seasonal fun. With three special festivities during Halloween Time, including Haunted Mansion Holiday, Dia de los Muertos and the Halloween Carnival at the Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree, let’s get started.
Haunted Mansion Holiday kicked off on Friday, the 13th of September, and runs through January 5 with the attraction’s traditional holiday overlay inspired by “Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas.” However this year, Jack has added some new magic worth multiple trips to take it all in – it might even take multiple trips to try all the seasonal tastes around the Disneyland Resort!
Here’s a sampling:
- Pepper Jack Skellington Burger at Carnation Cafe, on grilled sourdough with white cheddar, pepper jack, red onions and spicy burger sauce
- Halloween Wicked Grilled Chicken at Village Haus Restaurant with roasted mushrooms, Swiss cheese, arugula and spicy roasted red pepper aioli
- Roasted pork tenderloin Wellington (with scotch bonnet pepper harissa sauce!) at Blue Bayou Restaurant
- Crispy fish sandwich with tartar sauce and jicama-mango slaw at Hungry Bear Restaurant
- Coq au vin (chicken braised with wine, bacon, mushrooms and garlic) and pumpkin beignets at Café Orleans
- A generous muffuletta (a sandwich stuffed with layered meats, cheese and olive salad on a round loaf) at French Market Restaurant is served with homemade chips
- Also at French Market Restaurant is the Oreo Mousse Coffin, with white chocolate mousse, Oreo crumbs and Skellington white chocolate decoration
- Souvenir popcorn buckets, and an almost-too-cute-to eat seasonal cupcake
- Head over to Disney California Adventure park for the seasonal Anti-Vampire Chicken Flatbread – lots of roasted garlic, of course, plus smoked Gouda cheese, mozzarella and a balsamic glaze
Then there are the pumpkin-inspired sweets you’ll find throughout the parks: pumpkin beignets, pumpkin fritters, pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins with streusel and pepita seeds, pumpkin cheesecake. And there’s the indulgent Pumpkin Minnie Demitasse in a souvenir mug with flourless chocolate cake, pumpkin and chocolate mousse, candy corn and chocolate shavings. Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue is serving snickerdoodles with vanilla ice cream, pumpkin sauce, caramel sauce and orange sugar sprinkles.
Through November 3, meet some Disney Villains as they are conjured up in a sideshow tent at the Halloween Carnival at the Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree in Frontierland. Here you’ll also find a fried apple burrito, butter corn on the cob, hot dogs and candy corn cotton candy. Open daily 10:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Stop by Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Café at Disney California Adventure park and Market House on Main Street, U.S.A., in Disneyland park (beginning September 25) for Starbucks goodies. On the menu are the popular seasonal drinks such as pumpkin spice latte, salted caramel mocha and chocolate chai tea latte, along with pumpkin scones, pumpkin cream cheese muffins and pumpkin bread.
Also through November 3, Disneyland park guests can celebrate Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) at Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante in Frontierland during Halloween Time. For this spirited tribute to the Mexican holiday honoring the dead, the area features cheerful skeletons and brightly colored altars with marigolds and sugar skulls. Added to the menu just for the celebration are tamales and pumpkin flan with orange cake.
Mickey’s Halloween Party kicks off September 27 and takes place on select evenings through October 31 in Disneyland park. During Mickey’s Halloween Party, look for Monster U burgers at Tomorrowland Terrace (cheeseburger with special sauce, grilled onions and fries with “Parmesan-ranch ooze”). Also available is a cute crispy treat featuring the green eye of Mike Wazowski from “Monsters University.” The crispy treat is also at Redd Rockett’s Pizza Port, along with a Monster Mac ‘n Cheese Pizza. The Monster Mac ‘n Cheese Pizza is available throughout Halloween Time.
Don’t forget! Cafe Orleans is open during Mickey’s Halloween Party! Make your reservation by calling 714-781-DINE.
Lastly, available only during Halloween weekend (October 25 through November 1) at Disney California Adventure park is a pumpkin-shaped loaf of Boudin Bakery’s famous sourdough, perfect to carry home for a party! It’s only available at Pacific Wharf Café, the Disney California Adventure bread cart, Mortimer’s Market, and Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta.