'it's a small world' at Disneyland Park

Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom Park – Tips For Beginners

posted on September 23rd, 2013 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Halloween is one of my absolute favorite holidays, which is why one of our family’s must-dos each fall is to attend a Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party. These special event parties at Magic Kingdom Park are the perfect way to get into the fall spirit.

In case you’re attending your first party this year, here are some tips on how you can make the most of your evening.

The Party Requires a Separate Ticket

We see this question every year, and yes, entry to the party requires a separate Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party ticket (even if you’re visiting the park earlier in the day, the party requires separate entry). Here’s a tip – you may receive a discount on select event nights when you purchase tickets in advance. Some nights do sell out, so buying tickets ahead of time is suggested. You can find that information here.
Mickey's

Wear Costumes

Kids (of all ages) are welcome to wear costumes to the party. It doesn’t matter whether your costume is elaborate or homemade, dressing up puts you in the Halloween spirit and sure makes for cute photos with Disney characters – who also don their Halloween best!

Grab a Special Event Map

The best way to ensure you don’t miss a thing is by grabbing an event map on the way in. These special maps show the location of trick-or-treat stations and special character greetings and list the times for must-see Halloween entertainment.
Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom Park

Try Trick-Or-Treat Stations

Guests of all ages are also welcome to trick-or-treat throughout the park at designated treat stations and special treat trails – pathways that offer multiple candy stops along the way. This year, more than 220 tons of candy are on order, so be sure to pick up a complimentary trick-or-treat bag on your way into the park.
Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom Park

Watch Mickey’s “Boo-to-You” Halloween Parade

Any Disney parade is amazing, but if you’d like to see a procession of characters in Halloween costumes, marching Haunted Mansion butlers, dancing hitchhiking ghosts, Goofy’s giant candy machine and more, Mickey’s “Boo-To-You” Halloween Parade is a must-see!
'Happy HalloWishes' Fireworks at Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom Park

Don’t Miss “Happy HalloWishes” Fireworks

One of the highlights of the event is the special Halloween-themed fireworks show that takes place at 9:30 p.m. “Happy HalloWishes” is narrated by the Ghost Host from The Haunted Mansion and features sections inspired by Cruella de Vil, Jafar, Oogie Boogie and other Disney villains.

Do you have a tip for attending Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party? If so, leave it in the “Comments” section below.

Read on for more posts about Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party:

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Magic Kingdom, Special Events, Walt Disney World Resort

Sabrina on September 23rd, 2013 at 9:31 am

Are adults also encouraged to wear costumes? Any costumes? We are attending it next year and my kids are already planning their costumes and also mine and their dad’s!
Thanks!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 25th, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Yes, guests of any age may wear costumes.

Allison from GA on September 23rd, 2013 at 11:26 am

The second Mickey’s “Boo-to-You” Halloween Parade is typically less crowded so its easier to get a good spot for it. Be sure to be there early so you don’t miss the Headless Horseman.

Concentrate on the special events for Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party first and then do the attractions always offered at Magic Kingdom or come back another time for those.

Wear comfortable shoes. Some Guests forget that when planning their costumes. Also remember that you’ll be boarding attractions in those costumes so keep that in mind as well.

Even adults should dress up! This is an amazing spooktacular event for all ages!!!

Samantha on September 23rd, 2013 at 11:38 am

I really enjoy this years party! I was disappointed when their was no decorations at the treat trails this year. I was really looking forward to them!

Sabrina, yes even adults can wear costumes! Just remember it is still very hot here in September/October.

Sarah on September 23rd, 2013 at 11:54 am

We love it that even adults are welcome to wear costumes during the parties. Last year my mother was Queen of Hearts, I was Cheshire Cat and my daughter was Mad Hatter. During the “Boo-to-You” parade, the real Queen of Hearts twirled right up to my mother! Great memory.

My tip is to get a plan before you go to the party – there is so much to see and do. (Eat dinner before you go.) My daughters LOVED the Halloween dance parties.

Sarah on September 23rd, 2013 at 12:11 pm

(And be sure and save room for some popcorn and other Halloween treats – the Halloween themed popcorn buckets make great souvenirs!)

laure from LA on September 23rd, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Can’t wait to go to MNSSHP on Oct 10th. Love the idea of dressing up.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 23rd, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I hope you have a blast! :)

Kim on September 23rd, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Thanks for posting this! We are WDW veterans but this is our first trip to WDW for MNSSHP. Have our tickets for Oct 24!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 23rd, 2013 at 3:28 pm

You’ll have an amazing time! Don’t forget your camera.

Paul from ON on September 23rd, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I would highly recommend getting photopass plus for the evening. Getting photos with the special characters, plus ride photos while you are in costume is a great and unique event.

Kim from NY on September 23rd, 2013 at 4:20 pm

My husband and I went to the party this past Friday (the 20th) and had a great time – our first time! We dressed in costumes as characters from UP… my husband was Russell and I was Kevin! We already have talked about what costumes we can come up with for next year.

Photopass picture outside The Haunted Mansion is the BEST!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 25th, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Fun! I’m happy to hear you had a good time.

todd on September 23rd, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I wouldn’t worry with standing in too many of the candy lines. They’re usually giving out the same types of candy, and if your bag isn’t full at the end of the night, there’s typically one final station at the exit that will fill you up!

Sara on September 23rd, 2013 at 7:33 pm

The experience is fabulous! We have been doing this for the last 6 years or so and my children look forward to it each and every year! Don’t forget about the dance parties, which they always have, but the characters are in costume as well and the music is halloweentastic! If you want to ride rides do it during the first parade and then catch the second parade of the night before you head to the shops and then back to your hotel or home! Oh and best tip of all…you can enter the park before it closes to regular pass visitors and get an extra hour or two in to enjoy the rides so you have more time for the halloween activities in the evening!

Denise on September 24th, 2013 at 9:55 am

We will be attending for our first time on the 6th – I can’t wait! I love that adults can go in costume – it’s not often that I can dress up! My husband will be Woody, my daughter Jessie (the yodeling cowgirl) and I will be Bo Peep. I am especially looking forward to the parade and fireworks!

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 25th, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Nice! I hope you have a great time.

Abby on September 24th, 2013 at 2:20 pm

My son has peanut and treenut allergies. How does WDW handle this during trick or treating?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 25th, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Special Dietary options are available at City Hall/Guest Relations upon request (but please note this is not a treat location).

Isumy on September 24th, 2013 at 3:18 pm

The Trick or Treat Maps that were posted are not big enough to see in the other Disney Park Blog for Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party.

michael on September 24th, 2013 at 11:15 pm

if you get a ticket for the not so scary Halloween but dont purchase a regular ticket for that day whats the earliest you can show up?

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on September 25th, 2013 at 2:28 pm

You can enter the park as early as 4 p.m.

christie on September 26th, 2013 at 3:09 pm

We have our tickets for the Halloween party but I was wondering when is the best time to get there to ride the rides before it gets too crowded. Do you know which rides will be open during the party and which characters are going to be there? Thanks. This is our first time going so its a little overwhelming and I want to make the most of our time.

janine on September 27th, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Have our tickets for the 27th of October! We got married in April but are taking our honeymoon this time because of not so scary and food and wine. Had a blast 2 years ago when we went, we were able to ride pirates 3 times in a row without waiting, it was glorious. The parade is fantastic too!

Valerie on September 27th, 2013 at 8:21 pm

This will be our first time attending. We’re trying to figure out costumes, but is full makeup allowed? It says masks are allowed, so I would think that full makeup is too, but I’d hate to do our entire makeup (thinking day of the dead makeup) and have us not be able to get in without washing it off. Thanks in advance for the info!

Robbin on September 27th, 2013 at 9:44 pm

If we arrive later in the day but want to do the party I only need the party ticket not an actual park ticket right?

Jacquelin on September 29th, 2013 at 9:21 pm

We will be attending the MNSSHP on Friday, October 18, can’t wait. Do have a question. We are going to Magic Kingdom earlier in the day so will have our park tickets. Will we, being the adults, be able to wear our costume before 4pm at the park?

Alexandra on September 30th, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Can you go in at 4pm in costume?

alyssia on September 30th, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I am taking my 5 year old son for the 1st time and we are beyond excited. He is allergic to peanuts. do they have candy options for kids with allergies. How many of the rides are open during the party?

Francisco on September 30th, 2013 at 5:14 pm

I have the Same Question as Jacquelin. My family is getting to the Magic Kingdom at opening (we have our park tickets for the day and party tickets). Will we be able to wear our costume all day long ?

TEREKA on October 3rd, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Forgive me for being a little confused. I have some last minute anxiety as I prepare for our trip next week. We have tickets for MK one day of the trip. I purchased tickets for the party, but assumed that we would NOT need also have park tickets for the same day. Is this true. i.e., can I use our tickets for park admission on Monday. And come back with our party tickets (only) on Tuesday?

Jose from PR on October 5th, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Do I need to buy a regular park admission ticket along with the special event ticket to get into MNSSHP?

Richard from FL on October 10th, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Can you arrive at the Park earlier than 7pm?

Sarah on October 11th, 2013 at 11:35 am

What kind of Candy? My husband is on the fence since we are already going that day anyway he said if it’s just regular candy it’s a no go since we are on a tight budget he said he will get us candy. Obviously there is way more than just the candy at the party but our little girl is 3 and son 1 so we are usually bedtiming it at 7:30 pm for them. If anyone has any candy info I would appreciate it. THanks :)

Sandy on October 21st, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Heading in for our 4th trip to MNSSHP! We always arrive in costume promptly at 4:01 and savor every moment of it! The Haunted Mansion is “the place”! Always a great meeting spot, love the parade, the candy…so excited to return. Eat EARLY as the restaurants do not stay open the entire time, you may get hungry.

tabitha on October 24th, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Hi! I will be going to Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party this Sunday October 27th 2013 and I was wondering when we’re aloud to enter the park? I know the hours are 7PM-12AM but I’ve seen a few people saying that we can enter the park at 4PM. Is this true? I don’t want to show up at 4PM and find out that we can’t get in until 7PM.