Halloween at Walt Disney World Resort

New Food Trucks Set to Roll into Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World Resort

posted on September 11th, 2013 by Darcy Clark, Marketing Manager, Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World Resort

A few years ago, I visited Austin, Texas; I was there for a music festival, but one of the things I remember best is the food trucks. It was the first time I had seen anyone serve “grown-up” food from a vehicle. (Trust me, these were nothing like the ice cream trucks I chased as a kid!) Today, Food Trucks seem to be everywhere, though much to my dismay, they’ve been in short supply at the Walt Disney World Resort. Until now.
“New

I’m delighted to share this delicious tidbit: Food Trucks are coming to Downtown Disney! Even better? They’re rolling in faster than you might expect, with the first truck expected later this fall.

I recently sat down with Chef James Kleinschmidt and Downtown Disney Area Manager for Food & Beverage, Matt Fisher, who have been working closely with our Walt Disney World Food & Beverage partners on the concept. They shared some early details with me and, of course, I wanted to pass along every morsel of information to you! According to the duo, there will be four trucks, each themed to portray the essence of a different Disney Park. Here’s what’s in the works:

• “Enchanted Fare” will serve favorites from Disney Parks around the world; think Croque Monsieur from Magic Kingdom Park, Glass Noodle Salad from Hong Kong Disneyland and (my favorite!) Hand-Dipped Corn Dogs from Disneyland park.
  • “The World Showcase of Flavors” is expected to feature items from the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival such as Grass-Fed Beef Sliders, Pierogies with Kielbasa and Lobster Rolls. Yum!
  • “Superstar Catering” will shine the spotlight on a wide array of meatball options fit for a Hollywood set; the Lamb Meatball Flatbread with Tzatziki sounds especially credit-worthy.
  • “Namaste Café” plans to feature a nice mix of spices with dishes including Butter Chicken, Slow-Cooked Beef Short Ribs and Tandori Spiced Shrimp. (I hear they’ll all come with Naan Bread, so you can’t go wrong!)

In the coming weeks, we’ll share additional details about the food trucks and hope to have photos of the menu items to whet your appetite. In the meantime, I’d love to know which truck you’re most excited about – I honestly can’t decide!

Filed: Disney Dining, Downtown Disney, Walt Disney World Resort

Kim on September 11th, 2013 at 8:31 am

I am most excited about The World Showcase of Flavors. Food and Wine Festival all year long…PLEASE and THANK YOU!

Darcy Clark on September 11th, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Kim, right? The Epcot International Food & Wine Festival is, hands-down, the Park event I most look forward to every fall. Having the chance to sample some of my favorites from the Festival all year long is amazing!

Scott from FL on September 11th, 2013 at 8:34 am

The Enchanted Fare truck concept is great. Love the idea of sampling favorites from the other Disney Parks. This would also be a neat idea to work into the Epcot Food & Wine Festival.

Blair on September 11th, 2013 at 9:01 am

Darcy, you made my morning. The thought of getting a Disneyland hand-dipped corn dog at WDW is so exciting. Can’t wait!!!

Darcy Clark on September 11th, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Blair, I’m so thrilled that you’re as excited as I am. Fall has always been my favorite time of year in Florida and with the debut of these food trucks, there’s even more reason to love the season!

Jennifer from ON on September 11th, 2013 at 9:08 am

Epcot Food & Wine Festival and now this?! I have recently lost 30 lbs and we are heading to WDW October 26th. For 9 glorious days the diet is off!! I’ll be hopping off the Magical Express like Animal from the Muppets trashing at my chains yelling “EAT FOOD!! EAT FOOD!!” It’s also our 1st time staying on Disney property and having the dining plan. OI!! Good thing Epcot makes you walk for your food and wine. The food trucks will be a wonderful addition to DTD adding some nice variety for groups with varying appetites :)

Jackie on September 11th, 2013 at 9:10 am

This sounds great! Do you know if any of the trucks will offer gluten-free options for those with food sensitivities/allergies?

Mandy on September 11th, 2013 at 9:16 am

Sounds exciting and yummy!!! I wish that they would bring the YUM YUM Cupcake Truck to Downtown Disney!! They bring it into ESPN Wide World of Sports and I would love to go get some delish cupcakes from them while they are there but I just can’t justify buying a entrance ticket to go get some cupcakes.

Timothy on September 11th, 2013 at 9:49 am

As great as this sounds, I will play devil’s advocate. Does this diminish how special the Food and Wine Festival is?

Having said that, I can’t wait to get a hand dipped corn dog in Florida, I think I had 3 on my last trip to Disneyland.

Shane from FL on September 11th, 2013 at 9:58 am

Darcy, this is an awesome idea and addition to the Disney experience! Will these venues cater to Food Allergies especially Gluten? If not it will be a huge disappointment.

Catherine from ON on September 11th, 2013 at 9:59 am

These sound great! I hope they’ll be linked in with the Disney Dining Plan.

Patricia on September 11th, 2013 at 10:46 am

For the life of me I just don’t understand the recent appeal of “food trucks”. I know this is heavily promoted on TV and the Food Network and in magazines, but it feels weird to me to eat out of a truck. I’d rather go to a restaurant or a “snack shack” that is permanent in one place. It feels unhygienic to eat something out of a truck. To me it’s just a bigger version of a hotdog vender’s cart. I am totally not a part of the crowd that loves food trucks I guess.

Tommye on September 11th, 2013 at 11:40 am

Love to see the Austin influence! :-) I plan to hit each of these trucks. Yummy

Allison on September 11th, 2013 at 11:50 am

wondering if these trucks will be able to prepare food for people with food allergies…I would be curious to know….

David on September 11th, 2013 at 11:53 am

Really wish there were some vegetarian options as well…..often it seems this is ignored

Sarah on September 11th, 2013 at 11:57 am

Thanks for the details! LOVE Be Our Guest Restaurant’s Croque Monsieur at lunch, so that’s what I’ll try first. Fun addition to Downtown Disney.

Darcy Clark on September 11th, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Sarah, a few weeks ago, I tried the Croque Monsieur from Be Our Guest for the first time. I am still dreaming about it. This is going to be a delicious addition to Downtown Disney!

Diana on September 11th, 2013 at 11:59 am

We are leaving for Disney the first week of October. I hope they are going to be open then.

Laurie from VA on September 11th, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Will the trucks be following Disney’s great food allergy policies so those with food allergies will know if there are safe options???

Nicole from NS on September 11th, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Do you know if they will be accepting Dining Plan credits??

Megan on September 11th, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I cannot express how excited I am about this. THANK YOU for bringing the famous corn dogs to Disney World. And double thank you for Epcot Food and Wine food being available all year long (LOBSTER ROLL!!!!).

Darcy Clark on September 11th, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Megan, I know! It’s crazy how good those Disneyland corn dogs are … I can’t wait to have one right here at Downtown Disney!!!

Gregory from TN on September 11th, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Please Please Please put the Monte Christo on the menu! I had one out at Disneyland and I remember having one back in the old days at WDW but they don’t appear to be available anywhere any longer in Florida.

Julie on September 11th, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Sooo excited for Disneyland corn dogs on the East Coast! They are the best!!

Julie on September 11th, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I agree with Gregory, the Monte Cristo would be awesome, as well as the Countdown Chicken Fusilli from Pizza Port. :)

Jennie from CA on September 11th, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Squeeeeal, this is GREAT!!! We watch Food Truck Road Show on the Food Channel. It’s so exciting and I have a giant list of food trucks in So Cal I want to chase down. I can’t wait for the World Showcase truck. I’d love to go to F&W every year if I could. I second adding the Monte Cristo to the Enchanted Faire truck. This will be such an exciting addition to DTD.

Angela from GA on September 11th, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I’m interested to know if the truck will accept the Dining Plan credits as well. Any news on that so far?

Darcy Clark on September 11th, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Angela, I haven’t yet heard about whether or not the trucks will accept Dining Plan credits; I’ll let you know if I hear anything.

Darcy Clark on September 12th, 2013 at 4:49 pm

UPDATE TO THE UPDATE: For once, I’m glad I was wrong! I learned early today that the food trucks WILL be accepting the Disney Dining Plan. Sorry for any confusion.

Gail from NJ on September 11th, 2013 at 2:46 pm

How long will they be there? Would love to check them out in December!

Amy from PA on September 11th, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Excited about the concept; curious about the location. Where at Downtown will they be located…in which part…Marketplace, PI, or West Side?

Tammy on September 11th, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Love my Austin food trucks! Hope the food is just as good!

Colleen on September 11th, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Will the food trucks be at Downtown Disney in late December? I’d love to be able to try them then!

Darcy Clark on September 12th, 2013 at 9:18 am

Colleen, you’re in luck! Look for more details about the trucks, including location information and photos of the menu items, to come out over the next several weeks.

Tara on September 11th, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Croque Monsieur from Magic Kingdom? Where do they serve it? I’ve had it at France in Epcot and at Disneyland Paris. Is it in New Fantasyland at Gaston’s?

Darcy Clark on September 12th, 2013 at 9:16 am

Tara, you can find the Croque Monsieur at Be Our Guest Restaurant in New Fantasyland. I enjoyed it during lunch recently and it was incredible!

Julie on September 11th, 2013 at 7:59 pm

I’m so excited about this! Can’t wait for this to launch! I love food trucks!

Maria on September 11th, 2013 at 10:09 pm

So excited for this! What a great, quick option after a long day in the parks! Cannot wait to try out some food from around the world and food & wine festival goodies!

Joshua on September 12th, 2013 at 2:49 am

And nothing for vegetarians or vegans. It’s a shame Disney has for few offerings in this department..

Brittney from AL on September 12th, 2013 at 7:24 am

Yay! Yay! Yay! I love food trucks! This is a fun adventure for Downtown Disney on a down day, or just a fun night! Yay!

Rebecca on September 12th, 2013 at 7:38 am

When we were at Downtown Disney in August we saw at least one food truck there. I think it was selling tacos. Personally I’d rather see more casual sit down places. So many restaurants require reservations. It would be nice if there were more air-conditioned casual places where you could just walk in to take a break from shopping and have lunch or dinner.

There are already kiosk places selling snack type foods. I don’t see these food trucks as being much different than that except they are moveable and have more substantial menus.

Jeanne from MN on September 12th, 2013 at 8:31 am

Disney and Food Trucks – can’t think of a better combination! Can’t wait for my trip in January! Curious as to whether this will be a permanent thing or just while the construction is going on?

Darcy Clark on September 12th, 2013 at 9:22 am

Jeanne, I’m with you – Disney and food trucks is a great combination! I think they’ll be quite popular and I don’t see them driving away anytime soon.

Rick on September 12th, 2013 at 10:14 am

All sounds fantastic. Preliminary menu items sound great. Can’t wait to see the announcement of their arrival.
Rick T

Rachel on September 12th, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Please say that one of the items served will be a Dole Whip!

Matthew from FL on September 12th, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Looking forward to food trucks (we are local at at DD all the time) but really hope to see some vegetarian options. Having recently traveled to India it seems that the majority of the fast food & street food I saw was vegetarian, so a Namaste truck should theoretically have at least one…..

Darcy Clark on September 12th, 2013 at 4:47 pm

To those who have asked about vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free options … as with any Disney location, guests with a food allergy or dietary restriction can (and should!) ask to speak with a Chef or Manager regarding their specific needs; the food trucks will be no different. And, good news, I’ve been told that future offerings will be based in part on guest feedback, so menu items are subject to change based on demand :-)

Nate on September 12th, 2013 at 5:29 pm

The Namaste Café Truck sounds especially great!

Linda from Bucks on September 13th, 2013 at 9:17 am

Love this idea – what a great addition to Downtown Disney
Please have some vegetarian options!

Gregory from SC on September 20th, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Enchanted Fare – we just happened to be at Disneyland many years ago and randomly picked up some corn dogs at a cart near the front. They were the best we have ever had and we are junk food junkies. We thought maybe we were just very hungry but as it turns out, they are just that Great.
Looking forward to them coming to Disney World. Hope they are there by Feb/2014, our next visit.

Julio on September 24th, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Sounds Great Darcy are this trucks Owned by Disney ? We have a Food Truck we run in Central Florida we would like to sign up with you if Possible for Future Events . Our Truck was feature on the Daily Buzz they love our truck and food