'World of Color' at Disney California Adventure Park

Walt Disney and the Disney Characters at Disneyland Park

posted on September 4th, 2013 by George Savvas, Public Relations Director, Disneyland Resort

Today we’re wrapping up our look at rare photos of Walt Disney with the Disney characters at Disneyland park, and this one is a real treat. Taken in 1961 on the stage of the large, tented picnic area inside what was known as Holidayland (an area just outside the park’s berm that was available for large private events), Walt is pictured with 20 Disney characters!
“Walt

We hope you’ve enjoyed these fun photographs – we’ll keep an eye out for more!

Filed: Disney History, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

Gregory on September 4th, 2013 at 5:14 pm

If I’m guessing right, Chip and Dale certainly have grown through the years. The others are easily recognizable, with one exception. To the right of one of the 3 Little Pigs (and blotting out most of another) is a face character. Could it be old school Tinker Bell?

Dustin on September 4th, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Poor Donald, didn’t make it into the pic! (unless he’s behind Walt?)

Also, I count only 6 of the Dwarfs…

@Gregory, I think that may be Peter Pan (older versions of PP had him played by females).

Michael on September 4th, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Mickey and Minnie have big heads and little bodies, looks like they got stung by a bee and swelled up lol.

Gregory on September 4th, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Yeah, I was thinking “Cathy Rigby / Mary Martin” myself, but didn’t think the gender switch would be done by Disneyland. The outfit is actually more Peter Pan-ish. It would seem strange to cast a female back then, though Even little kids would be able to recognize a girl in that costume.

Patricia on September 4th, 2013 at 11:36 pm

OMG George!!! How did you find such a cool old photo? This is the best. I sent it to my daughter and she loved it too. We collect old time photos of Disney characters but we don’t have none as good as yours!

Michael on September 5th, 2013 at 7:51 am

I never know that Alice wore a knee high dress, or was she the one who start that miniskirt fashion?