Disney Cruise Line

AVATAR at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Will Transport, Transform Guests

posted on October 14th, 2013 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

Over the weekend, Tom Staggs wowed the crowd at the first-ever D23 Expo in Japan with an early glimpse of what’s planned for AVATAR at Disney’s Animal Kingdom park. He shared some breathtaking concept renderings of floating mountains, bioluminescent plants and other awe-inspiring experiences guests will encounter in the mythical world of Pandora.

Also at the D23 Expo Japan, Tom shared video of filmmaker James Cameron and Walt Disney Imagineer Joe Rohde highlighting the creative work already underway on the project. Joe said when the AVATAR-inspired land is completed, it’ll be a transformational experience that you’ll remember for the rest of your life. Today, we wanted to share the entire video with Disney Parks Blog readers.

Tagged: , , , , ,

Filed: Disney's Animal Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Morgan on October 14th, 2013 at 10:56 am

This look incredible – thanks for the update! What a dream team to have on the project, it would be awesome to collaborate with such creative and excited people on a really amazing project!

Brian on October 14th, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Why?

Tiffany on October 14th, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I’m looking forward to walking in the bioluminescent forest with my family. My son loves the lights on the ground at Epcot, this will be a real treat for him.

Maggie from OH on October 14th, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Is there an ETA on this project? I was thinking I read that the 1st phase might be open as soon as 2015. Pandora was so visually exciting, having Disney World bring it to life is brilliant! I can’t wait to see it.

Raina from FL on October 14th, 2013 at 3:36 pm

OMG I can’t wait for that to open! I absolutely love the idea for the park and I think it’s going to be breathtaking.

Craig on October 14th, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Not sold!

JEANY on October 14th, 2013 at 7:16 pm

I Can’t wait for the Opening of Avatar in 2017 and I’m so excited and I’m sold and I love this idea!

Kenny on October 14th, 2013 at 10:06 pm

We’ll see I guess. A sweet ride will perk my interest.

Clifton on October 15th, 2013 at 8:32 am

I’m not going to make it to Japan any time soon… Do they have any plans to bring something like this to the U.S.?

Jeanette on October 15th, 2013 at 8:45 am

I am so excited! Thank you for sharing the video. Keep the updates coming!

Robert on October 15th, 2013 at 11:41 am

Clifton, this was revealed at the Japanese D23 Expo but it will be put into Animal Kingdom in Orlando.

Steve from GA on October 20th, 2013 at 5:56 am

The concept art and designs shared with all of us Disney fans so far look amazing. Avatar was not a film that I connected with, but the experience of the land at Walt Disney World I think has hugh possibilities. Here’s looking forward to 2017 at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

Best, Steve

melissa on October 22nd, 2013 at 11:45 am

this looks really awesome!! i LOVED the movie and love the idea that Disney is making this a reality that we can learn about and experience. I guess i will be back in 2017 when it is finished :>

Marty on November 11th, 2013 at 9:04 am

Animal Kingdom closes early due to the animals. So will the entire park close at the same time or will it be like epcot where one side of the part might close but the other stays open longer?