Halloween at the Walt Disney World Resort

Family Traditions: How Do You Show Your Disney Side?

posted on November 4th, 2013 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Does your family have any traditions you follow on each Disney Parks vacation? A regular photo in front of Cinderella Castle, or an annual trip to the Candlelight Processional at Epcot to celebrate the holidays, perhaps?

For the Schearer family, their Disney tradition is commemorating each child’s first trip to Walt Disney World Resort by stopping at The Chapeau and getting a pair of Mickey Mouse ears embroidered with his or her name – and taking a photo of their child’s reaction to the new hat in the shop’s mirror. Check out the video below to see the reaction of their newest child.

How do you show your Disney Side when visiting a Disney theme park? Does your family have any theme park traditions? Tell us in the “Comments” section below.

Filed: Walt Disney World Resort

Matthew on November 4th, 2013 at 3:08 pm

It’s a relatively recent tradition, but my family always eats breakfast at 1900 Park Fare on our last day. Good food, and a chance to see Mary Poppins, Alice, and the other characters there.

Jennifer from AL on November 4th, 2013 at 3:09 pm

We have to get a haircut from the Harmony Barbershop. All my children have had a first haircut at this magical location, and we continue haircuts each visit.

John on November 4th, 2013 at 3:20 pm

We always visit the Magic Kingdom on the last day of our vacation. Just before the park closes we stop for a hot dog at Casey’s Corner. Then we make our way as slowly as possible down Main Street USA taking in the sights, sounds and smells as we leave the park.

Anabella from bs as on November 4th, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I have pics from the last 15 years with my kids and every friend that joined us at WDW, at the snowmen outside Mamma Melrose in DHS :) such a cute memory

Heath on November 4th, 2013 at 3:29 pm

My wife and I take silly pictures with some of the character statues at the Earport at Orlando Airport on our way home every year. Our first trip together was in 2004, and we now have at least a dozen of us with Snow White, Mickey, and Goofy. In one set, my wife is pregnant. In the next, we’re traveling with our 8-week-old daughter to the Polynesian, and then with my daughter at five months for her first Disney Cruise on the Dream!

It’s a fun tradition, and if we’re traveling with family, they pose with us. Even after all the memorable vacation photos from the parks, resorts, and ships, these airport photos are our favorite because they show us evolving and changing.

Laurie on November 4th, 2013 at 3:30 pm

We always have a family picture with the wooden Indian. It’s silly but my dad always loved the Hank Williams song “kaw-liga”. So ever since I was little (30 years worth) of pictures with that Indian. I even do it when I am not with my parent and send them the picture lol :)

PAMELA from NV on November 4th, 2013 at 3:34 pm

My kids each had a photo with Mickey on their first visit. Their first birthdays are celebrated at Mickey’s Happiest Birthdays. Every birthday after is celebrated at Breakfast with Mickey. And we always have a family photo in front of the Halloween Pumpkin and in front of the castle for Christmas.

Debbie on November 4th, 2013 at 4:26 pm

My daughter and I got matching Disney tatoos of hidden Mickey & Minnie for our upcoming trip in December!! We love Disney!

Julie on November 4th, 2013 at 4:27 pm

We always start each trip with a visit to Magic Kingdom and ride Buzz Lightyear. My kids are now 16 and 20 and we still get excited for our WDW visits. The last couple years we started a new tradition of taking funny ride photos

We go back in 40 days are are planning for our photos this year!

Louella from CA on November 4th, 2013 at 5:49 pm

We used to always take a picture at The Court of Angels in New Orleans Square at Disneyland, but hoping to start some new traditions since it closed.

Leasa on November 4th, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Several Disney traditions:
Watch Wishes in the MK on our first night.

Always take a picture of our family at the Boardwalk (our DVC home resort) on the back porch in the “chair” that seats all 5 of us. I don’t know what you call that piece of furniture.

As each of our daughters turned 13, they were allowed to select a pearl at the Japan pavilion and turn it into a necklace. We just completed our final necklace this past June with our youngest daughter.

Jaime on November 4th, 2013 at 6:19 pm

We always make a big deal out of the “little” kid’s first time on (insert “big” ride name here). The last time was when we took my then 6 year old neice on Indiana Jones. We filled the car with 12 of our 16 in our party and clapped our hands on our legs “singing” the theme song in da-na-nas. It was much fun!

Bob on November 4th, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Every time we go to Disneyland, we eat lunch at the Blue Bayou. We always wait for a table near the water, and enjoy the amazing Monte Cristo sandwiches. We look forward to it each time we visit!

Paul from ON on November 4th, 2013 at 10:26 pm

My wife passed away from melanoma when our son was 6 and our twin girls were only 3. She never got to take them to her favourite place in the world. The last thing she told me was to take the kids to visit her in Walt Disney World, because that’s where she was going.

I bought a DVC membership with the last of her life insurance, so we could go visit Mommy every year. The kids believe that the heart shaped fireworks in WISHES are hugs sent by Mommy down from heaven for us. That’s why we’re staying at Bay Lake Tower New years eve until Jan 12th this year, so we can see WISHES every night from our room.

Erika on November 5th, 2013 at 2:44 am

My family’s Disneyland traditions include riding Peter Pan’s Flight as our first ride, waving to people from the train to see how many guests we can get to wave back, and taking a picture on the Moose Bench in Critter Country (when we can find it).

Terri on November 5th, 2013 at 7:24 am

I can’t leave the park until we get a Mickey head sugar cookie. We have been doing this for 20 years, at least.

Kelly from NY on November 5th, 2013 at 9:35 am

We got engaged right on Main Street. For our One Year Anniversary, we made a sign and took another picture at the same location on Main Street! It was amazing! We are hoping to continue the tradition by taking a photo every year on our anniversary with a new year sign.

Clydene from CA on November 5th, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Our tradition is to always take a leap (literally) from the ‘outside world’ into Disneyland (when we pass under the railroad tunnels, under the sign that says ‘Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy’). We’re so excited to be there, we line up side by side, hold hands, and leap right in. :)

We also always have breakfast at Carnation Café on our last day in the Park. :)

pamela on November 6th, 2013 at 12:17 am

Is there going to be a candlelight processional this year

Amber on November 6th, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Each visit: we start by going to Magic Kingdom and riding “It’s A Small World” as our first ride of the trip. The 2nd day is always EPCOT. The last place we go is Magic Kingdom and ride “It’s A Small World” for the last time until our next trip.

My husband and I’s tradition is to always eat at Tusker House for Donald’s Safari Breakfast.

Linda from MA on November 7th, 2013 at 11:26 am

Our first Disney stay was at the Polynesian Resort. We took pictures in the first floor lobby by the waterfall. Every visit any of my family now takes includes a visit back to Polynesian for another picture.

Emily on November 8th, 2013 at 2:55 pm

We have so many traditions! We always stay at the Port Orleans French Quarter because we LOVE it. Our first and last days of trips are always spent at Magic Kingdom and Haunted Mansion is always our first ride of the vacation. Our kids get a pair of ears for every trip and we eat lunch at Liberty Tree before leaving. We’re creatures of habit, I guess!

Stacey from LA on November 9th, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Every trip we make to DisneyWorld, i take my girls to Japan in EPCOT and they “pick a pearl” . At this point they each have about 19 pearls and we are going to have them made into necklaces for my daughters….mismatched pearls be it may, but each represents a special trip.

We also always visit Magic Kingdom on our first and last days.

Headed back for Christmas!!!

Faith on November 11th, 2013 at 3:08 am

My boyfriend and I actually had our first date at Disneyland (we met online believe it or not). We’ve been together for 1 year and 7 months. We are always checking out the various stores both in the parks and at DTD. We go about every week rain or shine. We are so happy that we have found each other and going to Disneyland resort just makes it all that much better. Thank you.