Halloween at the Walt Disney World Resort

Vintage Walt Disney World: Disney’s Yacht & Beach Club Resort Opens

posted on November 7th, 2013 by Nate Rasmussen, Archivist, Marketing Resource Center

This week, back in 1990, Disney’s Yacht & Beach Club Resort opened. Below is a look at the resorts while under construction in July 1990.

VYB828986SMALL

Stormalong Bay, the two-and-a-half-acre water recreation area themed after a Nantucket beach, is home to a 150-foot water slide plummeting from the shipwrecked Albatross in the middle of the two resorts.

VYB828987SMALL

Located on the banks of Crescent Lake, Disney’s Yacht & Beach Club Resort is also home to one of my favorite places to get ice cream – Beaches and Cream. Who’s up for sharing a Kitchen Sink?

Tagged:

Filed: Disney History, Hotels & Resorts, Walt Disney World Resort

Adam on November 7th, 2013 at 9:19 am

My last stay in 2011 was at the Yacht and Beach club. Great resort!

Christina from GA on November 7th, 2013 at 9:36 am

I love it so much that I bought my DVC points for the Beach Club Villas!

Heidi from NC on November 7th, 2013 at 9:37 am

Stayed there this past summer and loved it! Would love to stay there again next time.

Kathleen from IL on November 7th, 2013 at 9:45 am

We just stayed there for the first time last summer (normally we are Poly people but our daughter fell in love with the pool when we ate at Cape May Café on a previous trip). Fell in love with the beauty, hospitality, and proximity to Epcot, Boardwalk, and Hollywood Studios. We loved every minute of the pool and are in heated debates over staying there again or going to the Poly when we return… hard choices to make.

Nate Rasmussen on November 7th, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I agree it is a hard choice! There are so many great Resorts at Walt Disney World!

Anthony on November 7th, 2013 at 10:55 am

Once again I love these construction photos! Thanks for sharing.

I’ll be staying at the Beach Club next month for our honeymoon.

Nate Rasmussen on November 7th, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Glad you like them, Anthony. I agree they’re very cool.

Susan on November 7th, 2013 at 2:54 pm

We were married at they Yacht Club Gazebo in1996. That is the DVC that I am waiting to buy! (One can dream)

Kristen on November 7th, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I could go for a kitchen sink right about now! I’ll be there this weekend for Wine and Dine but no kitchen sink – hopefully in February :)