Critter Country at Disneyland Resort

Vintage Walt Disney World: Kitchen Kabaret or Food Rocks?

posted on November 14th, 2013 by Nate Rasmussen, Archivist, Marketing Resource Center

Tomorrow is National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day. I’m doing my part to give you the heads up now so that you can prepare to dig out that expired salad dressing from 2011 and put it in the trash. To inspire you, here’s a look at some vintage, musical fridge items who starred in Kitchen Kabaret and Food Rocks at the Land Pavilion in Epcot.

Vintage Walt Disney World Scenes From Kitchen Kabaret and Food Rocks at the Land Pavilion in Epcot Vintage Walt Disney World Scenes From Kitchen Kabaret and Food Rocks at the Land Pavilion in Epcot

As the Refrigerator Police sang during Food Rocks, “We must conclude, you depend on food. So we just repeat, you are what you eat.”

Which of these past attractions did you like best? Tell us in the “Comments” section below.

Filed: Disney History, Epcot, Walt Disney World Resort

Jim on November 14th, 2013 at 8:58 am

Food Rocks! Gotta love The Peach Boys and The Refrigerator Police!

Nate Rasmussen on November 14th, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I still laugh thinking about Pita Gabriel.

Meagan on November 14th, 2013 at 8:58 am

Totally Food Rocks. I grew up on that show, and it was one of my favourite things at Epcot, along with Living with the Land. (What can I say? I like the slow paced stuff.) I miss that show! :)

Michael on November 14th, 2013 at 9:18 am

Wow, can’t believe this is even a question … like asking if Journey into Imagination is better with or without Figment.

Kitchen Kabaret, totally. Veggie, Veggie, Fruit, Fruit!

Sarah on November 14th, 2013 at 9:31 am

Food Rocks! I think I made my parents take me like ten times in one day when I was a kid. I still get some of the songs stuck in my head occasionally.

Nate Rasmussen on November 14th, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Me too! :)

Carolyn from NY on November 14th, 2013 at 9:40 am

Kitchen Kabaret was my favorite, Love those Veggie, Veggie, Fruit, Fruit guys and Eggs and Bacon.

Anthony on November 14th, 2013 at 9:50 am

My favorite was Kitchen Kabaret! I really love the older animatronic shows! As nice as the redesigned Land pavilion is I miss the old, more country, look.

EPCOT is still my favorite park, though!

Joyce on November 14th, 2013 at 9:55 am

i admit, i really miss having a food-centric attraction in the Land Pavillion. while i did see Kitchen Kabaret, i grew up mainly with Food Rocks (loved the interactive smell crates in front!). My older sister grew up singing with Kitchen Kabaret though, and i’m sure we had a tape cassette that featured some of their great songs, but my favorite will always be the duo of Mr Hamm and Mr Eggz. They won’t forget the lickin’ they got from that big chicken, now they get their poultry from the store!

Nate Rasmussen on November 14th, 2013 at 12:41 pm

The smell crates were fun!

Amanda from FL on November 14th, 2013 at 10:02 am

I liked them both but without a doubt Kitchen Kabaret! Can they please bring it back??

Kris on November 14th, 2013 at 11:32 am

I LOVED that show, I wish they would bring it back. I run around saying, “veggie, veggie, fruit, fruit!”

Paul on November 14th, 2013 at 11:34 am

I still miss the Kitchen Kaberet, because of its originality. I remember learning about the 4 food groups when I was a kid. While all that has changed over the years, but I still remember most of the songs from the presentation. Great and fun show! Veggie Fruit Fruit!

Angela on November 14th, 2013 at 11:47 am

Please bring them back!!

Peggy on November 14th, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Food Rocks!! My kids(who are adults now)—still sing Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit –when we happen to all be in the car together. We were just at WDW last week for the Food and Wine Fest…they commented how they missed that show!

Susanne from FL on November 14th, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Kitchen Kabaret without a doubt! Michael said above, it’s like choosing between Journey Into Imagination with or without figment, or, more accurately, with or without Dreamfinder. Veggie Fruit fruit! Please come back!

Andrea from BC on November 14th, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Definitely Kitchen Kabaret! I still get the songs stuck in my head. :-)

Chad on November 14th, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Absolutely no doubt that Kitchen Kabaret is tops. I even think that I’d prefer the Kabaret over Soarin’! *gasp*

It was such a pleasant surprise to see Bonnie Appetite backstage on the Backstage Magic tour at Walt Disney World. I was the only one on the tour freaking out over seeing her for the first time in a couple of decades.

Melanie from FL on November 14th, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Nothing will be better than the original Kitchen Kabaret. I spent much of my childhood watching from the front row.

Vanessa from NJ on November 14th, 2013 at 3:55 pm

It HAS to be Kitchen Kabaret! My favorite was the pink dairy girl (yogurt I think?) – she was so pretty :) And of course Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit…. Ham n Eggs….. Bonnie Appetite…. so many great acts!

Matthew on November 14th, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Food Rocks! “Every bite you take, every milk you shake, it’s a part of you….”

JOSEPH from IL on November 14th, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Loved Food Rocks! Sorry to see it go. But Soarin is a great replacement.

Karen on November 15th, 2013 at 4:00 am

Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit is the best! It’s like the Imagination Pavilion’s first version of their show, with Figment and the Dream Finder, as well as the first version of the Enchanted Tiki Room vs. Under New Management!

Please bring back our best buddies! We miss them!

Wendy from CA on November 15th, 2013 at 10:15 am

Food Rocks! I’m probably one of the few who wish it were still there instead of Soarin’.

Kristin from OH on November 15th, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I miss both!!! However Kitchen Kabaret is one of my first Disney memories and would love to see it return! Put it in the theatre where Timon and Pumba’s move is!

Linda from NJ on November 16th, 2013 at 10:26 am

Food Rocks!

Amy on November 21st, 2013 at 9:03 am

Kitchen Kabaret all the way! My mom and I will still sing the Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit song. It reminds me of my childhood and feel that while Food Rocks was cute, it just didn’t stand up to Kitchen Kabaret.